Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
An entry-level GS earns ~550K miles/yr. This devaluation is roughly 30%, so you lose ~150K miles. Big deal. A single C class ticket can accrue 75K miles. The bet UA is making is:

1. GS - will be mildly annoyed, but no big deal. The quest for $50K PQD/yr on UA metal will march right along...
2. 1K - generally happy, as the entry-level 1K only earns ~140K miles/yr, so only a 42K mile hit. Making it easier to use GPUs and RPU will be much appreciated by 1Ks.
3. Some of the casual credit card mile earners will leave the eco-system, but many will stay and simply pay the new premium award amounts.

Overall a win for UA and especially for #2 .
Not sure where you are getting your numbers aside from just pie in the sky guessing. The devaluation amount is a total unknown. A flight that goes for 12k r/t today could be 95k r/t after the change using Delta as an example. No one, GS or otherwise, is going to be happy coughing up 5-10x the miles for an award ticket. This change might make YOU happy because you assume everyone except your fellow GS members will leave and you'll have empty F cabins to upgrade into?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not sure where you are getting your numbers aside from just pie in the sky guessing. The devaluation amount is a total unknown. A flight that goes for 12k r/t today could be 95k r/t after the change using Delta as an example. No one, GS or otherwise, is going to be happy coughing up 5-10x the miles for an award ticket. This change might make YOU happy because you assume everyone except your fellow GS members will leave and you'll have empty F cabins to upgrade into?
I doubt this. Limited saver availabity already means that most of the seats affected by this will be seats that are already set at standard award levels. So no 12k seats.

This is really about (1) increasing the cost of STANDARD awards in peak times and on peak routes, and (2) making it extremely difficult to fly transoceanic J for free.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dilanesp
This is really about (1) increasing the cost of STANDARD awards in peak times and on peak routes, and (2) making it extremely difficult to fly transoceanic J for free.
1. Everyday awards are already dynamic. This change is about effectively eliminating the fixed price saver award.
2. The miles I earn are through UA spend are not "free." Many of us expressly take their value into account in determining to direct our spend to UA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2019 at 9:17 pm Reason: repaired quote attribution
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
1. Everyday awards are already dynamic. This change is about effectively eliminating the fixed price saver award.
2. The miles I earn are through UA spend are not "free." Many of us expressly take their value into account in determining to direct our spend to UA.
To UA, you are flying "free"'- or, alternatively, being comped into a seat that has a market value of thousands of dollars.

You can still redeem your miles under the new system So your spending will still be recognized. You just won't be able to access UA's most valuable product as often. You will have a choice between accessing it less often or using your miles for other rewards such as domestic flights or partner J. And as a business matter for UA, that makes sense. Awards in transoceanic J were significantly underpriced.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You just won't be able to access UA's most valuable product as often. You will have a choice between accessing it less often or using your miles for other rewards such as domestic flights or partner J. And as a business matter for UA, that makes sense. Awards in transoceanic J were significantly underpriced.
lol this is hilarious. Did you lift it from a UA script?

Actually, I will simply buy J on other carriers which have a superior product. And use my transferable currencies to book awards in programs that still provide value.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:03 pm

lol this is hilarious. Did you lift it from a UA script?

Actually, I will simply buy J on other carriers which have a superior product. And use my transferable currencies to book awards in programs that still provide value.
They won't for long. Everyone is devaluing their RDM's.

And honestly the airlines WANT you to pay cash for transoceanic J. That's the entire point! The most valuable real estate on the airplane was being given to FF'ers when it could have sold for thousands of dollars.

FF'ers were exploiting an inefficiency in the system by redeeming miles at very generous rates to snag international J seats that were incredibly valuable. Airlines are now deciding, one by one, that with flights going out full and transoceanic J such an important profit center, that we aren't going to get to do that anymore.

This was inevitable, and you will see your other options for doing this close off over time.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
This is the classic "bad news wrapped in good news" that Continental used to be famous for. I'd put this one at 90% bad, 10% good, based on experience already with Delta.

The close-in fee removal reminds me of when Continental upgraded meals on trans-Atlantic service as a "good news" amid bad news. I immediately predicted - correctly - that that change would get swept away as soon as the airline hit a bump with the economy or other hard times. I think this one will reappear, too, next time the go looking for more revenue to please Wall Street. But the opacity on the award chart and higher mileage costs to redeem they want to be permanent.

I can't speak to the situation with upgrade awards (have burned some 2.9 million but almost none on premium cabins), but if you look at Delta with the no-chart pricing you'll see the increases for Y awards far outweigh the decreases. A low-load non-stop short-haul like ATL-MCI-ATL will be lower, but a trip like ATL-SCL-ATL will be significantly higher at about any time of the year, even with the flight having empty seats a fair amount of the time. Asia awards are hard to find under 100K.

