Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP Shifting Focus to Grants vs Currency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA MP Shifting Focus to Grants vs Currency

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually think that free E+ seats are one of the most valuable and overlooked benefit of status on any airline, particularly for people who do mostly domestic travel. Paying for it every time really adds up. On a transcon it can easily add 50% - 100% to your fare. I'm not willing to fly regular economy (when I've been on airlines where I've had no status I've always paid for E+) so, for me, that benefit is easily worth something like $2000 per year if I'm flying economy, and it's the main reason that I continue to maintain status. If not for that, the "free agent" argument would make sense for me. Now that I'm moving to paid F for longer trips, I might have to rethink this, though.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a UA executive focusing on shareholder values (and his/her own pocketbook), the focus would be to turn these grants to currency. For example, earning upgrade points rather than grants/instruments.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
As a UA executive focusing on shareholder values (and his/her own pocketbook), the focus would be to turn these grants to currency. For example, earning upgrade points rather than grants/instruments.
Shareholders have no values except profit. The focus on shareholder value above all else, rather than stakeholder value, is accelerating the decline of the USA as a great nation, just as it is accelerating the decline of the major airlines like UA. Hopefully stakeholder value becomes the next MBA trend but I’m not confident about this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
The six annual GPU grants alone are worth ~12K/yr. ​​
No way. You can generally get a saver award for any seat where there is an upgrade-able fare available. The max value of a GPU is therefore the difference in cost between the upgrade-able fare and the cost of miles for the saver award. Miles can be had for $0.02. That puts the max value of a GPU at around $300 or $400 assuming no breakage.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 5khours
No way. You can generally get a saver award for any seat where there is an upgrade-able fare available. .
That's a generous statement -- the only thing rarer then PZ is I/IN
airb330 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2019 at 11:40 pm Reason: rephrased
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by 5khours
No way. You can generally get a saver award for any seat where there is an upgrade-able fare available. The max value of a GPU is therefore the difference in cost between the upgrade-able fare and the cost of miles for the saver award. Miles can be had for $0.02. That puts the max value of a GPU at around $300 or $400 assuming no breakage.
So let’s use your math:

RT Saver to Asia = 150K miles. At .02/mile = $3K USD
W to Asia = $1100
Difference is $1900 so value is $950/GPU

I also don’t believe saver availability will be as plentiful as in the past with this devaluation

Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
So let’s use your math:

RT Saver to Asia = 150K miles. At .02/mile = $3K USD
W to Asia = $1100
Difference is $1900 so value is $950/GPU

I also don’t believe saver availability will be as plentiful as in the past with this devaluation
RT W at $1100 is best case. W when you want to book it for when you actually want to travel and where you want to go, with a high probability of an upgrade is almost always a lot more than $1100. Even with the best case scenario, GPU are only worth half of the $2k you suggested in the original post.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I actually think that free E+ seats are one of the most valuable and overlooked benefit of status on any airline, particularly for people who do mostly domestic travel. Paying for it every time really adds up. On a transcon it can easily add 50% - 100% to your fare. I'm not willing to fly regular economy (when I've been on airlines where I've had no status I've always paid for E+) so, for me, that benefit is easily worth something like $2000 per year if I'm flying economy, and it's the main reason that I continue to maintain status. If not for that, the "free agent" argument would make sense for me. Now that I'm moving to paid F for longer trips, I might have to rethink this, though.
But you can purchase the E+ subscription for way less than $2000.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Originally Posted by docbert
At most a GPU is worth sub-$1K.

Mileage Upgrades are the same as GPUs, and max out at 20k miles + $550 for a W fare. You can generally buy 20k miles for ~$400 (sometimes less). So for less than $1K you're getting the same thing as a GPU.
just used last minute for my parents from EWR to LHR when y was 2k and C was 6K OW got a 4K value per GPU
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Isn't that a bit silly. Engaging in the black market closes your MP account and earns you a lifetime ban. The difference between a W fare and C fare is at least $2K for most Polaris flights. Many of us use all our certs every year, realizing at least $12K in value.

