Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
First, it is heartening to see that the OP did get resolution and some love from UA for the rude FA behavior. That's great, good for you!

Second, as to the raging debate.. I'm tall and I board early and I'll darn well put what I can in the overhead. I usually travel with two small bags and will not kowtow to those who bring the just-barely-legal rollaboard plus another item. As the plane fills, if someone ends up in a situation where they will have to check a bag due to full bins, I'll offer to put one under the seat in front of me. But in the mean time, I'm going to give my arthritic knees the best care I can. As someone stated up thread, having no foot space is like flying Spirit, and I don't do that because I can't without taking pain meds.

I have had FAs request that I put one under the seat and I've declined, saying that the problem is the airline's for making seat pitch too small to optimize revenue, but I say it nicely, not wanting to argue. If they demand I put a bag there, really I have no choice. But I've not yet had the request turn into a demand.

The carriers have turned overhead space into a battle zone, and one of the few things I get for my MM Gold status is an early boarding group.
notquiteaff, BlueSky72 and bslepko like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
First, it is heartening to see that the OP did get resolution and some love from UA for the rude FA behavior. That's great, good for you!

Second, as to the raging debate.. I'm tall and I board early and I'll darn well put what I can in the overhead. I usually travel with two small bags and will not kowtow to those who bring the just-barely-legal rollaboard plus another item. As the plane fills, if someone ends up in a situation where they will have to check a bag due to full bins, I'll offer to put one under the seat in front of me. But in the mean time, I'm going to give my arthritic knees the best care I can. As someone stated up thread, having no foot space is like flying Spirit, and I don't do that because I can't without taking pain meds.

I have had FAs request that I put one under the seat and I've declined, saying that the problem is the airline's for making seat pitch too small to optimize revenue, but I say it nicely, not wanting to argue. If they demand I put a bag there, really I have no choice. But I've not yet had the request turn into a demand.

The carriers have turned overhead space into a battle zone, and one of the few things I get for my MM Gold status is an early boarding group.
In fairness if you have two bags, they are well within their rights to demand that you put one under the seat. You get a carry-on and a personal item, and the personal item goes under the seat.

The problem arises when they demand that you put your carry-on under the seat.

I was boarding a flight OGG-SFO and waiting in the Group 1 line (paid F, but only Gold). When the families with young kids boarded a family of 4 tried to get on with 9 bags between them. The GA made them consolidate. Then when they boarded the 1Ks one guy tried to board with about 4 bags. The agent told him no; he tried to DYKWIA his way past ("but I'm 1K and in first...") but the agent wasn't having it. She very professionally said, I appreciate that you are 1K but you can only board with a carry-on and personal item; you can consolidate or we can gate-check some of those bags for you. He ended up boarding late (and walked past me since I was in Row 4 on the 752 -- doors are behind F) and he looked upset. Total jackass. Honestly, what a great GA. Politely and professionally, but firmly, enforcing the rules.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by chavala
Wait, what? You think someone should have to check their laptop bag so the later arriving passenger can put his large duffel in the overhead?
No - OP should not have to check their bag either. I'm sure there was another solution (finding another under seat storage area for the laptop bag elsehwere on the plane, having the FA hold the laptop bag during take off and landing and bringing it back to the OP, etc). But I generally have a standard roller carryon, and I often will sit in the gate area until boarding is almost gone. Gate checking my bag when a small laptop bag is sitting in the overhead would not go over well with me. It should be on the FAs to optimize baggage space.

Then it should come down to whoever is first gets the space. Isn't that the entire point of having status that let's you board early? (assuming it does NOT fit under their seat)
I've seen many a situation when overzealous FAs and gate agents claim that the overhead binds are "full" when they are not - they are often full with jackets, shopping bags, and other small items while passenger after passenger has to gate check their real, standard size carry-on bag. This has happened to me in first class. The focus here should be on space optimization.
Boraxo and nlkm9 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 2019 at 11:15 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
No - OP should not have to check their bag either. I'm sure there was another solution (finding another under seat storage area for the laptop bag elsehwere on the plane, having the FA hold the laptop bag during take off and landing and bringing it back to the OP, etc). But I generally have a standard roller carryon, and I often will sit in the gate area until boarding is almost gone. Gate checking my bag when a small laptop bag is sitting in the overhead would not go over well with me. It should be on the FAs to optimize baggage space.
If you think I'll trust my laptop bag to go under someone else's under the seat storage so someone can put their feet up on it, you are sorely mistaken. I planned my travel well to ensure I only take luggage within allowed limits and where I believe that luggage best fits. In this case, that laptop tote was going up in the overhead bin (above my seat or elsewhere, it did not matter). And I certainly would not be willing to hold it in my lap for the entire flight even if the flight attendant had found space for it just for take off and landing and brought it back to me. Someone else's lack of planning is not my problem.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Oh I would love to see that. FA comes over and tells me I should put some random stranger’s bag under the seat in front of me? No Way.
I also think it’s funny the new lot of people who say status is no longer worth it even for boarding early. But yet they want the perk of confirmed OH space when they waltz onto the plane at the last minute.
Work towards elite status, or stand in the line with your group number, or check your bag.
This DYKWIA 1K does not care which option someone chooses, but as a pre-boarder, I get first dibs on space whether they like it or not.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
My laptop bag is of the personal item size, but on most 737 planes it will not fit in the under seat storage area for aisle seats (my preferred one) due to how the seat supports are spaced. So it, along with my carry-on, which is NOT a roller bag, go into the OH. I generally take the laptop out, so I can work during the flight, and store it under the seat, the laptop bag then goes into the back of the bin and my carryon in front of it. This also leaves space on top coats/jackets or even a small thin item.

