Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by pindi
The opposite is true for me. Putting aside the earnings question, I find that as I have grown older, I have grown bolder as well, with far less tolerance to put up with nonsense from folks abusing their power. I don't care how young/old/rich/poor such people are - if they are not treating me the way they should be, I will let them know. Simple.
Totally agree here. My friends tell me I have lost my "filter".
chavala likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
There are no federal laws governing interfering with the waitstaff at a restaurant or the greeter at Walmart. The cabin crew absolutely has more power than most people do.

You can argue whether or not it's just, but it's silly to argue that it's not true.
But someone can file a false police report accusing you of rape, or murder, or assault, or theft, or any other crime which they want to claim to be a victim of. If people are willing to lie to the police, there's no limit on what you can be arrested for.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
on my flight yesterday I noticed a lot of people throwing their jackets and purses up there, and thinking " they have plenty of space in front of them". but I agree, some people check their bag and fly lightly and honestly just makes more room for people to bring their overstuffed bags on board.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Totally agree here. My friends tell me I have lost my "filter".
I like it. It's one of the perks of getting older.
iluv2fly and DragonSoul like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But someone can file a false police report accusing you of rape, or murder, or assault, or theft, or any other crime which they want to claim to be a victim of. If people are willing to lie to the police, there's no limit on what you can be arrested for.
OK, fair point. I suspect, however, that there may be a lower bar for what can get you in trouble on an airplane than at a Walmart. It generally seems that people are predisposed to believe a crew member who claims interference.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The FA said "We are all good now." and you snarked back? An easy way to not fly today.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
The FA said "We are all good now." and you snarked back?
Misrepresentation of facts. OP wrote that the FA followed up immediately with a falsehood.

Also, customers do not "snark back." This stupid Western attitude that customers and agents are on equal footing, that customers must be equally as respectful to staff, is exactly why customer service in the West is terrible compared to Asia.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mduell
The FA said "We are all good now." and you snarked back? An easy way to not fly today.
Did you read my original post? He did not stop at "We are all good now."... please read the post before commenting.
IndyHoosier and AceReport like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
Also, customers do not "snark back." This stupid Western attitude that customers and agents are on equal footing, that customers must be equally as respectful to staff, is exactly why customer service in the West is terrible compared to Asia.
There are so many things fundamentally wrong with this post that I don't really know where to begin.

If you find being respectful to staff to be too onerous a burden to bear, I suspect the customer service you're getting isn't nearly as good as you think it is.
jebr, nancypants and fezzington like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:19 pm

There are so many things fundamentally wrong with this post that I don't really know where to begin.

If you find being respectful to staff to be too onerous a burden to bear, I suspect the customer service you're getting isn't nearly as good as you think it is.
You don't know where to begin, but you ended up writing something, so you did know where to begin.

I never said being respectful to staff is "too onerous a burden," I meant the expectation creates an entitlement mentality in staff that leads to the poor customer service that pervades the US.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

It depends upon what you did next, but, yes, I do. If you had responded again, escalating the situation further, the captain would have seen a passenger making a scene and arguing with a flight attendant. And, thanks to our national paranoia over security, I think there's a realistic chance you would have ended up in handcuffs.

OP was lucky, I know of several instances where pax were thrown off of flights who were in the right, but chose to argue with the FA instead of deferring. Here are a few:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28040354-post68.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26253434-post298.html

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....king-pictures/
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chavala
Exactly how I feel. I'm much braver (now that I'm "older"), and absolutely ready to suffer the consequences to stand up for my rights.
I actually feel sad when I hear those who say they would just let it go: "Let the next person suffer and/or deal with it, because that's the way it is, Suck it up"
I stood up to an extremely nasty gate agent a few years back, and it was not a good outcome. even if they are dead wrong I will just smile and act as pleasant as possible. they have the power and we dont.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I travel pretty light, my roller board bag on short trips is half the size allowed. Demanding I add that to my ultra small computer bag at my feet would get a stern no from me. Throw me off the airplane if you wish for that, I welcome the challenge.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
OP was lucky, I know of several instances where pax were thrown off of flights who were in the right, but chose to argue with the FA instead of deferring. Here are a few:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28040354-post68.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26253434-post298.html

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....king-pictures/
This is truly pathetic... I feel for these passengers. I would have gladly joined this elite crowd had my schedule permitted it. Some things matter a lot more to me than reaching my destination on time - standing up for what I believe is right is at the top of that list. Yes, I realize that the consequence of doing so may be bad, but after going through the mental agony and self-flagellation I am going through for not standing up for myself, I believe the choice is very easy for me.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by pindi
This is truly pathetic... I feel for these passengers. I would have gladly joined this elite crowd had my schedule permitted it. Some things matter a lot more to me than reaching my destination on time - standing up for what I believe is right is at the top of that list. Yes, I realize that the consequence of doing so may be bad, but after going through the mental agony and self-flagellation I am going through for not standing up for myself, I believe the choice is very easy for me.
Unfortunately for me, there is just too much at stake, and too many people relying on me, when I fly internationally for business, and I have no choice but to suck it up and submit to capricious behavior by the "little people with big power" in order to get to my destinations on time. Once a FA has behaved poorly to me, I go so far as to cease all communication with them for the entire flight so as to not risk a possible confrontation.

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's just plain foolishness to pick a fight with an FA, just as it's foolishness to mouth off to TSA or CBP. Especially AFTER the issue has already been resolved in your favor.

It's easy to talk big on line. We get this foolish bravado every time one of these threads crops up.
Concerning CBP, I would bet that most travelers don't know that you aren't considered to be on US soil until you've cleared immigration and customs and thus have none of the constitutional "unreasonable search and seizure" protections afforded citizens. I had an associate of mine detained incognito (i.e. they wouldn't let him call anyone, including his lawyer, so his wife was really freaked out) for 24 hours once until he gave up the passwords to his computer and phone so they could do some sort of data search. He never found out what they were looking for but, according to his lawyer, they were within their rights to do this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 8, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.