Even better than free. If the company is paying the $15K PMD, and I'm using the certs for personal vacations, etc. I'm actually making 15K!
interesting analysis. The GPU value is somewhere in the middle of your range and what others suggested the black market bears. One of the travel bloggers has “estimated” the value of 1K. It is NOT $15000.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Grants - are things like GPUs, fee waivers, luggage allowances, free meals, early boarding, etc. The six annual GPU grants alone are worth ~12K/yr... I'm feeling good as a 1K.
When "grants" are realized in erratic, hidden-formula, unpredictable ways at the sole discretion of the issuer, value to the grantee is entirely theoretical. Literally nothing to bank on. It's been a long time since I heard anyone express an iota of optimism about GPU redeemability. This total-value calculus is smoke and mirrors. (I got some options in a long-odds startup that I assign the same current value on my balance sheet as your GPUs; that is, $0.)

Realize also that for a decade now, whenever MP has taken a big value hit, members at the top of the elite heap routinely express approval -- in the (faulty) view that "culling the herd" will result in richer benefits for those left standing. This has never, ever proven true. UA has no intention of giving even top elites anything more (why would they? You're still here) while giving everyone else less. The goal is not to transfer benefits from me to you. The goal is to not give anybody anything unnecessary. They won't even give you a decent plate of food in Polaris.

Last edited by BearX220; Apr 7, 2019 at 6:45 am
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm not trying to quibble over the value of the grants. I'm simply saying UA strategy for the MP Program, for the foreseeable future, is becoming clear. The last 1/2 dozen major changes to MP have favored those with status. I'm simply saying it may be better to maximize status instead of maximizing miles.
We no longer earn additional RPUs after the initial 4 of reaching 1K (2 @ 75k, 2 @ 100k). While you don't seem to calculate any value to these grants, there is some value to confirming an upgrade ahead of a CPU or putting yourself higher on the airport list if PZ isn't open.

So not all changes have been positive is my point. This one stings quite a bit. Only at the end of 2020 will we be able to say if having fewer RPUs actually increased CPU percentages for 1Ks or not.

-RM
mrt88 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BearX220
When "grants" are realized in erratic, hidden-formula, unpredictable ways at the sole discretion of the issuer, value to the grantee is entirely theoretical. Literally nothing to bank on. It's been a long time since I heard anyone express an iota of optimism about GPU redeemability. This total-value calculus is smoke and mirrors. (I got some options in a long-odds startup that I assign the same current value on my balance sheet as your GPUs; that is, $0.)

Realize also that for a decade now, whenever MP has taken a big value hit, members at the top of the elite heap routinely express approval -- in the (faulty) view that "culling the herd" will result in richer benefits for those left standing. This has never, ever proven true. UA has no intention of giving even top elites anything more (why would they? You're still here) while giving everyone else less. The goal is not to transfer benefits from me to you. The goal is to not give anybody anything unnecessary. They won't even give you a decent plate of food in Polaris.
Winner of the Internet today, if not the week and year. Nails it. ^^
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lakid
just used last minute for my parents from EWR to LHR when y was 2k and C was 6K OW got a 4K value per GPU
But you didn't get a $4K value. You got a value of $550 (or less, depending upon fare class) plus the value of 20K miles, because you could have used miles+copay to get the same thing.

People are obviously free to value their certificates however they like, and to the extent that the OP's point is "worry more about the perks of status than the ability to redeem miles," it's hard to disagree -- but if your valuations of the perks are so far off from reality, you're going to make a lot of economically poor decisions.
5khours likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
But you can purchase the E+ subscription for way less than $2000.
But it only works on one airline. It doesn't work so well if you plan on being a free agent. If I only fly one airline I don't need the subscription; I'll get status and get it for free. If I take the "free agent" route then there is not much value in the subscription.

Honestly I think that for someone who flies economy most or all of the time, and flies enough to get status, the free agent approach gives up too much. Economy without status is a horrible experience. On the other hand if you are paying for premium cabin seats then it makes sense to just go with whatever product is best or cheapest for a particular flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.