Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jrpallante
I was just looking for award flights to New Zealand, and every single business class seat over a 3-month window is 200K or more (one-way). I traveled there a few months ago, and I had NUMEROUS options around 80-90K, depending on departure city. The net result of these recent changes is clearly a big FU to united passengers. Moreover, the devaluation seems to apply to all partner flights. Anybody surprised?
While I agree that this is a devaluation, it doesn't apply to partner flights (yet). Anytime I glace at New Zealand awards I never see any saver space on partners to get those lower rates. But maybe I just have bad luck.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by halls120
My new Chase Sapphire card is on the way, so I'll be joining you.
Originally Posted by 747FC
Can't emphasize enough the reward value of the Reserve. It may not be for everybody, but if you travel and dine out, it is gold. 61% of my spend earns 3X, and it does add up.
Cobrand cards are good for some benefits (check bag, better award availability, etc.). However, they are rarely good for any meaningful spend. I dumped the UA card years ago. I put all my spend on the AMEX Platinum (Airfare), AMEX Gold (US Restaurants, US Supermarkets), AMEX Blue Business Plus (non bonused everyday spend), CSR (non airfare travel, international dining).

I wonder how chase will update their marketing. You can no longer market that 25k miles is enough for a round trip domestic saver ticket.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrpallante
Moreover, the devaluation seems to apply to all partner flights. Anybody surprised?
I won't be surprised when it does happen, but supposedly it hasn't yet. Are you sure you weren't looking at connecting flights that include a United segment? Those will be subject to the new prices right away; all-partner itineraries allegedly won't.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Delete.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Apr 23, 2019 at 8:19 am
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I won't be surprised when it does happen, but supposedly it hasn't yet. Are you sure you weren't looking at connecting flights that include a United segment? Those will be subject to the new prices right away; all-partner itineraries allegedly won't.
Hopefully not a dumb question but thought I'd ask, how would you know if partner award availability switches to dynamic awards? Is it strictly any deviation from the award chart (i.e. price lower/higher than the saver rate?)

Cheers,

James
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by JHake10

I wonder how chase will update their marketing. You can no longer market that 25k miles is enough for a round trip domestic saver ticket.
I do not doubt that the prize for signing up will still get a domestic RT award, most likely by providing specially discounted awards for cardholders.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Hopefully not a dumb question but thought I'd ask, how would you know if partner award availability switches to dynamic awards? Is it strictly any deviation from the award chart (i.e. price lower/higher than the saver rate?)
Yes. And since the chart will be removed, you'd really need to see differing prices for partner flights at the same time to be able to distinguish dynamic awards from UA deciding to revise its no-longer-published chart.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Cobrand cards are good for some benefits (check bag, better award availability, etc.). However, they are rarely good for any meaningful spend. I dumped the UA card years ago. I put all my spend on the AMEX Platinum (Airfare), AMEX Gold (US Restaurants, US Supermarkets), AMEX Blue Business Plus (non bonused everyday spend), CSR (non airfare travel, international dining).
+1. 2x UA miles on airline spend is an abysmal bulk rate (and has been for many years); strictly outclassed by the CSR (3x UR -> 3x UA if you are so inclined) and many, many other options at 4.5% or higher.

Well, to be technical, you can now get a domestic round trip for as few as 12k miles
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:22 pm

Seeing 90k one way biz saver for Manila 2020 on EVA. Was it always that price?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by atojbk
Seeing 90k one way biz saver for Manila 2020 on EVA. Was it always that price?
"Always" is a long time. Star Alliance business US to SE Asia has been 90k for several years.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I redeemed 160k for SFO-TPE-SIN and SIN-NRT-SFO for travel last June.

Think I redeemed it in the summer or fall of 2017, before the the new award charts.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wco81
before the the new award charts.
So what exactly is the relevance?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
this is funny. so letting more members have the same access to the good stuff you have hoarded for yourself is bad? talk about selfish.
I give United $15k+ of my & my client's money each year so I can "hoard" 1K benefits. Selfishness has nothing to do with it.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Gold
I had already printed a copy of the latest award charts so I will use it for reference to see how badly I am getting screwed in the future.

What happens to partner award pricing if I need a connecting UA flight to get to the partner award flight city? Do I first see what the partner flight would be and then add the connecting flight and see if that changes the total amount of points needed? In some cases, I might be better off buying a cheap econ ticket to connect to a J saver award flight.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
What happens to partner award pricing if I need a connecting UA flight to get to the partner award flight city? Do I first see what the partner flight would be and then add the connecting flight and see if that changes the total amount of points needed? In some cases, I might be better off buying a cheap econ ticket to connect to a J saver award flight.
Yes, that's probably the approach I'd take, just like you might do if you were buying cash tickets. By making things more complicated, UA is setting things up to reward* people who take the time to search for the best deals.

* Well, to hurt them less, anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.