Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr

i amone of those that feel if you only have one small item you should eat it at your feet. Only exception being a757 Aisle seat. That space isn’t big enough for a mouse. For the record I am it one who EVER crams both items 8n the overhead unless the exception above applies.

Lets keep the topic focused on the on the topic and not deriding others based on your opinion that we all should not do the right thing. :x)
I think you meant to say "NEVER" ? Otherwise that's really bad ; 0
AceReport likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by chavala
The FA getting in the last sentence with "You wanna try me?" as if he's Clint Eastwood does not sound "resolved" to me. It's a threat, plain and simple.
Obviously the OP is still upset about this. (I'm still seething over the (male) FA who tapped me on the head with a rolled up magazine a few months ago, so I completely understand).
I believe it's time to assert our rights no matter where we are.
i probably would have been waiting for the FA after deplaning.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by chavala
I think you meant to say "NEVER" ? Otherwise that's really bad ; 0
yeh had a typo so fixed that up in an edit.
chavala likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i am-one of those that feel if you only have one small item you should eat it at your feet.
I'm of the opinion that this makes no sense.

I own a small backpack that easily fits under the seat. I also own a small-medium sized rollerboard that doesn't. I only ever carry on one of them at a time.

I'm unwilling to put anything under the seat in front of me (that's where my feet go). Are you saying that I should fly with the rollerboard even if I only have a few things that would fit easily in the backpack? Because if I have to do that in order to keep my overhead bin space, I will. But that doesn't make much sense. I should be able to travel with my backpack and not give up that space (at least, not give all of it up -- you could fit 3-4 of these backpacks in the space that the rollerboard takes up).

If the rule is that I have to travel with the rollerboard and take up 3x the space that I need, again, I will. I'm not the one getting his bag gate-checked so I don't care. I'm happy to take up only the space that I need (and no more), but not if that means that I get bumped for someone with a larger bag.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You definitely have all the rights to speak up. It just may not end up well for you or it might. There will not be another Dao situation - they have new procedures for that but don't kid yourself that it means you don't get the boot and don't risk arrest.

At a hub, the following happens, as I've now seen it 3 times - hubs are, in my opinion, the biggest risk of speaking up. They aren't as forgiving as a Captain. A guy in a suit confers with the crew on what happened. I'm guessing it is his full time job (it has all been men). The conversations all went the same - if you are in the aisle seat, they will talk to you right there - middle or window - they will politely ask the seatmates to excuse themselves. After an introduction - the guy in the suit goes - "Are we going to have a problem today". One time the passenger said, No - I'm fine - conversation ended. The other two, they try very hard to tell their side of the story - and they all get cut off with another, "Are we going to have a problem today". They had no desire to hear the other side of the story. None. One fought hard until the suit person said, "If we are going to have a problem today, we are going to make alternative arrangements - so, last time I'm asking - are we going to have a problem today" Person backed down. I can imagine at a hub, what goes in a persons profile isn't flattering.

Non-Hub - you probably have a better chance depending on training of the Captain.

Either way - if they want you off, it isn't a filmed Dao situation dragging you off with cell phones blazing. They will deplane everyone and cancel if necessary.
Ah the burly guy in a suit.

Had a conversation with one of them when I boarded a EWR-GRU-MVD trip and the 1k line and checkin agent used the wrong TIMATIC inputs to check the transit visa requirement (had changed between booking and flight date).

When I scanned at the gate agents said no dice - need a visa - can't board.

They called him immediately before any discussion - seems like SOP to get him involved.

In this case he was actually ready to listen and said 'help me understand how this happened' - took me to the rebooking desk and got them on the case - waited with me while it was resolved and shook my hand.

All worked out fine with a day's delay but it was clear he's there to keep typically emotional situations from escalating.
wrp96, Franky16 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:01 pm

"You want to try me?"
"Are we going to have a problem today?"

My blood boils just reading those words, even though I've never actually heard them in person.

As to mistreatment by GA, FA, or others, I used to worry about this, but I don't anymore. I'm in my 20s and I make $300,000 a year. The people who mistreat me are twice my age earning a tenth of my salary. I'll let them win their silly power trips, because I've already won where it really matters.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
"You want to try me?"

My blood boils just reading those words, even though I've never actually heard them in person.

As to mistreatment by GA, FA, or others, I used to worry about this, but I don't anymore. I'm in my 20s and I make $300,000 a year. The people who mistreat me are twice my age earning a tenth of my salary. I'll let them win their silly power trips, because I've already won where it really matters.
Lol, my answer would be, "yes, we already have a problem. This FA is being abusive"
SNA1K, fpmurphy, kale73 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
"Are we going to have a problem today"
I know one person who does not fly United anymore [EVER!] after exactly such an incident not ending well for himself!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
This is probably veering to the off-topic, but it seems worth suggesting that the same exact scenario is rightfully more exhausting/enraging to white women and people of color than to white men when it constitutes yet another in a continuous stream of racial/gender microagressions.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by pindi
I was on UA 2239 yesterday from SFO-EWR. I had seat 20C. I had checked my bags and only had a laptop bag and a small purse with me. I knew that 20C, being an exit row aisle, had half the storage in front of the seat when compared to normal seats - even that half is further reduced due to the inbuilt box under seat 12C. I knew I could not put anything more than a small purse under the seat in front of me.

