Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Generally, these purchase do not earn PQDs, starting in 2019, some PQM purchases do earn PQDs Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brp1264

OP - I recommend you make a trip over to HKG via SFO or EWR in either Premium Plus or Business. For PP, prices are just under $2,000 and you get 13,000 miles each way. You can get take a ferry to Macau for some gambling and also hang out in Hong Kong as well.
Or just buy SFO-HKG directly in biz for $3,600 rt in mid-Nov

Plenty of deals TransPac out of SFO in mid-Nov, starting from ORD jumps the price dramatically - so get yourself to SFO cheaply
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
That works too!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
This is going to suck. I will hit 85k in BIS miles and surpass $15k PQD by the conclusion of my last flight in 12/30 of this year. Wonder what kind of deal I will be offered to buy-up to 1k. I might be able to squeeze in a couple of additional flight (1x PDX-PIT RT RT in Z and 1x PDX-SFO RT in Z but that will be end of flying for 2019).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:49 pm

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
Going to just miss making 1k this year, anyway of getting those extra miles?

I have a friend that has been a 1K member for a few years now, but this year is going to be short for requalifying.
Are there any ways to get some extra status qualifying miles to get over the edge (besides doing a mileage run)? I remember reading one time, that purchasing miles in a certain way can count towards status.

Thank you
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Will the shortage be miles or money ??
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Do your friend have the necessary PQD - that is often the harder part.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Your friend can buy PQMs (premier qualifying miles). The key words are "Premier Accelerator". These miles are available at booking time and at check-in. They're not cheap, and the price goes up as the year passes.

You can make a random reservation, purchase it with added Premier Accelerator miles, and cancel the reservation without losing the miles.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It is only June. There are numerous ways to get the necessary PQM in time. (SDC to force a connection, paying for an UG to First, flying a quick MR, etc).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Surprised that the mileage is the hard part. I would think most people would have trouble hitting the new PQD target. I still need to figure out how to spend another $1k or so before the end of the year to requalify...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Surprised that the mileage is the hard part. I would think most people would have trouble hitting the new PQD target. I still need to figure out how to spend another $1k or so before the end of the year to requalify...
you'd be surprised how many are short PQM and not PQD. Quite a few colleagues fly mid week to Europe twice a year; there is your $15k, but only 30k PQM ...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
you'd be surprised how many are short PQM and not PQD. Quite a few colleagues fly mid week to Europe twice a year; there is your $15k, but only 30k PQM ...
in Y no less.

Some folks at work often travel last minute on short domestic routes. They usually have enough spend for 1K but barely enough to cross Silver on PQM.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
With the big move out of NJ this year my flying/spending is down and it looks like I will be short on PQD at the end of the year. If I buy award miles does that purchase count towards PQD now? I read what I could find on the topic but I can't find an answer. If I buy miles associated with an upcoming flight ? If I just buy miles outright? Thanks in advance. I am having trouble picturing myself without status after 32 years.......
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gene2632
With the big move out of NJ this year my flying/spending is down and it looks like I will be short on PQD at the end of the year. If I buy award miles does that purchase count towards PQD now? I read what I could find on the topic but I can't find an answer. If I buy miles associated with an upcoming flight ? If I just buy miles outright? Thanks in advance. I am having trouble picturing myself without status after 32 years.......
No, PQD only come from flying. You can upfare on an upcoming flight to spend and earn more PQD on it.

Which status are you considering, and what will your gap be?

edit: see below for one more option; I did not know about that promo.

Last edited by fumje; Jul 6, 2019 at 6:50 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gene2632
Simpling buy miles will not earn PQDs.
Buying Premier or Award Accelerator (offered made in conjunction with purchased flights) will not earn PQDs.
{not presently available -- for me} A new PQMs purchase promo ( Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email ) will earn PQDs, {This was a vailable a few weeks ago and may become available in the future -- or may not}

The other approach is to upfare an existing flight

Originally Posted by fumje
No, PQD only comes from flying. ...
That has changed during certain promos

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2019 at 6:54 pm Reason: merged responses
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Thanks for all of the input. Now one more question, do dollars spent on international upgrades from Y to J--reward miles plus dollars--count toward PDQ? we do have a trip to Venice coming up in the fall and still debating the chance of an upgrade request clearing on that one in early September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.