Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You are applying an irrationally narrow definition of "partner award." It is entirely possible to construct a 400k Y award on DL that involves partner segments. If you think that's okay, well I don't think you'll find many here who agree with you.

And btw, I've booked DL partner awards within the past month, probably half a dozen within the past two years.
I am defining them exactly how DL and the DL forum here on FT define them. But without an actual example and fare basis codes, there's nothing really to discuss here.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
There was a recent thread where a poster was crowing about hitting the 10,000,000-RDM level. I wonder how many people out there have amassed insane amounts of RDMs such that 155k Everyday Awards in Business to Europe (e.g., ~1.2 MM for a family of four RT) don't faze them in the least. I can only imaging the creative ways that high-net-worth individuals and businesses could run many millions of dollars through their 3X Chase cards, accumulating huge RDM balances.

This dynamic has got to figure in to these airlines' decisions to increase award levels the way that they are, eh?
Old May 10, 2019, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bonehead
This dynamic has got to figure in to these airlines' decisions to increase award levels the way that they are, eh?
Indeed.

IMO, UA would do well to more effectively differentiate award availability (and pricing) between those who manufacture credit card spend and those who spend $15k or more a year on airline tickets. They risk alienating the latter due to the points inflation caused by the former.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Indeed.

IMO, UA would do well to more effectively differentiate award availability (and pricing) between those who manufacture credit card spend and those who spend $15k or more a year on airline tickets. They risk alienating the latter due to the points inflation caused by the former.
I'm trying to think of a system that dynamically prices awards based in part on a user's mileage balance and spend on flights versus spend on a fleet of Teslas (that can't be gamed).

Come on...someone who spends 15K on flights and accumulates 80% of their miles via BIS flying is a very different customer than the hedge fund manager who manages to put a $5MM house in the Hamptons on a credit card.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:09 am

You could argue that United was paid hard cash in advance for those credit card miles and thus they are worth more than 'free' miles...
Old May 10, 2019, 10:21 am

I'm trying to think of a system that dynamically prices awards based in part on a user's mileage balance and spend on flights versus spend on a fleet of Teslas (that can't be gamed).

Come on...someone who spends 15K on flights and accumulates 80% of their miles via BIS flying is a very different customer than the hedge fund manager who manages to put a $5MM house in the Hamptons on a credit card.
Do you know which case is more profitable to United? It seems like buying 5,000,000 miles might be the winner. Also how do you know what United wants to prioritize?
Old May 10, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
You could argue that United was paid hard cash in advance for those credit card miles and thus they are worth more than 'free' miles...
Makes me wonder how long Alaska will remain that way... I wonder if they can actually afford not to credit on a per mile basis because they dont have enough users with their CC (as evidenced by them offering via BOA 3x miles per $ on Alaska flights.. more miles that are aledgedly worth more) has to because they dont have the same operating economics at scale as AA/UA/DL.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
There was a recent thread where a poster was crowing about hitting the 10,000,000-RDM level. I wonder how many people out there have amassed insane amounts of RDMs such that 155k Everyday Awards in Business to Europe (e.g., ~1.2 MM for a family of four RT) don't faze them in the least. I can only imaging the creative ways that high-net-worth individuals and businesses could run many millions of dollars through their 3X Chase cards, accumulating huge RDM balances.
I redeemed two round trip EWR-ZRH standard awards JN for family members. It's 155K miles each way per person, and 620K miles total.

The J fares are around $9000 each, so I guess 3 cent/mile is OK.

I have lot of miles and figure I should spend them.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
I redeemed two round trip EWR-ZRH standard awards JN for family members. It's 155K miles each way per person, and 620K miles total.

The J fares are around $9000 each, so I guess 3 cent/mile is OK.

I have lot of miles and figure I should spend them.
yes but 300k and 6cpm is better. I have a ton of miles too but I do not agree to be ripped off compared to the old program and will act accordingly (of course I’m a hypocrite having just spent 50k x4 on one-way awards from Cancunfor a prime holiday nonstop - but I see that as using a free option to lock seats in the event cheaper inventory does’t emerge)

Last edited by Boraxo; May 11, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
someone who spends 15K on flights and accumulates 80% of their miles via BIS flying is a very different customer than the hedge fund manager who manages to put a $5MM house in the Hamptons on a credit card.
That's not how people acquire millions of miles through spend. It's typically business expenses run through a card.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:51 pm

Question Should I book award travel now from TPA to DEL?

Hi Seniors, I currently have about 160k United miles available. Someone was telling me there will be mileage hike sometime this year. Should I book a business class ticket now and will the change in date of departure cost me a penalty? I may go before December this year or early next year. Should I book award travel now or wait? Thanks.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesbondc
Hi Seniors, I currently have about 160k United miles available. Someone was telling me there will be mileage hike sometime this year. Should I book a business class ticket now and will the change in date of departure cost me a penalty? I may go before December this year or early next year. Should I book award travel now or wait? Thanks.
The price increase already happened, for all flights on or after November 15.

If you see something that works for your schedule, you should book it, because it may disappear and never return.

Assuming no status with United, it's $75 to change dates more than 60 days prior to departure, or $125 within 60 days.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Assuming no status with United, it's $75 to change dates more than 60 days prior to departure, or $125 within 60 days.
Note the change charge is $75/person or $125/person for each change.

David
Old May 12, 2019, 8:48 pm

So if I book a saver award before this devaluation. Can I change award ticket after devaluation? I guess I have to pay more miles since they are getting rid of award chart?
Old May 12, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IamHungry
So if I book a saver award before this devaluation. Can I change award ticket after devaluation? I guess I have to pay more miles since they are getting rid of award chart?
The devaluation has already happened.

If you need to make a change to an award, you'll pay whatever the difference is in miles between the flight that you want and what you already paid, plus the change fee. For flights after 11/15, that difference could be anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.