FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1964125-changes-ua-mileageplus-coming-nov-15-2019-dynamic-ua-awards-no-more-chart.html)

MatthewLAX Apr 5, 19 11:06 am

Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)

Big changes to MileagePlus coming on 11/15/2019:
  • Starting today, award charts will no longer be published for travel on or after November 15, 2019
  • There will no longer be a minimum or maximum mileage price for United flights
  • Mileage pricing will not be tied to a specific dollar amount
  • Partner award pricing will remain unchanged for now, but there will be no separate award chart for partner flights
  • Close-in award fees will not be charged on or after November 15, 2019
  • United flights will credit nearly instantly
More details on my blog. (disclaimer)

I spoke to Luc Bondar for 35 minutes concerning these changes. I'll have more on this later (and we'll see what United puts out), but wanted to get the news out right away.

jsloan Apr 5, 19 11:10 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 30968559)
I'll have more on this later (and we'll see what United puts out), but wanted to get the news out right away.

Least surprising news ever, between the missing chart for P+ and the introduction of the 5K saver awards. :td:

Thanks for passing the word along.

EWR764 Apr 5, 19 11:16 am

Overall... this cannot possibly be a good thing.

dcsnowwake Apr 5, 19 11:19 am

interesting, economy to Australia in Nov only 40k each way on some flights.....some intl business is 70k. Maybe offseason this is a GOOD thing...

PsiFighter37 Apr 5, 19 11:23 am

Gross. Way to copy something DL does that truly sucks...

jsloan Apr 5, 19 11:23 am

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake (Post 30968626)
Maybe offseason this is a GOOD thing...

Not really, unless you're so point-rich that you never bother comparing the cash cost to the point cost. They'll decrease the award costs at times when cash fares would also be low. Previously, you might have chosen to pay cash for those tickets and save your miles for a more valuable use. Now, they're going to gut those more valuable uses.

dcsnowwake Apr 5, 19 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30968651)
Not really, unless you're so point-rich that you never bother comparing the cash cost to the point cost. They'll decrease the award costs at times when cash fares would also be low. Previously, you might have chosen to pay cash for those tickets and save your miles for a more valuable use. Now, they're going to gut those more valuable uses.

Didn't think about that....DOH

msg75 Apr 5, 19 11:32 am

Among multiple other reasons this is really going to hit home as I've been saved many times when a last minute emergency comes up and I can grab a "reasonably" priced award flight within 24 hours vs paying an exorbitant walk-up $ fare.

jsloan Apr 5, 19 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 30968559)
  • Close-in award fees will not be charged on or after November 15, 2019
  • United flights will credit nearly instantly

I guess the close-in award fee elimination is a nice change -- except you'll basically just be paying the close-in fee in extra miles, most likely.

Also, this devalues the United Club credit card, since that also waived the (non-existent after 11/15) fees.

transportprof Apr 5, 19 11:39 am

How will this change affect the additional inventory available to elite members of Mileage Plus? How would that inventory price out in miles?

J.Edward Apr 5, 19 11:39 am

A few years ago I shifted my spend away from co-branded credit cards (e.g. Chase's UA Club Visa) to bank point ones (e.g. Sapphire Reserve, AX Plat) to escape being held hostage to a specific loyalty program and whatever changes they decide to make.

Points earned in UR / MR / etc. remain flexible and carry a par value of sorts. Plus with cheap F fares being what they are, using points to have the bank just buy you the flights you want often cost about the same in terms of points as redeeming an award.

Anyways the takeaway for me is to drop the co-branded financial products in favor of those that earn a point that can be transferred to multiple partners or cashed out.

EWR764 Apr 5, 19 11:40 am

Originally Posted by msg75 (Post 30968688)
Among multiple other reasons this is really going to hit home as I've been saved many times when a last minute emergency comes up and I can grab a "reasonably" priced award flight within 24 hours vs paying an exorbitant walk-up $ fare.

Which is precisely something they would rather do away with.

The name of the game is removing the “outsized” benefits associated with mileage redemption.

JetAway Apr 5, 19 11:40 am

I can't get too excited about this as I see both advantages and disadvantages for my specific situation. But it will be a major disadvantage for travelers locked into specific popular dates and seasons as well as award booking services looking for the best deals for their clients.

gold23 Apr 5, 19 11:41 am

The only way this could be of any good is if it frees up availabilty to use instruments. I doubt that will happen. Seems like a massive devaluation of UA miles. Guess Kirby can't be happy until we're all unhappy.

jp12687 Apr 5, 19 11:43 am

So as a GS I get a saver award in the ticketed cabin I’m in...wonder how that will work going forward?

this is going to suck. Soft product going down the tubes, cutting FAs, meh