Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL does not have a "full" fare table, if by full you mean a one-to-one mapping of revenue fare filings with award ones.
By a "full" table, I meant one that actually gets published and used as a fare table with things like AP and seasonality restrictions, and actively managed by RM as such. This is in contrast to the chart-based model, where each inventory class (X/XN, HN/YN) has a single fare valid for all flights and times with inventory. Didn't mean to imply it's the same as the revenue fares, although to be honest I'm mildly surprised they invested so much in a parallel construction instead of just fully going the way of pretty much every non-legacy FFP and pegging miles to dollars of fare. My best guess is too many people still redeem awards for patently silly valuations (far below 1 cpm) without thinking about it.

Originally Posted by Kacee
They will retain the concept of a lowest tier saver award that will book into X (economy) or I (business). While there will be no published chart, just as with DL, we will be able to figure out the price for these lowest tier awards through reverse engineering. This is the inventory which will be made available to *A partner programs for booking.
I believe to effectively follow DL, UA could just use X (partner and lowest inventory), and then two-letter codes like XM, XH, XW, etc. for higher inventory. XN space has never been a published CC benefit, but they could certainly retain it as-is. I do agree that I think waitlisting for a higher cabin is going away in the near future, since it just doesn't make sense with dynamic awards.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
f
They will retain the concept of a lowest tier saver award that will book into X (economy) or I (business). While there will be no published chart, just as with DL, we will be able to figure out the price for these lowest tier awards through reverse engineering. This is the inventory which will be made available to *A partner programs for booking.
So you anticipate that one can book into X and then call in and ask a UA agent to waitlist for I? And, that UA passengers will have some transparency regarding what will be the cost of the I when it clears? That would be nice, but does that not reduce the value proposition (for UA's business model) of dynamic pricing?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
The value proposition of Mileage Plus always was the Saver Award (a published number, regardless of the terminology), and being able to waitlist for it with a reasonable probability that it would clear. UA has already said that there will be dynamic pricing and no award chart. How can one possibly waitlist for a moving target with no published boundary conditions? I'd really like for someone to clue me in because my brain isn't big enough to figure out how it would work, and why UA would want to implement such a system when they have already committed to dynamic pricing.
Saver awards, yes — waitlisting, no. I’ve never done a Plan B award (waitlisting the overwater leg) and I doubt most people ever have. If UA keeps waitlisting, it’s because they’ve decided it’s valuable. After all — they don’t have to allow waitlisting on the current chart, but they have.

As for how it would work: if you go to the supermarket, and your favorite toothpaste is on sale for $3 a tube, but they’re out of stock, the price is still $3 a tube — you just can’t buy any today. But, you can go to customer service and ask for a rain check, so that when inventory is available, you can get your $3 tube of toothpaste. That’s how waitlisting would work, if they choose to allow it: they’d determine what the “Saver” price would be if there were any inventory available, and allow you to waitlist at that level.

I still think that they may drop Plan B waitlisting, but if they keep it, that’s how it would work.

I’m somewhat more skeptical of our ability to reverse-engineer UA’s fares due to the huge number of variations they offer — everyday awards seem to go in 500 mile increments from 13K to 32.5K already. That’s way more than can be explained easily by a fare table.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just note that you can have different award levels that all book into a single class/bucket based on advance purchase. DL has three levels for VS metal awards based on advance purchase, but which all book into the same class (A for coach, G for business). The Upper Class levels are 160K, 135K, and 86K with 135K and 86K levels requiring a 21-day and 60-day advance purchase, respectively.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan

Saver awards, yes — waitlisting, no. I’ve never done a Plan B award (waitlisting the overwater leg) and I doubt most people ever have. If UA keeps waitlisting, it’s because they’ve decided it’s valuable. After all — they don’t have to allow waitlisting on the current chart, but they have.

As for how it would work: if you go to the supermarket, and your favorite toothpaste is on sale for $3 a tube, but they’re out of stock, the price is still $3 a tube — you just can’t buy any today. But, you can go to customer service and ask for a rain check, so that when inventory is available, you can get your $3 tube of toothpaste. That’s how waitlisting would work, if they choose to allow it: they’d determine what the “Saver” price would be if there were any inventory available, and allow you to waitlist at that level.

I still think that they may drop Plan B waitlisting, but if they keep it, that’s how it would work.

I’m somewhat more skeptical of our ability to reverse-engineer UA’s fares due to the huge number of variations they offer — everyday awards seem to go in 500 mile increments from 13K to 32.5K already. That’s way more than can be explained easily by a fare table.