Some of us already took a lot of our trips in the spring or fall slow seasons and know full well where the least busy periods are, but pricing for these is still quite a bit higher in most cases. There will always be something for the airline to point to like the ATL-MCI-ATL, but overall I think the direction will be unmistakable. And because there's opacity (something that's almost always the enemy of consumers), it'll be hard to put a value on the miles but it'll be significantly less. All those Baby Boomers who ran up miles in high-travel jobs and expected to spend them in retirement better hurry, or your "life savings" might buy only 3-4 trips.

Would agree with the poster upthread that it's the end of an era (sorry, millennials, another thing being left to you in used-up form) and that it'll mean that loyalty no longer makes sense for most of us. I've been operating that way since 2016 and have less than 100K in DL, UA or AA left (out of 3M+ lifetime earned), but with moves like this I'd cut up the mileage cards if I still had them. My last Asia trip was a $530 LAX-BKK-LAX on Xiamen bought with credit card points. The downside was earning zero miles on anyone, but I guess it's not as much of a downside soon.

They won't for long. Everyone is devaluing their RDM's.

And honestly the airlines WANT you to pay cash for transoceanic J. That's the entire point! The most valuable real estate on the airplane was being given to FF'ers when it could have sold for thousands of dollars.

FF'ers were exploiting an inefficiency in the system by redeeming miles at very generous rates to snag international J seats that were incredibly valuable. Airlines are now deciding, one by one, that with flights going out full and transoceanic J such an important profit center, that we aren't going to get to do that anymore.

This was inevitable, and you will see your other options for doing this close off over time.
Or we'll hit a recession, or have another terror attack hopefully not like 9/11, or another SARS (all of which I lived through as an FF) and the airlines will have a much-depleted loyalty base to help them out. Remember after 9/11 and the 10K award sales?

It's not always blue skies for the industry, though they've been on an unusually long run just as the economic expansion has so far been unusually long. That won't go on forever.

The airlines' real strategy is to behave like a cartel now that they're down to three, and to bet on the government bailing them out again if there's a real black swan event. They've become like the big 3 automakers and big 3 broadcast networks back in the 70s, when both those oligopolies made a lot of bad product and didn't really care. Eventually they were chastened by competition seeping in, but because of the high barriers to entry the process took decades.

Looks like I'll have to burn my 150K or so remaining miles between DL/UA/AA faster than I'd wanted, but I'm most thankful I burned the 2.9M or so before them when I did.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2019 at 9:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
This change is about effectively eliminating the fixed price saver award.
And, there will no longer be waitlisting for I awards.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

So it no longer makes any sense to use award ratios from decades ago which undervalue the current transoceanic J product. FF'ers were claiming, in UA's and DL's opinion, too many transoceanic business class awards as compared to, for instance, free domestic tickets. This change reflects a desire that FF'ers be rewarded with other free flights rather than transoceanic J.
Have cash fares increased, too, with the advent of better J products?

And how did those darn FFers manage to get more seats than UA or DL wanted them to redeem? I doubt there are many anytime J awards filling up the pointy end of the cabin,
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

why bother getting to 1MM then?
So I don't feel compelled to try to make minimum PQM/PQD or credit card spend every year. Just fly United when I want to.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
This change is about effectively eliminating the fixed price saver award.
And, there will no longer be waitlisting for I awards.
While understanding why you might speculate that, we don't know this for a fact -- yet.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
So I don't feel compelled to try to make minimum PQM/PQD or credit card spend every year. Just fly United when I want to.
but lifetime status is based on BIS miles accumulation of UA/UX operated flights; PQM (bonus)/PQD/credit card spend do not factor into lifetime status calculations.

In theory, you can gain MM status without ever attaining elite status along the way - e.g. earn as many UA/UX BIS while spending less than $3K PQD annually.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While understanding why you might speculate that, we don't know this for a fact -- yet.
Right you are--pure speculation on my part. But, I would like to hear a counter-argument on how there could be waitlistable Saver Awards with the program as being announced.

Last edited by 747FC; Apr 14, 2019 at 11:26 pm
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
Right you are--pure speculation on my part. But, I would like to hear a counter
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Right you are--pure speculation on my part. But, I would like to hear a counter-argument on how there could be waitlistable Saver Awards with the program as being announced. .
Not sure the phrase "counter-argument" is the right phrase here.
First, we don't have the full details of UA plan / implementation-- we can speculate, we can use the DL as a model, .... but that's only speculation (maybe informed speculation, but speculation).
Second, if UA plans to continue waitlisting, they could create a process -- much would depend on how the basic plan is structured. Is there the concept of inventory? Will there be caps? or is this a simple X cpm conversion?

A potential implementation for one case -- domestic leg on an international award, could be the waitlist clears for no additional miles if a certain inventory situation exists.

But the real point, to make such a definitive statement before UA releases further information is hasty,
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CApreppie
you could do that now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.