Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Complaining to UA post-flight is fine. "Standing up" to the FA is likely to get you booted off the aircraft. And once that happens, your complaint will typically get zero traction, because the airline will back the crew.

Really, this does not strike me as a grave injustice worthy of the amount of mental energy you are apparently spending on it.
The point is that being passive about it encourages this type of behavior from FAs. They know that you will complain to UA, and they know that UA will do nothing about it.

The bully bullies because the bully thinks that you are too scared to do anything about it. If you actually are too scared to do anything about it, then the bully is right.
pindi, RooseveltL, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Did you ever get a response from United?
Just some stupid form letter with an apology. I'm sure the FA didn't even get a reprimand and he'll continue on his merry power-tripping way. And like the OP, I will always regret the fact I didn't call him out for it.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by pindi
Do you really believe that the Captain would have sided with the FA on this one?
Very much in the realm of possibility. Default is to back the other employee even if every ounce of common sense suggests otherwise.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by boolean64
Very much in the realm of possibility. Default is to back the other employee even if every ounce of common sense suggests otherwise.
Even better. I would love to see how this would play out on social media once the videos are released.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
It’s not always an FA on a power trip sometimes it’s another passenger. Either way one has to stand your ground or get trampled. I always check two bags and sometime three as well as carry a small laptop bag (think medium purse) and a good sized backpack. My backpack is under foot and the laptop bag is always in the overheard. On numerous full flights I’ve had attempts to ‘relocate’ laptop. I have yet to be de-planed but it has been close. You may stand my laptop bag up, slide it from side to side and IF you desire to shift my any further than that it had better be to F with me alongside.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by LordHamster
When I'm standing in the boarding lane, look around and realize I'm carrying ~60% LESS carry-on baggage than everyone else, I don't feel particularly morally obligated to accommodate their extra bags at the cost of my legroom. Call me selfish, but again... I'm already taking at LEAST 33% less overhead than nearly everyone else... and realistically closer to 60-70% less based on my typical loadout.

*For those carrying multiple bags, I agree 1 should be stored underseat where feasible.
This is something I ran into on a previous previous flight. Full B737, I checked a bag and brought aboard a small backpack which I put in the overhead since it was my only carryon. FA came over and asked if I could put it under the seat in front to fit somebody else's rollaboard. I paid for an extra legroom seat and it basically defeated that perk since now the backpack took up all the space under the seat in front of me.
Postflight I complained to the airline (Jetblue) and they refunded the extra legroom seat charge. I wasn't expecting anything out of the complaint, so it was pleasantly surprising they did that.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
"The overhead bins are for large carry-ons only" does not make sense. Suppose I bring two personal-size items. Each of them fits under the seat, but they do not fit under the seat together. This is definitely in-policy, I can declare one of them to be a carry-on, as the carry-on rules restrict only the maximum bad size.
The policy should be that overhead bins are for carry-ons only, and pax decide which of the qualifying items is a carry-on. As a cutesy to others, I may decide to put my only carry-on item under the seat, but this is for me to decide.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
FA came over and asked if I could put it under the seat in front to fit somebody else's rollaboard.
I would just say no, sorry, but I didn't bring a personal item. That's my carry-on and I'd like to leave it in the overhead bin so I can be comfortable.
Miggles and Franky16 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The point is that being passive about it encourages this type of behavior from FAs. They know that you will complain to UA, and they know that UA will do nothing about it.
It's just plain foolishness to pick a fight with an FA, just as it's foolishness to mouth off to TSA or CBP. Especially AFTER the issue has already been resolved in your favor.

It's easy to talk big on line. We get this foolish bravado every time one of these threads crops up.
cawhite, Miggles, Boraxo and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So a One-bagger like myself (personal item or less size) takes 1530 cubic inches of overhead space, while the average flyer travels with 1,530 Cubic inches + 2,272 Cubic inches = 3,802 Cubic Inches.
You are intentionally misrepresenting the situation. The fact that another passenger also brought a personal item has no effect upon the overheads unless they try to put it up there, which we've all agreed is verboten for non-bulkhead passengers.

When I'm standing in the boarding lane, look around and realize I'm carrying ~60% LESS carry-on baggage than everyone else, I don't feel particularly morally obligated to accommodate their extra bags at the cost of my legroom. Call me selfish, but again... I'm already taking at LEAST 33% less overhead than nearly everyone else... and realistically closer to 60-70% less based on my typical loadout.
Use of volume is misleading due to the bin packing problem. In many situations, you can replace a full-size carry on with a personal item in the bin and not free up any effective space (except, maybe space for some other person's personal time).

