Wiki Posts
Search

The Kindness of Elites

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by seanp7
When a nervous traveler across the aisle from me asked me to just talk to her so she could relax a little, I was more than happy to help out. Normally, as an introvert, I keep to myself on flights but this was a request for help and I was more than happy to assist. I gave her a drink coupon too (for the 50 min flight), which she used, and we had a nice little conversation.

I know there are horror stories and Seat Switching threads etc that can show the worst of all of us, but reading about kind acts on United flights can be really uplifting...
Is there a "kindness on planes" thread? The best thing I ever witnessed was when a mom with three little kids was obviously struggling to keep them all under control and they were all basically screaming for her attention at the same time... when one of the FA's came up, picked up the littlest one and just kept walking holding the toddler in her arms for the next 20-30 minutes carrying him around the plane so the mom could get the other two under control. FA didn't seem at all annoyed, just was genuinely nice and caring with the toddler who was instantly soothed. Mom seemed extremely grateful.
iluv2fly, jsloan, cawhite and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
(snip) puts their rollaboards wheels out so the bins can close
Uh...that's backwards, buddy (with the caveat that some bags legitimately don't fit wheels in - but wheels in is the primary position).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
I missed the days that I can just go to SFO-ICN gate every January and give away my SWUs to the soldiers for the flight.
cawhite and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Also applies to Priority Pass. Small moments where you can save someone who's obviously about to purchase access some money make their day, and thereby mine
Saw this just last night at Heathrow. Guy asking the people in line behind him ‘anybody here planning to pay?’

it does happen.

BlueSky72 and maverickar15 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Uh...that's backwards, buddy (with the caveat that some bags legitimately don't fit wheels in - but wheels in is the primary position).
Maybe he meant wheels "out" as in towards the outside of the AC? Just a thought I had dissecting the statement. I too was a little confused at first when I read it.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:03 am

Also applies to Priority Pass. Small moments where you can save someone who's obviously about to purchase access some money make their day, and thereby mine
+1. Always
cricketer and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:14 am

It's so easy to be kind, and the karma can be rewarding. I've always had fun gifting my drink vouchers to unassuming flyers waiting for their flights at the gate. I single out those who seem to be nervous or apparently infrequent flyers. If I'm pressed for time, I sometimes hand them to a friendly FA, asking them to be handed out on upcoming flights. A very minor gesture, I know, but it still elicits surprised looks and appreciative smiles.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by flyme2
It's so easy to be kind, and the karma can be rewarding. I've always had fun gifting my drink vouchers to unassuming flyers waiting for their flights at the gate. I single out those who seem to be nervous or apparently infrequent flyers. If I'm pressed for time, I sometimes hand them to a friendly FA, asking them to be handed out on upcoming flights. A very minor gesture, I know, but it still elicits surprised looks and appreciative smiles.
I like doing this at Christmas time, especially those traveling with small humans. The vouchers expire in January and seems a great way to celebrate the reason for the season.

Although I do like the idea of asking the FAs to spread the joy.
cawhite and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I like doing this at Christmas time, especially those traveling with small humans. The vouchers expire in January and seems a great way to celebrate the reason for the season.

Although I do like the idea of asking the FAs to spread the joy.
I like to find folks in BG5 to hand them out to. Usually on Xmas eve.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I find that most very frequent fliers are considerate of the others around them because they, themselves, have suffered through years of, "...The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune", in their travels.
Indeed, but one meets a few FFs who forget their roots.

The best thing I ever witnessed was when a mom with three little kids was obviously struggling to keep them all under control and they were all basically screaming for her attention at the same time... when one of the FA's came up, picked up the littlest one and just kept walking holding the toddler in her arms for the next 20-30 minutes carrying him around the plane so the mom could get the other two under control.
Many years ago a distressed and tearful female UM of maybe six or seven years was deposited in the last seat on the plane five minutes before push: the B seat next to my A. I swapped with her so she could have the window, kept her chatting, got drawing materials out of my briefcase and asked her to do her best cat, horse, etc. and within 30 minutes or so she was OK. When we landed 90 minutes later we were fast friends and the grateful cabin staff gave me a dollars-off voucher. Today the optics around men befriending strange children are different and I do not think I would do it again. Perhaps ask a woman passenger to swap with me -- not because women cannot be predators, but because of toxic prevailing prejudices.

Last edited by BearX220; Apr 9, 2019 at 8:11 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've guested strangers into lounges if I've been stuck behind them whilst they find out they don't have access for all of them....caveat: as long as they're not being an ... about it.

More often than not in Admirals Clubs (where my OW Emerald status gets me endless drinks vouchers) I'll give away my coupons when I leave. I look for someone who hasn't been screaming down their cellphone or who looks less likely to be on an expense account. If not I'll just fan them out on the stand beside where I'm sat.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Back in the old days Continental Plats could upgrade a traveling companion into FC (space permitting)...didn't have to be on the same PNR. I upgraded a few strangers (including a serviceman one time), most of whom had never been in FC before and who were extremely grateful.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
What a nice thread

On behalf of all working flight crews... thank you to those of you who change your meal orders if you hear us denying another passenger. It goes a looonnngggg way for us (I'll avoid my usual rant about pre-ordering to keep the thread positive).
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:08 am

Location: Never far from an international airport, unless I'm far from home
Programs: MileagePlus, Hilton Honors, National Emerald Club. Wegmans Shoppers Club.
I did this at one of the PP restaurants at BOS yesterday, despite not really being hungry myself.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
Maybe he meant wheels "out" as in towards the outside of the AC? Just a thought I had dissecting the statement. I too was a little confused at first when I read it.
Slightly different interpretation here based on my own experiences. I have a couple bags that don't fit in the overhead "wheels in" (handles toward the aisle) but I do know they fit perfectly if I turn them around and the wheels are toward the aisle. I often see pax (hopefully those who don't fly often) who shove their bag in the overhead, obviously not fitting, and just leaving it there for someone else to deal with. If I see someone struggling to get their bag to fit, I'll help them by at least suggesting they turn the bag around wheels out (or sometimes flipping it upside down in the bin also makes a difference, based on my own experiences).

Like others - it's not hard to do something nice to make things a bit easier for someone else, whether it's a fellow pax or an airline employee. So many of the gestures mentioned already in this thread are ones I've done myself from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.