Not all under seat storage space is the same, seat struts, IFE boxes and over stuff cause the available space to vary for each seat. Ironically, my adhoc observations over the years seem to show that the Center Seats seem to have the largest under seat storage area, at least on 737s.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by pindi
I was on UA 2239 yesterday from SFO-EWR. I had seat 20C. I had checked my bags and only had a laptop bag and a small purse with me. I knew that 20C, being an exit row aisle, had half the storage in front of the seat when compared to normal seats - even that half is further reduced due to the inbuilt box under seat 12C. I knew I could not put anything more than a small purse under the seat in front of me.

I boarded with group 1 and placed my laptop bag in the overhead bin, and my purse in the tiny space under the seat in front of me. Towards the end of boarding, an FA came to my row, picked up my laptop bag from the overhead bin and asked whose it was. When I identified it as mine, he put it in my lap and tried to put another passenger’s large duffel bag in the overhead bin. I protested saying there was no place to put my laptop bag. He said I should put smaller items under the seat in front of me as overhead bins were reserved only for large items. I showed him the space in front of my seat, so he knew there was no way to fit a laptop bag there. He then said he would find space for my laptop bag and went to the front of the plane. In the meantime, I went ahead and placed my bag in the overhead bin, preempting the other passenger from placing his large duffel there. Several minutes later, the FA returned and told the other passenger he would need to check his bag.

I thought that was the end of it. The FA came back to my row later and said:

FA – “We are all good now. But for your information, the overhead bins are only for the large carry-ons”
Me – “I thought passengers are supposed to put THEIR large carry-on in the overhead bin and the smaller item in front of them”
FA – “No, the overhead bins are reserved for large carry-ons only”
Me – “What would you have me do? Check my laptop bag even when that is my large item?”
FA – “Well yes. Other flight attendants would probably have made you do that but since I am nice, I won’t do it”
Me – “You can’t do that !!!”
FA – “You want to try me?”

At this point, I was beyond stunned. I’m close to hitting a million miles on UA soon. For an FA to try to bully me into checking my one single laptop bag to fit a late arriving passenger’s large duffel is beyond unprofessional. And to taunt a passenger with that last statement – I have no words!!! Had I not been in a rush to get back home, I would have escalated the issue to the purser/captain of the flight. I chose to remain quiet and let the FA have his power trip. I have written to UA customer care but I highly doubt anything will come of it. I am still seething nearly a day later. I did describe the FA in my email to customer service - hopefully they can identify him and re-train him. Sigh!!!
One word: Good. This cannot stand.

These seats are very cramped as they are. So, no, we don't have to keep overhead bins for rollerboards. Sorry.

For this FA to pick a fight with you over this is beyond the pale. Sorry. He is wrong, you are right.

If United wants to solve the problem, it is easy to do. In Asia, first luggage is always free, and guess what, planes never run out of overhead space and planes load much faster. The US airlines have only themselves to blame here.

But while they insist on "monetizing" luggage, then there should be absolutely no expectation to lose someone's feet space.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I often will sit in the gate area until boarding is almost gone.
If you are often flying United and waiting to board until group 4 or 5, I'm shocked you are not having to check your bag every other flight.
notquiteaff and chavala like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
If you are often flying United and waiting to board until group 4 or 5, I'm shocked you are not having to check your bag every other flight.
Not a story on United, but this happened to me on an American E175 flight where I was sitting in F

I was on the phone in the gate area and was waiting until the end to board. I go to board, and the gate agent says "All overhead bins are full, so you have to gate check your bag." I say "Even in First?" She says "Yes." I get on the plane and notice an entire basically empty bin (maybe with a jacket and a purse) in F. I actually get out of my seat and go back on to the jet bridge and try to retreive by bag, and the GA refuses to give it to me. I blame this more on the gate agents than the FAs, but I would bet there were many empty overhead bins available on that flight if the overhead space was optimized...
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Then it should come down to whoever is first gets the space. Isn't that the entire point of having status that let's you board early? (assuming it does NOT fit under their seat)
So you say now.

The guy who boards in Zone 23 and crushes your laptop with his steamer trunk may feel differently.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
there are passengers who think they can put their laptop bag & hat in overhead so they have open/clear foot space in front of them."
Maybe if pitch wasn't 31 inches, making anyone who is not a circus midget very uncomfortable and people over 6'3 straight unable to fit without a foot area empty.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by danielSuper
Maybe if pitch wasn't 31 inches, making anyone who is not a circus midget very uncomfortable and people over 6'3 straight unable to fit without a foot area empty.
United documents 30” for its Airbus fleet and 30” for some of their 737s and 30-31” for others. Ouch.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by danielSuper
I'm under 6'0, but I have arthritis. So a full foot area in front of a 30 inch pitch will not work. My small laptop bag has to go overhead. It's the only thing I take on the plane and it's simply absurd that I should have to put it under the seat to make room for someone who is going to take up 5X as much space.

If I bring an empty rollaboard along and put my laptop bag inside it, can I then stow my laptop bag overhead?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
ORD-DEN today while boarding fa made repeated announcements that small items were not to go in the overheads.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by onthesam
ORD-DEN today while boarding fa made repeated announcements that small items were not to go in the overheads.
New UA policy?

Unbelievable. I mean I believe @onthesam but ridiculous state of affairs.

DVT is a real issue on planes and the ability to move feet and legs helps with minimizing DVT. Bet the policy/guidelines on this change when UA realizes the potential law suits this may open them up to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.