Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
@pindi, you really need to stop the self-flagellation. While the FA in question was rude and out of line, the other passenger ended up having to check his bag. You filed your complaint with United so they know the FA was unprofessional. Time to get on with your life.

WRT the ongoing discussion about overhead versus underseat storage, I think we all agree that the people who board loaded for bear and then proceed to use up all the overhead space without putting anything at their feet are out of line. Where I think we differ is in whether we have a "right" to a certain amount of overhead space versus whether we have a "duty" to use the underseat storage for what we can before loading things into the overhead. Proponents of the former position feel that as long as they are using less than "their share" of the overhead, they are entitled to have footroom and heck with everyone else. Proponents of the latter position feel that everyone should try to use the underseat storage as much as they can before taking up "community" space in the overhead.

People in the former position seem to feel like someone is getting one over on them if they don't make use of "their" space in the overhead bins while people in the latter position seem to feel like people who don't even try to use their underseat storage for personal items are being selfish. I'm in the middle. I recognize the former position but I try to abide by the latter. The OP physically could NOT put the laptop under the seat in front so it's perfectly understandable that it went in the overhead. The late passenger couldn't fit his rollaboard ... that's tough, but all of us should know by now that gate checking is always a potential risk of getting to the gate late. At the same time, the GAs and FAs are people too ... most of them are just trying to accommodate as many people as possible and run a conflict-free operation. Some small minority may be on a power trip but most of them really aren't. Is it too much to ask to treat each other as humans without all the drama?
You must be a certified facilitator...or a hostage negotiator!
SportDiver likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
@pindi Proponents of the former position feel that as long as they are using less than "their share" of the overhead, they are entitled to have foot-room and heck with everyone else.
As a founding member of the "former" position, I'd say "the heck with everyone else" is a bit of a biased misrepresentation. My feeling quite specifically is... when the overhead bins are full and space must be made that the minimalist one bag traveler should not be the first one to be "punished" for their choice to travel light. I'd suggest that perhaps the FA should first look to remove offending oversized luggage... or offer free gate-checking to late boarding passengers rather than targeting the earlier arriving (and probably more loyal to the airline) passengers.

Just my opinion. But I realize this is a philosophical difference that will not be resolved. Just wanted to clear up that I'm not indifferent to the woes of other air travelers, which is why I do my darnedest to travel with as little as possible.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
I was on a UA flight from ORD where a FA made several announcements to "hang on to your coats until all the luggage is in the overhead bins". I was sitting near the exit row. Some guy gets on, throws his leather jacket in the overhead bin behind me and continues down the aisle toward the back of the plane. The next time the FA who made the announcement came down the aisle, she took one look at the leather jacket and grabbed it, and started screaming at the man behind me, "WHAT DID I SAY? WHAT DID I SAY? IS THIS YOURS? IS THIS YOURS????" The man held up both hands like he was being robbed and said, "IT'S NOT MINE! IT'S NOT MINE!". Another guy tattled, "It's a guy sitting toward the back with a red backpack and a Blackhawks jersey!" The FA stormed down the aisle, found the guy and whipped the leather jacket at his head. Those FAs are serious about coats not taking up space in the overhead bins.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by LordHamster
As a founding member of the "former" position, I'd say "the heck with everyone else" is a bit of a biased misrepresentation. My feeling quite specifically is... when the overhead bins are full and space must be made that the minimalist one bag traveler should not be the first one to be "punished" for their choice to travel light. I'd suggest that perhaps the FA should first look to remove offending oversized luggage... or offer free gate-checking to late boarding passengers rather than targeting the earlier arriving (and probably more loyal to the airline) passengers.
Totally agree. In addition, true carry-ons offer better protection for the content than something like a laptop bag.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCAFly
You must be a certified facilitator...or a hostage negotiator!
My colleagues would agree that I'm certified but at something other than facilitation ...
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by photoagent101
Unfortunately, somehow the airlines, the government, and the flying public have allowed airlines to have their way, charging us more and more in fees, cramming us closer together, to the point where flying has become an inhuman experience. I feel like a prisoner flying these days. There's absolutely no enjoyment in the flying experience; it's generally all bad, no good. If you express irritation from the inhumane conditions, an FA's rudeness or made-up rules, or a fellow passenger's bad behavior, you run the very large chance of being arrested, since even raising your voice is a cause for being such. It's absurd.
Oh, there is still plenty of enjoyment for me in flying. I get great FAs about 30% of the time, some who go out of their way to make my flight experience special (although most of those remember me because of my frequency on their routes, and I tip gift cards for great service). I also like UA's lie-flats compared to the LH, NH, TG, OZ, SQ biz class seats, and find that I am able to relax and sleep, allowing me to arrive at my destination with a can-do, let's get to work attitude. I don't care about the soft-product at all since I don't drink alcohol and never eat on flights anymore, so I don't care that UA is inferior to most other carriers in this regard. I am able to compartmentalize my negative feelings and do my best to ignore them, focusing instead on the job/trip ahead rather than the poor treatment onboard.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2021 at 10:09 pm Reason: FT 12.2
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I have a flight this afternoon, debating whether to take a large bag or my small one. Apparently I'm better off taking up more space with the large one. God forbid I travel light, that will get me in trouble...
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I have a flight this afternoon, debating whether to take a large bag or my small one. Apparently I'm better off taking up more space with the large one. God forbid I travel light, that will get me in trouble...
Stuff your tiny bag into a massive bag that exceeds the allowable size by 2 inches in every dimension and only fits in the overhead sideways.... you'll be rewarded with more legroom for free.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:48 am

