Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Sorry you had that experience and when this happens to me, which unfortunately it does such that although I like the bulkhead and exit rows I now select the row behind or in front, I now just keep quiet as I do not wish to be removed from the plane.
Unfortunately for me, I have never been able to keep quiet under such circumstances. I always speak up. I guess this is the big reason why I am still seething as I did not speak up enough and escalate this issue to the purser/captain. I just never, ever let anyone bully me. I feel like I let myself down by letting it go.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
Re-read the OP. The laptop bag did not fit under the seat in front of her.
I read the OP, and said as much in my initial post -- because the bag didn't fit underneath the seat in front of her, it wasn't a personal item and therefore it belonged in the overhead. Most backpacks will fit underneath the seat; hers did not. Once the FA saw that, that should have been the end of the discussion.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Complaining to UA post-flight is fine. "Standing up" to the FA is likely to get you booted off the aircraft. And once that happens, your complaint will typically get zero traction, because the airline will back the crew.

Really, this does not strike me as a grave injustice worthy of the amount of mental energy you are apparently spending on it.
I respectively disagree with you Kacee. I'm willing to bet this sort of thing hardly ever happens to you (assuming you're a man). It happens to women ALL THE TIME. Some of us are getting really sick of it (and that is putting it mildly!).
ARR72 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:27 am

Conditioning us to fight for OH bin space via checked bag fees is the turning point in air travel, IMO. It made flying a competition with fellow passengers, and led to BG number mattering. It’s too late now, because we are so conditioned to compete that even marking checked bags free again wouldn’t help.

OP, my strategy with OH space is to follow FA instructions and flow with it. It’s a war that can’t really be won, even if you’re in the right.
Miggles, BlueSky72 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chavala
I respectively disagree with you Kacee. I'm willing to bet this sort of thing hardly ever happens to you (assuming you're a man). It happens to women ALL THE TIME. Some of us are getting really sick of it (and that is putting it mildly!).
I think it happens to all of us who fly frequently, in various degrees. So yes, I have absolutely been in situations where FAs have pulled similar nonsense on me. Onboard the aircraft is really not a smart place to be asserting your rights. Especially not when the issue has already been resolved in your favor (which is a point that people seem to be missing here).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I read the OP, and said as much in my initial post...
Got it, I didn't see your initial post, just your last one. Apologies!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think it happens to all of us who fly frequently, in various degrees. So yes, I have absolutely been in situations where FAs have pulled similar nonsense on me. Onboard the aircraft is really not a smart place to be asserting your rights. Especially not when the issue has already been resolved in your favor (which is a point that people seem to be missing here).
The FA getting in the last sentence with "You wanna try me?" as if he's Clint Eastwood does not sound "resolved" to me. It's a threat, plain and simple.
Obviously the OP is still upset about this. (I'm still seething over the (male) FA who tapped me on the head with a rolled up magazine a few months ago, so I completely understand).
I believe it's time to assert our rights no matter where we are.
pindi, muji, BlueSky72 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you feel strongly enough about this issue to risk arrest, that's your choice. Personally, I am content to let small people have their "victories" when all it costs me is loss of face -- in an environment where I'll likely never see any of those people again.

The risk / reward ratio just seems way out of whack here.
cawhite, Miggles and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

The FA getting in the last sentence with "You wanna try me?" as if he's Clint Eastwood does not sound "resolved" to me. It's a threat, plain and simple.
Exactly.... as I mentioned in one of my posts, had he not come back for round 2, we would not be discussing this issue. The fact that the FA felt he needed to bully me to feel good did not sit well with me. At that point, a kind-of-resolved-situation became an active altercation.

If you feel strongly enough about this issue to risk arrest, that's your choice. Personally, I am content to let small people have their "victories" when all it costs me is loss of face -- in an environment where I'll likely never see any of those people again.

This has nothing to do with loss of face or saving face. At that point, I could not care less who was watching me. I just hate being taken advantage of or being bullied or being threatened - especially when I know I am right. It is a matter of standing up for what is right. Once again, if I had the luxury of delaying my arrival at home, I absolutely would have taken the risk of being deplaned.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 8, 2019 at 11:57 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by prometa
Conditioning us to fight for OH bin space via checked bag fees is the turning point in air travel, IMO. It made flying a competition with fellow passengers, and led to BG number mattering. It’s too late now, because we are so conditioned to compete that even marking checked bags free again wouldn’t help.

OP, my strategy with OH space is to follow FA instructions and flow with it. It’s a war that can’t really be won, even if you’re in the right.
In addition to making bags free, we also need to make the handling on the ground (care in loading/unloading, wait times) better so people would be more encouraged to check bags...
It's not uncommon to find a totally empty bin on a fairly full B737 flight in Japan, so to me it feels like a US problem (Maybe EU too? never flown there).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Obviously the OP is still upset about this. (I'm still seething over the (male) FA who tapped me on the head with a rolled up magazine a few months ago, so I completely understand).
Did you ever get a response from United?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pindi
I just hate being taken advantage of or being bullied or being threatened - especially when I know I am right. It is a matter of standing up for what is right. Once again, if I had the luxury of delaying my arrival at home, I absolutely would have taken the risk of being deplaned.
You weren't just risking being deplaned. You would have risked being arrested and jailed for interfering with a flight crew. You were right. But would it have been worth the cost to prove it?

Personally, I think you made a prudent decision, and I wouldn't beat myself up for it. In life, you often need to pick your battles; this isn't one I would have picked. In my opinion, this is something best handled after-the-fact by complaining to UA, which it seems like you've done.
cawhite, cruisr, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
There's a recent BA thread with a similar scenario.
And it's equally disgusting.

Some bring half their belongings AND the kitchen sink onboard and expect overhead space, and believe it's fair the single laptop bag of another passenger be displaced.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Not if you then put that item, which would fit into your personal space under the seat in front of you, into the shared overhead space. At best, you're no more courteous than anyone else who follows the rules. A backpack and a full-size carry-on take up a surprisingly similar amount of usable space in the overhead, unless there happens to be another passenger who is also putting a backpack up and they can fit atop one another.
I didn't say a backpack, I said a personal item sized bag. Personal items have a clear definition < 9x10x17 (=1530 Cubic Inches) vs a carry on which can be < 22x9x14 (=2,272 Cubic Inches). Even the largest personal item will take at most 33% less overhead space. ESPECIALLY if that is the ONLY item the person is carrying. Remember, the large carryon-crowd rarely travels with just one bag. They generally have at least two.

So a One-bagger like myself (personal item or less size) takes 1530 cubic inches of overhead space, while the average flyer travels with 1,530 Cubic inches + 2,272 Cubic inches = 3,802 Cubic Inches.

When I'm standing in the boarding lane, look around and realize I'm carrying ~60% LESS carry-on baggage than everyone else, I don't feel particularly morally obligated to accommodate their extra bags at the cost of my legroom. Call me selfish, but again... I'm already taking at LEAST 33% less overhead than nearly everyone else... and realistically closer to 60-70% less based on my typical loadout.

*For those carrying multiple bags, I agree 1 should be stored underseat where feasible.
renila, susanc, seanp7 and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

You weren't just risking being deplaned. You would have risked being arrested and jailed for interfering with a flight crew. You were right. But would it have been worth the cost to prove it?
See how much the airlines have programmed us into believing something that is absolutely not true. Do you really believe that the Captain would have sided with the FA on this one? But somehow the fear of arrests and jail has been put into us for questioning even the most minor decisions by FAs. I would like to believe that it is not the norm (arrests/jail) as long as I am reasonable in my stance.
muji, chavala, BlueSky72 and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.