Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Kindness of Elites

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: United
My personal contribution to cabin maintenance: on long-haul flights, I make an effort to keep the lavatory refuse bin in-check by compressing the overflowing hand towels to the bottom of the bin. I’ll also go beyond cleaning the wash basin and give the toilet seat a wipe down (if necessary). I know — you’re all totally grossed out by the thought of me sticking my arm and shoulder into the trash, but I do give a scrub with soap and water afterward.
seanp7, wrp96, jb64 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My usual meal order has always been "whatever you have left over". There is rarely a real difference in my mind.
Agree. I might indicate a first choice, but add "I'm flexible--whatever is left"

Also, I try to help people who are not strong enough or tall enough to easily stow or remove their carryon in or from the overhead bin.
BlueSky72 likes this.

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; Apr 9, 2019 at 11:28 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Despite my best efforts to give them away, I always end up with leftover drink chits. Usually that leaves me in January looking around for kind-seeming couples waiting at the gate that I can give the chits to. It's always nice to see somebody pleasantly surprised!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:04 am

Years ago, when my wife and I were both NW Plats, we were on a NW World Vacations package in Shanghai. We had become friendly with all nine others in our tour group, and when we were at PVG to return home, we asked at check in about upgrading, mentioning we were part of a NW package with nine others. You can imagine our surprise when the agent proactively upgraded all 11 of us to the upper deck of a 747-400. The others in our group thought we had some clout with NW, but really, all we did was mention the group. None of them had ever been in business class before, so you can imagine their excitement. My wife and I used to often chuckle about that, but it was completely not our doing, at least not overtly. In those days our upgrades had a 78% success rate, no instruments required.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:12 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Uh...that's backwards, buddy (with the caveat that some bags legitimately don't fit wheels in - but wheels in is the primary position).
Not so. The bins are made wider at the opening than at the back, and the wheels cause extra width, so wheels out is the correct positioning, provided that there's some sort of handle on the bottom which can be used to pull the bag out. It's the same sort of thing as in CRJs, where a rolling computer bag will simply not fit wheels in but no problem with wheels out.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:07 am

For those of you who give away GPU's or RPU's, how is that possible? They are electronic coupons. And besides that, they are essentially useless. I have never been able to successfully use one for an upgrade.

Last edited by SpartyAir; Apr 10, 2019 at 6:08 am Reason: grammer
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
On the PMCO 772's in J, I'll always ask the person next to me if they've traveled in this type of seat before. If they haven't, I ask if they'd like a quick briefing, which they've always appreciated. First thing is I warn them that anything they put on the shelf in front of them will come flying out at them on take off. Second is a suggestion to put anything in their pockets that's valuable in their carry on, noting that if it slips into the gap between the seat cushion and side of the seat, that it will be a huge pain to retrieve it. And finally a few other pointers, like how to turn the overhead lights on/off without hitting the FA call button on the handset..
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
This thread is heartwarming. 💕
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by SpartyAir
For those of you who give away GPU's or RPU's, how is that possible? They are electronic coupons. And besides that, they are essentially useless. I have never been able to successfully use one for an upgrade.
You can apply them to others reservations, assuming they are in the correct fare class.
I've given some at the gate as well
And in regards to having them cleared, you can look at the thread "GPU success" and you'll see plenty of success stories.
If you need help looking for the space, you can PM and I'll gladly take a look

I always try to guest others into the lounge, I'll often pass by my departure gate and see if anyone is waiting there sitting uncomfortably working on their laptop and offer to bring them in.

The drink vouchers i just used a bunch on EWR-Den
was sitting in Eco+ (that's what happens when you book T-2hr lol) and a few pax next to be where about to pay for some beers so I politely asked the FA if I can "sponsor" and the look on their faces was worth so much, that I'm considering flying Y on the return as well
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing I find myself doing often is helping people sitting in a bulkhead seat deploy the IFE system on a 767/777.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Uh...that's backwards, buddy (with the caveat that some bags legitimately don't fit wheels in - but wheels in is the primary position).
Wheels inboard are the preferred orientation on most aircraft but SOME bins are shaped so the only way to close them is for the largest side to be outboard and this is usually the wheel side. I've been on many flights where the only way to close the door was to have the rollaboard turned around with wheels out.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Wheels inboard are the preferred orientation on most aircraft but SOME bins are shaped so the only way to close them is for the largest side to be outboard and this is usually the wheel side. I've been on many flights where the only way to close the door was to have the rollaboard turned around with wheels out.
Correct, agreed 100% (as I alluded to in my post). The original assertion that elites know you must always stick the wheels out was what generated my initial comment and was and remains an absurd comment.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TomMM
One thing I find myself doing often is helping people sitting in a bulkhead seat deploy the IFE system on a 767/777.
The struggle is definitely real. Somehow this happens way too often, still.
BlueSky72 and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
The struggle is definitely real. Somehow this happens way too often, still.
And it’s just not on UA flights. I’ve also encountered it on OS.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
To apply an instrument you need the record number, etc. which is best done before the individual travels. I just had two friends return to Hawaii using my GPUs that were going to expire this month. They love it, and it's a nice gesture

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.