Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
one-way, economy cabin, Mexico-USA.

Used to get this for 35k in saver F (same dates)
Yeah, that's pretty awful. The chart would be 17.5K Saver / 40K Everyday, so that's a 75% increase. The J chart is 30K Saver / 70K Everyday. So, yeah, a Y award at the old J price.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yeah, that's pretty awful. The chart would be 17.5K Saver / 40K Everyday, so that's a 75% increase. The J chart is 30K Saver / 70K Everyday. So, yeah, a Y award at the old J price.
Can't say I am surprised. Many said this was coming. Very depressing indeed.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wco81
Just did some award searches to end of schedule which is around mid May 2020.

Most of the TATL Savers in J that I'm seeing are using TP, LOT or a couple of AC mixed-cabin awards (Y from SFO to YYZ). If you search for TATL Savers in J for this summer and fall, you see a few of them offered through LOT and that's it. Once in awhile there have been some LX awards.

So is MP ever going to offer TATL J Saver awards on its own metal or on LH again?
IME LH releases saver business and first seats to UA inside of 2 weeks prior to departure. Not good for those that like to plan ahead, but if you're willing to wait until the last minute, those LH F seats are pretty sweet.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Departing from Houston, Turkish often has saver J available to Europe using UA miles.

Saver J on UA metal to Europe is nearly impossible to find from IAH.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
IME LH releases saver business and first seats to UA inside of 2 weeks prior to departure. Not good for those that like to plan ahead, but if you're willing to wait until the last minute, those LH F seats are pretty sweet.
Yes I just found 2 saver return seats VCE-FRA-SFO on LH for a next day flight. That doesn’t work well for families or others who don’t want to roll the dice on business class for your return flight to US.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I've been watching the rates (Everyday) to / from Australia. Traditionally they were 200k each way in J. About 2-3 weeks ago I noticed some 260ks around Christmas and New Years, but I dismissed it as being a peak week to vacation in the Southern Hemisphere. I looked back on Saturday night and saw a lot of 360ks, especially on FRI SAT SUN over the southern summer (Feb Mar APR). Traveling to/from EWR, the cash price is close to $8,000 round trip. That makes the miles worth 1.11cpm, down from 2.0cpm.

Also, now that rates are no longer fixed, is there a difference between Saver and Everyday awards other than to say it's a cheap flight? When rates were fixed, there were 2 rates. The terms Saver and Everyday were used to differentiate between the two. Now that rates aren't fixed, where do we draw the line? While I guess one could still pay the Everyday rate when a Saver fare is available if really wanted to, but unlike cash tickets, is there any benefit to this?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Also, now that rates are no longer fixed, is there a difference between Saver and Everyday awards other than to say it's a cheap flight? When rates were fixed, there were 2 rates. The terms Saver and Everyday were used to differentiate between the two. Now that rates aren't fixed, where do we draw the line? While I guess one could still pay the Everyday rate when a Saver fare is available if really wanted to, but unlike cash tickets, is there any benefit to this?
Delta basically has a full fare table (many inventory classes, AP/seasonality/time requirements, etc) with many different fares for various mileage amounts. Seems pretty clear UA is headed in the same direction.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Departing from Houston, Turkish often has saver J available to Europe using UA miles.

Saver J on UA metal to Europe is nearly impossible to find from IAH.
I'm looking at DEN-IST for next spring break and TK definitely has space available ORD-IST on a good selection of dates. The challenge is often getting the UA positioning flight with a decent connection. That's for 70K miles. Any time UA shows in the list it's 155K miles.

Last edited by tods27; Jun 18, 2019 at 9:16 am
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by phkc070408
From Day One, I have been saying that this change marks the end of the concept of Saver Awards. Finished. While need time to be assured of this, it is only logical that when there is no fixed award chart, one can't waitlist for something that is a moving target. If anyone cares to experiment, try booking an economy award ticket on one of those days where Everyday J is 360000 miles, and see if you can waitlist for I (and be quoted what the price will be for I.)
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
From Day One, I have been saying that this change marks the end of the concept of Saver Awards. Finished. While need time to be assured of this, it is only logical that when there is no fixed award chart, one can't waitlist for something that is a moving target.
They will probably keep the concept of a limited-availability inventory bucket to be used with the least-expensive awards, and it’s possible that they’ll allow you to waitlist for some applicable fare. The fact that inventory is zero doesn’t immediately imply that there can’t be a price.

The limited-availability bucket also allows them to keep partner awards limited to a subset of their seats, allows Premier members and qualifying credit card members to see lower prices, and prevents people from having unlimited SDC availability on any award ticket.