I boarded with group 1 and placed my laptop bag in the overhead bin, and my purse in the tiny space under the seat in front of me. Towards the end of boarding, an FA came to my row, picked up my laptop bag from the overhead bin and asked whose it was. When I identified it as mine, he put it in my lap and tried to put another passenger’s large duffel bag in the overhead bin. I protested saying there was no place to put my laptop bag. He said I should put smaller items under the seat in front of me as overhead bins were reserved only for large items. I showed him the space in front of my seat, so he knew there was no way to fit a laptop bag there. He then said he would find space for my laptop bag and went to the front of the plane. In the meantime, I went ahead and placed my bag in the overhead bin, preempting the other passenger from placing his large duffel there. Several minutes later, the FA returned and told the other passenger he would need to check his bag.

I thought that was the end of it. The FA came back to my row later and said:

FA – “We are all good now. But for your information, the overhead bins are only for the large carry-ons”
Me – “I thought passengers are supposed to put THEIR large carry-on in the overhead bin and the smaller item in front of them”
FA – “No, the overhead bins are reserved for large carry-ons only”
Me – “What would you have me do? Check my laptop bag even when that is my large item?”
FA – “Well yes. Other flight attendants would probably have made you do that but since I am nice, I won’t do it”
Me – “You can’t do that !!!”
FA – “You want to try me?”

At this point, I was beyond stunned. I’m close to hitting a million miles on UA soon. For an FA to try to bully me into checking my one single laptop bag to fit a late arriving passenger’s large duffel is beyond unprofessional. And to taunt a passenger with that last statement – I have no words!!! Had I not been in a rush to get back home, I would have escalated the issue to the purser/captain of the flight. I chose to remain quiet and let the FA have his power trip. I have written to UA customer care but I highly doubt anything will come of it. I am still seething nearly a day later. I did describe the FA in my email to customer service - hopefully they can identify him and re-train him. Sigh!!!
I am over 6' with a bad knee and I need my space for my leg. That being said, instead of emailing customer service, you should write them a letter - better yet certify it. That way you will get a written reply from them. I am of course hoping they don't back her up. But if they don't, carry a copy with you and shove it in her face. I used to travel with my kids in infant seats - one rear facing. I used to all the time get the bossy FA telling me NO and I would shove the letter under her face and loudly tell her to apologize.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
The FA getting in the last sentence with "You wanna try me?" as if he's Clint Eastwood does not sound "resolved" to me. It's a threat, plain and simple.
"Make my day"
i probably would have been waiting for the FA after deplaning.
Unfortunately they can have your arrested after deplaning. A FA ran over my daughter and called her out and told her to come back and apologize. The next thing I knew she had called a cop and said I was threatening her. Luckily others confirmed my fact and the cop helped me find her supervisor.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gadot
Unfortunately they can have your arrested after deplaning. A FA ran over my daughter and called her out and told her to come back and apologize. The next thing I knew she had called a cop and said I was threatening her. Luckily others confirmed my fact and the cop helped me find her supervisor.
So, you weren't arrested?

Anyone can file a false police report and have you arrested. FAs have no more power than anyone else, despite what they (and some here) think.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by davie355
"You want to try me?"

The opposite is true for me. Putting aside the earnings question, I find that as I have grown older, I have grown bolder as well, with far less tolerance to put up with nonsense from folks abusing their power. I don't care how young/old/rich/poor such people are - if they are not treating me the way they should be, I will let them know. Simple.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pindi
The opposite is true for me. Putting aside the earnings question, I find that as I have grown older, I have grown bolder as well, with far less tolerance to put up with nonsense from folks abusing their power. I don't care how young/old/rich/poor such people are - if they are not treating me the way they should be, I will let them know. Simple.
Exactly how I feel. I'm much braver (now that I'm "older"), and absolutely ready to suffer the consequences to stand up for my rights.
I actually feel sad when I hear those who say they would just let it go: "Let the next person suffer and/or deal with it, because that's the way it is, Suck it up"
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Anyone can file a false police report and have you arrested. FAs have no more power than anyone else, despite what they (and some here) think.
There are no federal laws governing interfering with the waitstaff at a restaurant or the greeter at Walmart. The cabin crew absolutely has more power than most people do.

You can argue whether or not it's just, but it's silly to argue that it's not true.
chavala, BlueSky72, ajGoes and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.