Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Underneath the seat is for my feet. Unless it suits me to put something there. I do not know where this "under the seat in front of you" thing started but it has spread like a virus and is getting more aggressively policed.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by onthesam
until recently I had never heard a PA on the subject. Now I've heard something on 2 of my last 10 flights.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Underneath the seat is for my feet. Unless it suits me to put something there. I do not know where this "under the seat in front of you" thing started but it has spread like a virus and is getting more aggressively policed.
Is there a FT UA FA who can help us understand the genesis of this and why? I too have heard something familiar on my last couple of flights.

It surely cannot all be coincidental, but perhaps it is.

My thought is it is a recipe for DVT if people cannot stretch their legs and keep the blood circulating. I had a friend on a ULH flight whose seat did not recline and little room to stretch her legs and got off the plane purple. She is an avid runner who works out at the gym every day so DVT is a real concern in small spaces, especially a plane.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I rarely see much abuse on domestic flights - most people have one bag but there are more than a few like myself that have a 22" suitcase and a backpack/large handbag combo. Maybe 1 in 100 has a third item and maybe 1 in 50 a suitcase that will not fit wheel out in a standard 737, 757 or 319 bin. So I think the abuse part is overrated. For international I normally fly paid C and sometimes have a small shopping bag with duty free when I'm headed home in addition to my 22" and swiss laptop backpack, but I have never ever seen the Polaris bins 100% full - usually the opposite with plenty of open space. So I'm not taking anyone's space with my duty free or even my backpack when flying TATL or TPAC.

As for the "policy" I've said it before and will say it again: I fully expect to put both my items in the overhead bin, and think I've earned that privilege, both through status and by flying on full Y domestic for business and paid C international. If UA decides to mandate that all 2nd carry-on items must go under the seat, I will switch to another airline for my domestic travel. That's non-negotiable for me. I don't check bags except on Qantas where I have no choice (or on a ski trip). I could not care in the least if a Group 3-5 customer has to check a bag because the bins are full. Better them than me as they probably paid less and have no status.
I have 'status' and have checked bags on practically every flight for longer than I care to remember. (Tools, test equipment, Locked hard cases etc.) I also normally have ONE carryon and ONE personal item. That said I pay for my seat and I will choose which item(s) goes into the overhead and what I keep with my feet under the seat in front of me. A little abrasive? What do you expect after dealing with all the pitfalls and annoyances involved with flying today, compassion for those who expect to be accommodated rate low to non existent on my list.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I too have heard something familiar on my last couple of flights.
Just ask one - they've been asked to communicate the policy that a personal item goes under the seat in front of you. It's right on the United website.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Just ask one - they've been asked to communicate the policy that a personal item goes under the seat in front of you. It's right on the United website.
So if I choose only to bring a personal item and not a carryon AND a personal item I am to be penalized with less space at my feet? And if you are in an exit row, bulkhead seat what are you supposed to do exactly? You cannot comply with this "policy".

Easily solved issue for me. If the policy is only the carryon goes into the overhead then my personal item is in a carryon. Obviously the carryon takes up more room than my personal item but United's policy is only to put carryon in the overhead. Very short sighted of them in my opinion.

@HNLbasedFlyer do realize you are only reporting the policy, but until recently had not heard/experienced this being enforced unless it is a new policy.

I suspect the real reason this "policy" is now being enforced is that so many people who are not frequent flyers use a carryon instead of paying a checked luggage fee and then need to green tag the bag and wait for the carryon to be returned at the gate and some MCTs can be very tight and people are missing flights because they need to wait for their carryon which did not fit in the overhead bins. Again, United brought this on themselves when they introduced checked luggage fees.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Meanwhile, Friday night I saw a passenger take up a substantial section of an overhead with his hat. Luckily, the flight wasn't full and there was plenty of room for everyone's carry-ons.
If every passenger brings one of those hats, that would be a problem.....
onthesam likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So if I choose only to bring a personal item...
As mentioned upthread, if you only bring on one piece of baggage then its a carry-on*

*obv if you are on a BE fare without status, its another matter - but this thread is on FT and mainly aimed at those with status

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Apr 28, 2019 at 3:50 pm Reason: Added caveat about BE fares
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
As mentioned upthread, if you only bring on one piece of baggage then its a carry-on*

*obv if you are on a BE fare without status, its another matter - but this thread is on FT and mainly aimed at those with status
Except on my flight on Thursday I was asked to put my handbag under the seat in front of me to make room for someone else's carryon. I did not have a separate item. I did not argue as I wanted to get home and next flight was not for four hours. Next trip my handbag is going in a carryon.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
UA could start charging for bin space. That would incentivize folks to stick their crap at their feet, and leave plenty of space for those of us willing to pay (Kirby if you're listening please give PQD for such charges. Dynamic charging based upon expected bin usage, while crappy, is acceptable).

Last edited by onthesam; Apr 28, 2019 at 9:51 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by onthesam
UA could start charging for bin space.
That's a GREAT idea!
At the gate, all carry-on is placed in a 3D scanner and weighed at the same time, and a dimension x weight price is then calculated and charged.
I'd welcome that as I hardly ever take much carry-on for my travels.
onthesam likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:28 pm
Suspended

I can understand why FA made such announcements.
I see some people put hand bags in overhead bin, horizontally.. They could have put the bag under seat, but no, they didn't want to lose an inch of foot space.
ATLintheair likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA
In my experience this sort of thing was more of a problem 2-3 years ago but nowadays they just start gate checking bags once the bins are full. I think more pax are prepared to gate check bags these days too.

I flew UA last week and they made no mention of any of this, although they did seem to manage to get all of the bags in. When I flew around the Christmas time pax were told to keep going to find bin space; when they got to the end of the plane without finding any space the bag was hauled back up front and no more carryons were allowed on; anyone left had to gate-check I believe.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
In my experience this sort of thing was more of a problem 2-3 years ago but nowadays they just start gate checking bags once the bins are full. I think more pax are prepared to gate check bags these days too.

I flew UA last week and they made no mention of any of this, although they did seem to manage to get all of the bags in. When I flew around the Christmas time pax were told to keep going to find bin space; when they got to the end of the plane without finding any space the bag was hauled back up front and no more carryons were allowed on; anyone left had to gate-check I believe.
Basic Economy tickets have also mitigated this problem to a noticeable degree. I've stopped paying attention, but when it was introduced I was actually often quite surprised by how many people were flying BE.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Basic Economy tickets have also mitigated this problem to a noticeable degree. I've stopped paying attention, but when it was introduced I was actually often quite surprised by how many people were flying BE.
It's getting better but with many OTA's it can be almost impossible to tell you are buying a BE ticket. I know quite a few infrequent fliers who ask for my help post ticket purchase because they don't understand what a BE fare is. I get that booking through UA.bomb makes it very clear but fewer causal/non loyal fliers do this but are rather just searching for the best price.

I did clarify via twitter that there is no 'requirement' to place a bag under the seat but that it is a suggestion on the part of the crew. The way that I've seen FA's come through it feels a lot like the suggestion Dr. Dao received to debark...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:22 pm

It's a sad development. I first encountered this when another passenger took it upon himself to pull my backpack out of the overhead to put his large roll-aboard in. He then declared the backpack doesn't belong up here.
So, if I put the backpack in a large, otherwise empty roll-aboard, then I can leave it up there right?
A lot of seats just don' t have underseat storage.
This policy seems to go the wrong way, encouraging everybody to travel with a lot more than they need to.
On the other hand, you gotta love those ERJ's where roll-aboards have nowhere to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.