Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

☔ Travel Waiver: Colorado Winter Weather (April 10, 2019 - April 11, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

☔ Travel Waiver: Colorado Winter Weather (April 10, 2019 - April 11, 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Wind is picking up in my part of SE metro area. Still not enough to not make my kid walk home from school.
UAPremierGuy and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Well, it seems UA has gone full-bore and cancelled pretty much everything for the rest of the day. Landed in SFO from HKG, to find that my flight to Denver on the 777 had been cancelled. My following flight to ASE was also already cancelled. Alternative airports out of DEN were a no-go as well, as all flights appear to have been cancelled. Thankfully, I was able to re-book on UA to PHX, and then AA to GJT. I added my EXP number to the reservation, and am #1 on the upgrade list. I am typing this from a warm and HOT PHX Admiral's Club, where my fingers are crossed that I make it into GJT without issue.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
430 PM, SE Denver: Winds up to 20-25 mph, snowfall fairly heavy, not sticking to roads or sidewalks.

Looks like the Weather Service missed on this one by about 3 hours - they should have started the blizzard warning at 3 PM or even later.

Airlines likely could have run their full schedule at DIA up to 3 PM today, but of course it's not just the weather on the ground, it's the weather at the various arrival and departure altitudes.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
WHAT summers in Denver? It's snow, snow, snow! And more snow! Drifts higher than the wild bison that wander around! Neither the stagecoach nor the Pony Express can get through!
Screw the wild bison. Check this out (taken not 5 miles from my place):

Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Screw the wild bison. Check this out (taken not 5 miles from my place):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gE0HD3V0aw
The dramatic movie music is just oh-so-perfect. Said no one ever.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

630 PM: Blowing snow; maybe an inch; roads lightly coated but eminently passable. Not a blizzard by any stretch. Forecasters missed this one for Denver. Plains to the northeast worse.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:07 pm

Welcome to Spring in the Rockies

All five of today's flights DEN-ASE were cancelled relatively early (meaning first two ASE-DEN of tomorrow morning are cancelled as well)
Visibility at ASE would have been a problem all day - in ASE today we have had several hour long periods of blizzard conditions interspersed with hour long periods with no precipitation. It appears the headache is in DEN and as UAPremier Guy reported pretty much everything UAL out of DIA is cancelled for the evening, as well as a number of aeroplanes that RON at DEN.

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Well, it seems UA has gone full-bore and cancelled pretty much everything for the rest of the day. Landed in SFO from HKG, to find that my flight to Denver on the 777 had been cancelled. My following flight to ASE was also already cancelled. Alternative airports out of DEN were a no-go as well, as all flights appear to have been cancelled. Thankfully, I was able to re-book on UA to PHX, and then AA to GJT. I added my EXP number to the reservation, and am #1 on the upgrade list. I am typing this from a warm and HOT PHX Admiral's Club, where my fingers are crossed that I make it into GJT without issue.

Last edited by Aspen; Apr 10, 2019 at 7:19 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA
  1. I have a RT ticket both connecting via DEN with outbound on 4/10(already travelled) and inbound on 4/12. Can I change the inbound leg under waiver?
  2. In general when these waiver happens, does the routing rule no longer apply, i.e. I can potentially change into ps routes for free?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Looks like they swapped in two 772s for DEN-ORD to help with the backlog of pax.

I put in a VDB bid of $1000. I picked the first non-stop tomorrow morning, but I would actually take an overnight connection through ORD so that I can get to my final destination two hours earlier.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fattygoose
  1. I have a RT ticket both connecting via DEN with outbound on 4/10(already travelled) and inbound on 4/12. Can I change the inbound leg under waiver?
  2. In general when these waiver happens, does the routing rule no longer apply, i.e. I can potentially change into ps routes for free?
1. No.
2. If what you're asking for makes sense to the agent, then yes. LAX-DEN-LGA to LAX-EWR? Most likely. LAX-DEN-AUS to LAX-EWR-AUS? Not without a really good reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.