There is a business opportunity here: expanding luggage. Luggage not big enough to be allowed into the overhead? Push a button and an external bladder inflates like a life raft to fill as much space as needed. If inflated after being placed in the overhead, it can be made to fit so tightly it can't be removed without first releasing the pressure.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium

Just my opinion. But I realize this is a philosophical difference that will not be resolved. Just wanted to clear up that I'm not indifferent to the woes of other air travelers, which is why I do my darnedest to travel with as little as possible.
It does bring up an interesting conundrum. The least resistance path is likely to ask people that only brought one item to put it under their seats, so I suspect this is where FAs start. Telling someone that they need to check a bag that was already in the overhead bin will likely be met with greater resistance. I agree that what is the "right" thing to do will not be solved here.

The attitude of the FAs when they work to resolve these issues makes all the difference (either actual attitude or perceived attitude) in these situations. Clearly on this thread we are seeing what happens when the FAs don't handle things as nicely as they could.
LordHamster and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Right, and I don’t think we’d see a lot of “one large bag” travelers offering their empty foot space for other travelers’ smaller bags that don’t fit in the full overhead bins and can’t be put in the owner’s constricted foot space.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Right, and I don’t think we’d see a lot of “one large bag” travelers offering their empty foot space for other travelers’ smaller bags that don’t fit in the full overhead bins and can’t be put in the owner’s constricted foot space.

The Tom Bihn Aeronaut 46 (bottom left in photo) is a good example of a "Large" one-bag travel setup. This is pretty much the top end size that "Onebaggers" typically use. In the photo below*, the traveler put it in the wrong orientation...which still leaves plenty of space for small items to go on top (as illustrated in the photo). Again, much more considerate than the average traveler WRT overhead space. If everyone traveled with consideration to others and used a "onebagger" like this, the whole overhead issue would be moot on all but the smallest of regional jets.

*I don't use such a large setup myself, but it is admittedly quite common.

Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Let's be honest here, you didn't cave in, what happened was you made no response and got to keep your bag overhead. Had something else occurred then you could state you caved in. In the end, the FA got the last word and I think that's where the real issue is. Sure you could have escalated this without being wrong, at least in principle, but I don't believe the end result would have come out in your favor.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
In addition to making bags free, we also need to make the handling on the ground (care in loading/unloading, wait times) better so people would be more encouraged to check bags...
It's not uncommon to find a totally empty bin on a fairly full B737 flight in Japan, so to me it feels like a US problem (Maybe EU too? never flown there).
But that's not the airline's goal. Checked bags cost them more money than carry ons. So they'd prefer a carry on. Maybe they need to charge $50 for a checked bag and $25 for carry on to discourage people to travel lighter in total versus just overstuffing a carryon.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SportDiver
We could rate airlines on their "toxic" or rude FAs. IMHV, UA is #1 on this list, having had plenty of experiences with air crew who could care less about a passenger's experience. WN is the exact opposite, with the friendliest aircrew working for a US-based airline.
I don't fly WN often, but had a couple of flights last month. Have a rolling computer bag and placed it in the OHB. WN FA came by and said, "Sir, we have a full flight and you need to put that under the seat in front of you, so the larger bags can go into the OHB" (paraphrasing) .

On WN's 737-8, the underseat space in front of the aisle seats is restricted/limited. The WN FA insisted I move the bag or it would have to go someplace else. So with some pushing and shoving, it sort of when under the seat -- sticking out a bit, an amount that some FAs would have commented on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.