Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO "pothole repair" reducing available runways

Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum

This isn’t new, and if it’s not weather delays at SFO, it seems to always be due to runway construction. That being said, it seems ridiculous that UA would file a full schedule, knowing that it’s operationally impossible to either a) run an ontime operation, b) recovering from said delays isn’t going to magically correct itself, c) it’s going to create issues for the downward segments of the aircraft.

All the FAs and gate agents giving announcements today made it sound like SFO airport officials decided this very morning to work on the runway, yet like 2 years ago when this was going on, SFO airport officials specifically outlined the time of day they would be doing the construction work.

Pretty poor planning on UAs part of you ask me. I realize delays are inevitable, but they shouldn’t publish a full schedule that’s going to inevitably result in 2-3 hour delays because ATC is going to have to restrict airflow into the airport.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 2019 at 3:47 pm Reason: Thread title updated due to new information
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I wouldn't like that if I needed to fly out of SFO and all the seats were sold out. 2-3 hour delays are always a possibility I plan for when I fly anywhere in the world.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
In this case it was an emergency repair causing the problem: Pothole shuts down SFO runway, causes dozens of flight delays
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Agree...this was in fact an emergency repair that was discovered this morning. Not United's fault, or any reason to bash United. Facts matter.

On they other hand, they have also already announced repair work that will take place in September.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Agree...this was in fact an emergency repair that was discovered this morning. Not United's fault, or any reason to bash United. Facts matter.

On they other hand, they have also already announced repair work that will take place in September.
Ok my mistake for posting fake news. I had read that they were starting runway work back in February and I thought it was a continuation of that. My understanding of SFO was that due to the fact that it was built on a landfill, the pothole issue isnt new.

That being said, for scheduled work, I hope UA takes that into consideration and doesnt create the mess they had two years ago when they reduced the number of available runways.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
This was on the local news this morning. Apparently they get between 60-70 potholes per year, this one was just so exceptionally bad that they had to do emergency repairs rather than make do with maintenance during off hours. The problem seems to be the underlying concrete. It's decades old at this point so it doesn't really guard against subsidence in the asphalt. The upcoming announced repairs are to replace this underlying concrete on the runway with the pothole.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.