Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 3:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
.... Outside of FT, I probably know about 5 people who care about status.
We are self-help counseling group for status seekers
Old May 9, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Current EZE-IAH-LAX is 60K one way saver/155K non saver

Has anyone had experience with LAX-EZE / EZE-LAX after November 15?

I am wondering if the new redemption levels offer 2 redemption prices as they do now, or are you just set for one fare
Old May 9, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by caseminole
Has anyone had experience with LAX-EZE / EZE-LAX after November 15?

I am wondering if the new redemption levels offer 2 redemption prices as they do now, or are you just set for one fare
The future will include far more than just two levels - definitely seasonality, advance purchase, and inventory constraints.. probably day of week as well.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
The future will include far more than just two levels - definitely seasonality, advance purchase, and inventory constraints.. probably day of week as well.
But probably just one number for a given itin for a cabin on a given day and set of flights (the past two pricings never made any sense, why would one ever pick the high mileage offer?)

No saver and standard / everyday offer --- just a single offer which will vary.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's how DL does it. For partners, too.

It's awful.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
But probably just one number for a given itin for a cabin on a given day and set of flights (the past two pricings never made any sense, why would one ever pick the high mileage offer?)

We should expect a change in the website portrayal come 11/15. Probably too difficult to have Saver and Everyday columns showing pre- 11/15, and only one column showing after 11/15.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC

We should expect a change in the website portrayal come 11/15. Probably too difficult to have Saver and Everyday columns showing pre- 11/15, and only one column showing after 11/15.
It's too late for post 15 Nov 2019 flights, that date is not related to bookings but rather flights.
For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.
The future is here for flights after 15 Nov 2019 -- it just UA has immediately changed the miles needed.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's how DL does it. For partners, too.

It's awful.
DL partners are pretty much fixed and don't change that frequently. There are typically one or two levels with difference advance purchase requirements.

Last edited by xliioper; May 9, 2019 at 9:26 pm
Old May 9, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL partners are pretty much fixed and don't change that frequently. There are typically one or two levels with difference advance purchase requirements.
Are you saying it's not that bad? Because I really disagree.

More than one level for partners is a horrible development. The new levels are all higher than what used to be a fixed price.

And an AP requirement for partners is also a horrible development. Moreoever, pricing variation is based on more than AP. God forbid you need a domestic connector on DL. It's now possible to book a 400k partner Y award on DL. One-way.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
It's too late for post 15 Nov 2019 flights, that date is not related to bookings but rather flights.

The future is here for flights after 15 Nov 2019 -- it just UA has immediately changed the miles needed.
My point is that I suspect that sometime after 11/15, the booking website will change and one will see no column mentioning Saver Awards.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: None - previously UA
But some days (like 1/30 if you’re lucky) will still show saver rate. I’m more concerned about partner advance booking rules. I’ve managed to change to LH,SA and NZ premium cabins less than T-48h with good results.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
2 one-ways within US + non-US intra region free leg, now dead

For what it’s worth, for the past several weeks (maybe longer), it has been possible to book two one way flights within the USA, and in in the middle of those two legs take an intra region trip (in the same class of service) anywhere in the world for free. This is now dead.

ORD - MIA (12.5k miles)
LHR - FRA (free)
SFO - ORD (12.5k miles)

Now the middle segment is priced. Don’t think it was ever supposed to have worked the way it was working, but FYI.

Old May 10, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you saying it's not that bad? Because I really disagree.

More than one level for partners is a horrible development. The new levels are all higher than what used to be a fixed price.

And an AP requirement for partners is also a horrible development. Moreoever, pricing variation is based on more than AP. God forbid you need a domestic connector on DL. It's now possible to book a 400k partner Y award on DL. One-way.
There are no 400K partner awards on DL. [Moderator edit: [A] partner award [edit] on Delta -- [edit] involves flying actual partner metal over the ocean. Just because there is partner metal involved on some segment does not make it a "partner" award. I'm not disagreeing that DL's program is "bad". [Moderator edit] I have spent many, many hours studying award calendars and reading award fare rules. It's pretty clear that many have very little understanding how the program works and I suspect they've never even looked at a DL award fare rule.

For example, AF/KL/AZ J awards to Europe are currently 75K each way (CSMH750 fare basis code) and there is only one level. It has been at this level for some time. They do have a 60-day advance purchase requirement.
VA J awards to Australia are 100K CSM1000 awards with no advance purchase requirement. There are no other VA partner levels. However, they pretty much only provide availability at the last minute. All those other prices you see below are DL metal over the ocean awards (which have various levels).

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 10, 2019 at 9:48 am Reason: Moderator edits per FT Rule 12 that members discuss the topic, and not other members in a personal way.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
My point is that I suspect that sometime after 11/15, the booking website will change and one will see no column mentioning Saver Awards.
That seems plausible; they've already done that for Economy awards, after all.

Originally Posted by boat9781
Now the middle segment is priced. Don’t think it was ever supposed to have worked the way it was working, but FYI.
Excursionist Perk pricing has been broken for a few months. What you described still works -- sometimes. UA doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix it.

For awards that don't look like an abuse of the system, you can call, and an agent can price them manually. For something like you describe, I wouldn't call.

For example, AF/KL/AZ J awards to Europe are currently 75K each way (CSMH750 fare basis code) and there is only one level. It has been at this level for some time. They do have a 60-day advance purchase requirement.
A 60-day advance purchase requirement would be a great match for programs that don't release inventory until it's clear it's not going to sell.

All those other prices you see below are DL metal over the ocean awards (which have various levels).
I can't speak to DL's world, but in UA's world, I expect it to look a lot like it does today, but worse. Even if UA does keep partner levels unchanged -- and they won't -- you'll only be able to get them if you are flying trips without a UA segment. Today, if BR has a J award on IAH-TPE, it's 80K miles, but if UA doesn't have saver space on my connecting AUS-IAH flight, it's 175K miles. As of right now, I'm still seeing saver / everyday awards at the current prices for post-11/15 travel, but how long will it last?

Oh, and in stellar UA fashion -- the fare rules have been removed from the website for award tickets. If you click on "View fare rules," you get the fare basis code(s) used to build the award, but instead of a CAPTCHA allowing you to read the full text, there's just a general description of award travel rules. Another from me, UA.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:35 am

There are no 400K partner awards on DL. [A partner award on Delta] involves flying actual partner metal over the ocean.
You are applying an irrationally narrow definition of "partner award." It is entirely possible to construct a 400k Y award on DL that involves partner segments. If you think that's okay, well I don't think you'll find many here who agree with you.

And btw, I've booked DL partner awards within the past month, probably half a dozen within the past two years.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 10, 2019 at 9:52 am Reason: Conforming moderator edit to original quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.