If everyone else has boarded, and there's room in the overhead, and you want to put your bag up, I don't have an issue with it. But I absolutely cannot fathom how you could look someone in the eye as they walk past you, having surrounded their bag to check, when you could have made room for them in the overhead and chose not to do so.

I don't see any point in continuing this conversation. This is precisely why I tried to sidestep it this weekend. I don't think I'm going to convince you, and you're absolutely not going to convince me.

See how much the airlines have programmed us into believing something that is absolutely not true. Do you really believe that the Captain would have sided with the FA on this one?
It depends upon what you did next, but, yes, I do. If you had responded again, escalating the situation further, the captain would have seen a passenger making a scene and arguing with a flight attendant. And, thanks to our national paranoia over security, I think there's a realistic chance you would have ended up in handcuffs.

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
I paid for an extra legroom seat and it basically defeated that perk since now the backpack took up all the space under the seat in front of me.
Nonsense. That seat was further away from you than it otherwise would have been.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
It’s not always an FA on a power trip sometimes it’s another passenger. Either way one has to stand your ground or get trampled. I always check two bags and sometime three as well as carry a small laptop bag (think medium purse) and a good sized backpack. My backpack is under foot and the laptop bag is always in the overheard. On numerous full flights I’ve had attempts to ‘relocate’ laptop. I have yet to be de-planed but it has been close. You may stand my laptop bag up, slide it from side to side and IF you desire to shift my any further than that it had better be to F with me alongside.
I struggle with the laptop going up top or underfoot. I'm always afraid some idiot passenger will fling his 80-pound kitchen sink carry-on right on top of my laptop and crush it. I usually try and wait until boarding is completed and then find a place for it up top, otherwise leave it under the seat.

I have had discussions (not confrontations) with FAs on many occasions when I put a backup (sans laptop) up in the bin. They have largely been reasonable when I tell them I only have the backpack so I can put it up and have the legroom. I guess I have been lucky. I applaud those who stand up to bully FAs about this.
chavala, BlueSky72 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately for me, I have never been able to keep quiet under such circumstances. I always speak up. I guess this is the big reason why I am still seething as I did not speak up enough and escalate this issue to the purser/captain. I just never, ever let anyone bully me. I feel like I let myself down by letting it go.
You definitely have all the rights to speak up. It just may not end up well for you or it might. There will not be another Dao situation - they have new procedures for that but don't kid yourself that it means you don't get the boot and don't risk arrest.

At a hub, the following happens, as I've now seen it 3 times - hubs are, in my opinion, the biggest risk of speaking up. They aren't as forgiving as a Captain. A guy in a suit confers with the crew on what happened. I'm guessing it is his full time job (it has all been men). The conversations all went the same - if you are in the aisle seat, they will talk to you right there - middle or window - they will politely ask the seatmates to excuse themselves. After an introduction - the guy in the suit goes - "Are we going to have a problem today". One time the passenger said, No - I'm fine - conversation ended. The other two, they try very hard to tell their side of the story - and they all get cut off with another, "Are we going to have a problem today". They had no desire to hear the other side of the story. None. One fought hard until the suit person said, "If we are going to have a problem today, we are going to make alternative arrangements - so, last time I'm asking - are we going to have a problem today" Person backed down. I can imagine at a hub, what goes in a persons profile isn't flattering.

Non-Hub - you probably have a better chance depending on training of the Captain.

Either way - if they want you off, it isn't a filmed Dao situation dragging you off with cell phones blazing. They will deplane everyone and cancel if necessary.
wrp96, BlueSky72, Franky16 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

Either way - if they want you off, it isn't a filmed Dao situation dragging you off with cell phones blazing. They will deplane everyone and cancel if necessary.
Well then, so be it. If enough folks who have been made a victim do this, maybe there will be a change. If we all keep putting up with this, nothing will change. And that is what is upsetting to me - that I caved in like a coward.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's just plain foolishness to pick a fight with an FA, just as it's foolishness to mouth off to TSA or CBP. Especially AFTER the issue has already been resolved in your favor.

It's easy to talk big on line. We get this foolish bravado every time one of these threads crops up.
Agreed.

That said, in the OP’s scenario, I hopefully would have remembered to pull out my phone and started the voice recorder the moment the FA walked away to find space elsewhere to move my bag away from my row. Just in case.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And that is what is upsetting to me - that I caved in like a coward.
You didn't cave. You won.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.