It's not too hard to reverse engineer the levels on a given domestic route (rather than systemwide) on DL using the calendar and the fare rules which they publish when you select an award. As I noted above, there are typically no more than a dozen or so main cabin levels on a domestic route (fewer for the other cabins). Yes, that's quite a few, but it certainly isn't infinite. The DL awards levels vary in 500 mile increments as well. For international awards, most of the award levels are region-to-region rather than being route specific and are easier to reverse engineer.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For international awards, most of the award levels are region-to-region rather than being route specific and are easier to reverse engineer.
Though I don't follow the DL forum that closely, it seems that the changes (up or down) on the more popular awards (e.g., US to Europe, US to SE Asia) are spotted pretty quickly, even without an award chart.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, no US airline has -- yet -- gone to fully dynamic partner awards.
Interestingly, AS seems to have launched (though not announced) two award levels for business class on Aer Lingus: "low" business awards which book into standard EI award space, and "high" business awards which cost over 4.5x the miles (60k for low, 280k for high) and, apparently, book into a revenue class (prior to this there was no ability to redeem AS miles on EI at all)

Not quite "fully dynamic". Not even clearly a devaluation (it's just another option, and you still have access to the saver award space at a reasonable price). But, yeah, maybe a slippery slope. First you introduce different award levels, then you go fully dynamic.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...demptions.html
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA MM
Well this latest devaluation finally caused me to drop the Chase M+ Visa card I've had for something like 30 years, in favor of the 2% cash back Fidelity card. I'm not a big CC guy, don't do the manufactured spending stuff or sign up for the bonuses, but I got a lot of miles on that card over the years, with a lot of business travel on my card and reimbursed by the company. But even without the $60 annual fee, the value of the miles is no longer a winning proposition compared to the cash back.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
SkyMiles are generally valued at 1 cpm and that's likely where UA will land. A 33% devaluation from current 1.5 cpm.

So the 1K rebate is also devalued by a third. It was already a borderline value proposition for many.
Well they haven't screwed over people who use their RDM to upgrade int'l flights...yet. I think eventually, we will see RDM for upgrades tied to the current cash buy-up price. So I really need to draw down my mileage balance because the more you have, the more you get screwed.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skymiles awards generally average about 1.2 CPM. There may be some people redeeming at less than 1 CPM, but you can get 1 CPM out of Pay with Miles while earning full MQM's, so it's probably not a large percentage of redemptions. DL currently has summer D1 seats to Europe for 128K RT. These seats typically go for around $3K+. I'm pretty sure that's better than 1 CPM.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
Well they haven't screwed over people who use their RDM to upgrade int'l flights...yet.
Yes they did — about 20 years ago, when they introduced the copay. Miles + copay isn’t usually a great value compared to either a saver award or just purchasing discount business class. That’s not to say that it’s not valuable for some people, but IME there are only a small number of routes where it really makes sense (lots of immediate upgrade space but no discount business class fares).

That said, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them adjust the system. They could drop the copay and increase the number of miles dramatically, since there’s no longer a virtual cap set by the saver award table. Of course, they could also keep the copay and increase the number of miles dramatically...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

That said, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them adjust the system. They could drop the copay and increase the number of miles dramatically, since there’s no longer a virtual cap set by the saver award table. Of course, they could also keep the copy and increase the number of miles dramatically...
My bet is that there will always be a copay and that it will not be decreased. It will be a total surprise to me if UA ever drops copay - unless the number of miles is increased very very dramatically. UA is now selling miles at 2-3 cents each. If you want to give them miles instead of cash, they probably value the miles at a fraction of these prices.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
My bet is that there will always be a copay and that it will not be decreased. It will be a total surprise to me if UA ever drops copay - unless the number of miles is increased very very dramatically. UA is now selling miles at 2-3 cents each. If you want to give them miles instead of cash, they probably value the miles at a fraction of these prices.
That’s exactly it, though; they can drop the copay and increase the number of miles needed dramatically.

Instead of $600 + 30K miles for an upgrade or 90K miles for Saver Business, it could easily be 300K miles for a Business Award or 150K miles for an upgrade.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Skymiles awards generally average about 1.2 CPM. There may be some people redeeming at less than 1 CPM, but you can get 1 CPM out of Pay with Miles while earning full MQM's, so it's probably not a large percentage of redemptions. DL currently has summer D1 seats to Europe for 128K RT. These seats typically go for around $3K+. I'm pretty sure that's better than 1 CPM.
from West Coast? UA had tons of saver Y & C seats from east coast when I checked months ago.

When i I last checked DL for the dates I needed (months ago) the flights were 150k-250k one way for summer business class. Releasing a few saver business class seats a few days before the flight (as UA often does) is useless for families planning vacations.

If 1cpm is the new normal for RDM then we will all adjust accordingly. But WN certainly looking better at 1.4 cpm. And as noted above you’d be a fool to charge a dime on an airline credit card.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo

from West Coast? UA had tons of saver Y & C seats from east coast when I checked months ago.

When i I last checked DL for the dates I needed (months ago) the flights were 150k-250k one way for summer business class. Releasing a few saver business class seats a few days before the flight (as UA often does) is useless for families planning vacations.

If 1cpm is the new normal for RDM then we will all adjust accordingly. But WN certainly looking better at 1.4 cpm. And as noted above you’d be a fool to charge a dime on an airline credit card.

Yes, the 128K RT rate is good from the west coast as well. They've had these awards available for several months now and it has been posted on the DL forum several times now. It requires a roundtrip booking with Saturday night stay, so if you are just searching as one-way's you will never see these redemption options. The award rates are good through Sep 4th and have a 60-day advance purchase requirement, so the window to redeem them is rapidly closing. While finding good DL awards can be challenging, it's not impossible if you have a basic understanding on how they work (with the RT and AP requirements which are exposed in their fare rules). There's also an oddball rate of 116K RT out of JAX to a number EU destinations which was posted on the DL forum a few days ago. This award has no expiration date.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 20, 2019 at 10:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.