So, I think it’s likely that the X bucket sticks around. Whether or not waitlisting does, I think, is up in the air.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by Boraxo

Yes I just found 2 saver return seats VCE-FRA-SFO on LH for a next day flight. That doesn’t work well for families or others who don’t want to roll the dice on business class for your return flight to US.
I know that most would try to avoid paying the fuel charges associated with using LH miles. In my case I usually travel with the wife and two kids and have been fortunate in being able to use LH miles to book 4 RT business class months in advance. Have even seen first class pop up on rare occassions for 4 (but these usually only a few weeks out). Have always used LH miles to travel Europe. Yes the cost for each of those award tickets lately have ranged between $800 and $1000, but there was no way I could plan ahead with UA miles. Flying out of Mexico City has also been an option for us for lesser fuel charges. In some instances I have resorted to using my UA miles to book hotels instead and using either cash or some other airlines miles to fly. And I don't like rolling the dice when traveling with my children. Yes planning ahead will cost you, but it takes the anxiety out of not having a set itinerary.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Delta basically has a full fare table (many inventory classes, AP/seasonality/time requirements, etc) with many different fares for various mileage amounts. Seems pretty clear UA is headed in the same direction.
I think it’s likely that the X bucket sticks around.
Yes, that's what DL has done - retained the cheapest award fare class for SkyTeam awards. UA will similarly need a common bucket for alliance wide awards, and those will almost certainly remain as X and I. They may be required (by agreement with Chase) to retain XN as well.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

They will probably keep the concept of a limited-availability inventory bucket to be used with the least-expensive awards, and it’s possible that they’ll allow you to waitlist for some applicable fare. The fact that inventory is zero doesn’t immediately imply that there can’t be a price.

The limited-availability bucket also allows them to keep partner awards limited to a subset of their seats, allows Premier members and qualifying credit card members to see lower prices, and prevents people from having unlimited SDC availability on any award ticket.

So, I think it’s likely that the X bucket sticks around. Whether or not waitlisting does, I think, is up in the air.
The value proposition of Mileage Plus always was the Saver Award (a published number, regardless of the terminology), and being able to waitlist for it with a reasonable probability that it would clear. UA has already said that there will be dynamic pricing and no award chart. How can one possibly waitlist for a moving target with no published boundary conditions? I'd really like for someone to clue me in because my brain isn't big enough to figure out how it would work, and why UA would want to implement such a system when they have already committed to dynamic pricing.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
DL does not have a "full" fare table, if by full you mean a one-to-one mapping of revenue fare filings with award ones. Domestically, they typically have one or two BE award fares vs. a dozen or so revenue BE fares (they haven't started BE awards on international routes as of yet). For main cabin, they might have about a dozen award levels vs. a good two to three dozen revenue fares. There are fewer C+ and FC award levels. Also, there can be different levels of bucket availability for the award fares vs. the revenue fares. You might find T bucket for a revenue fare, while there is X bucket for an award fare (and vice-versa). Of course, they probably aren't going to let the bucket inventories get too out of sync with each other. And the advance purchase requirements of the fares somewhat forces the correlation once you get closer to a flight. So there tends to be a closer correlation between revenue and award pricing, but it is still pretty far from the correlation you will find on WN awards. Here's an example of the awards on DTW-BOS that I looked at a few weeks ago (they may changed since then) with the BE awards and first 7 main cabin awards along with AP requirements. On a number of routes they will have some awards that require roundtrip bookings (just like for revenue fares). DTW-BOS is simpler because all awards are one-way's. You can see the award fare bucket is the third letter in the fare basis code.

ESV050, 5K, 21-day, Basic Economy
ESX065, 6.5K, 21-day, Basic Economy

YSV055, 5.5K, 21-day
YSX075, 7.5K, 21-day
YST100, 10K, 14-day
YSU120, 12K, 7-day
YSL150, 15K, 14-day
YSL165,16.5K, 7-day
YSL180, 18K, 3-day
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 747FC
The value proposition of Mileage Plus always was the Saver Award (a published number, regardless of the terminology), and being able to waitlist for it with a reasonable probability that it would clear. UA has already said that there will be dynamic pricing and no award chart. How can one possibly waitlist for a moving target with no published boundary conditions? I'd really like for someone to clue me in because my brain isn't big enough to figure out how it would work, and why UA would want to implement such a system when they have already committed to dynamic pricing.
They will retain the concept of a lowest tier saver award that will book into X (economy) or I (business). While there will be no published chart, just as with DL, we will be able to figure out the price for these lowest tier awards through reverse engineering. This is the inventory which will be made available to *A partner programs for booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.