Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, well no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than whats currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and youll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if youre traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, were removing close-in fees, so you wont be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than whats currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than whats listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if youre traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Old May 1, 2019, 10:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Dynamic pricing began last year with the introduction of Everyday Awards.

The post-11/15 change is the elimination of the chart and the cap.
And the apparent elimination of the "saver award" concept as a separate award type

For the earlier change / EveryDay awards, phase I of dynamic awards in 2017,
see UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
Old May 1, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And the apparent elimination of the "saver award" concept as a separate award type
"Every seat is an award seat!"
Old May 1, 2019, 3:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Steve M
"Every seat is an award seat!"
Except that some of those awards are for stupidity in redemption.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nsx
Get ready for 1 million miles redemption for a round-trip US-Aussi biz class awards soon.

I am canceling my Chase MP card.

Should have done it when DL eliminated award chart as UA always follows DL's lead when it's bad for the consumers.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
But whose stupider, the one who redeems for a poor award today or the poor sap who sits on their miles only to see them be devalued further?
Old May 1, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kb1992
Get ready for 1 million miles redemption for a round-trip US-Aussi biz class awards soon.

I am canceling my Chase MP card.

Should have done it when DL eliminated award chart as UA always follows DL's lead when it's bad for the consumers.
Mine's been retired from use, and most of the credit moved to a new CSR, but I'm going to keep the card through the annual fee cycle.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HAudidoody
Mine's been retired from use, and most of the credit moved to a new CSR, but I'm going to keep the card through the annual fee cycle.
Same here, don't see a reason to close it in the middle of the annual cycle. Will cancel the card when the annual fee comes around.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Time to look for a mileage broker as I did for my Skypeso's and unload these extra miles before the devaluation process begins....
Old May 3, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by schley
What I haven't seen yet is any plans to change the upgrade award chart. This comes in handy when booking international flights and compare them against the various booking classes by carrier with upgrade availability.

My guess is there will be some change, but not dynamic as award bookings.
how do you figure? there's almost never space to upgrade into anyways.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had dinner the other day with a 1K friend. All his flights are overseas C and domestic F-class, giving usually the nod to UA, if/when he can. Overall spend typically $ 30K - $ 35K p.a. on UA.
Once an year he has some family members travelling along with him. He clearly states, he will leave UA completely, if he has to shell out 100Ks of miles for such awards.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Once an year he has some family members travelling along with him. He clearly states, he will leave UA completely, if he has to shell out 100Ks of miles for such awards.
While I understand the sentiment, it's not really clear that there's another airline that's better in terms of redemption levels, at least among DL, AA, and UA.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, Amex Platinum
While I understand the sentiment, it's not really clear that there's another airline that's better in terms of redemption levels, at least among DL, AA, and UA.
My take was that if the FFPs become more or less equal, then his friend may choose to spend his dollars elsewhere for reasons such as service, schedule, etc. I travel exclusively for pleasure and will keep loyalty to United for now, but depending on how all the dominoes fall, I'll certainly spend based on other factors in the future if MileagePlus continues to become less predictable. There's little value in accumulating a currency with little purchasing power stability - especially when it's always depreciating (and never the other direction).

On a side note, I especially had liked the ability to craft itineraries to somewhat difficult to reach places, and the now limited (or generally) zero ability to construct award itineraries and the award engine's lack of perceived creativity has been frustrating. There's still significant value to be had but for how long? We'll see.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOSskier
My take was that if the FFPs become more or less equal, then his friend may choose to spend his dollars elsewhere for reasons such as service, schedule, etc.
Sure, and that I agree with, but if someone is spending $35K on UA, presumably at least some of those trips are offering the service, schedule, etc. that the passenger is looking for.

I understand "I'm going to become a free agent." I understand "DL offers better service." I'm not sure I understand "If it's going to cost hundreds of thousands of miles to redeem for an award, I don't want to fly your airline," because I suspect that's going to be approximately equally true for every airline as soon as they can all figure out how to make it happen.

For me, UA is trying desperately to fire me as a customer, and they may well succeed. My personal problem is, while DL and UA would work equally well for me domestically, Star Alliance >> SkyTeam for me internationally. It's not an easy decision.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For paid premium cabin flyers, kayaking becomes an ever more attractive option.

And even being SFO based, when choosing exclusively based on quality, price, and schedule, UA is often not in the hunt.
For me, UA is trying desperately to fire me as a customer, and they may well succeed. My personal problem is, while DL and UA would work equally well for me domestically, Star Alliance >> SkyTeam for me internationally. It's not an easy decision.
UA has already lost half my spend. That's going mostly to AS and foreign carriers that credit to AS.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by entropy
how do you figure? there's almost never space to upgrade into anyways.
That may be true for upgrades at time of ticketing, but at least so far, UA hasn't done anything to upgrades clearing on day of departure. Aside from some seats being taken for cash upgrades at time of check-in, UA still will release every available premium-cabin seat for upgrades at the gate, and will fill them until the upgrade list is empty, even upgrading a no-status passenger before a single non-rev gets seated in those cabins. Contrast this with some non-US carriers, that "protect the integrity of the premium cabin" by limiting upgrades, keeping paid passengers that want to upgrade in economy while premium seats fly empty (or with a non-rev in them).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.