Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just look at the youtube video with 'elmo had 4 ducks'... kinda reminds you on how the 3-5 major airlines and their FFPs move in lock step.

Forget taking UA to the regulator/court/legislature etc. Just like DL pulled this off with Amex, UA & Chase watched this evolution carefully and now took the plunge. Not going to change.
Cute but I was really to something probably before your time which had only 2 ducks in it and I think the label was Fly United or Flying United.....

Last edited by zebranz; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:30 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by weero
Plat also were no longer exempt from paying. I am on and off 1K and Plat and was confronted with the close-in fee for awards when being the lower.
I was a Plat as recent as January 2019, and did not pay for any close-in booking fee.

See here:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by J.Edward
A few years ago I shifted my spend away from co-branded credit cards (e.g. Chase's UA Club Visa) to bank point ones (e.g. Sapphire Reserve, AX Plat) to escape being held hostage to a specific loyalty program and whatever changes they decide to make.

Points earned in UR / MR / etc. remain flexible and carry a par value of sorts. Plus with cheap F fares being what they are, using points to have the bank just buy you the flights you want often cost about the same in terms of points as redeeming an award.

Anyways the takeaway for me is to drop the co-branded financial products in favor of those that earn a point that can be transferred to multiple partners or cashed out.
My United Chase Club Card is up for renewal 6/30/19. Guess what isn't getting renewed?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Repooc17
This maybe the hot news in the aviation community, but for much of the flying public, the devaluation largely non-event. It's not huge issue for DL just like this won't be a huge issue for UA outside of the FT and other similar communities. Within the community, we will keep complain about both programs all the time.
For most economy flyers, that is probably true. But I think it is less true for the premium seats, especially long-haul. There, I think UA downgrading its FFP may have an impact if it causes the product to be less perceived as value for money. I'm guessing UA believes it can sell all its Polaris seats at a premium price due to strong demand. We shall see.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by halls120
My United Chase Club Card is up for renewal 6/30/19. Guess what isn't getting renewed?
Just wrote on my blog about how this might be the most devalued card of all time: https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-car...aluation-time/
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by Artpen100
For most economy flyers, that is probably true. But I think it is less true for the premium seats, especially long-haul. There, I think UA downgrading its FFP may have an impact if it causes the product to be less perceived as value for money. I'm guessing UA believes it can sell all its Polaris seats at a premium price due to strong demand. We shall see.
that is exactly the point. united wants to sell these seats for thanksgiving for cash for example, instead of offering them at 160K miles (hard cap per redemption chart). Whereas at other times, it can be offered at less than current level. i don't see anything wrong with this approach.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
This maybe the hot news in the aviation community, but for much of the flying public, the devaluation largely non-event. It's not huge issue for DL just like this won't be a huge issue for UA outside of the FT and other similar communities. Within the community, we will keep complain about both programs all the time.
Agreed.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
that is exactly the point. united wants to sell these seats for thanksgiving for cash for example, instead of offering them at 160K miles (hard cap per redemption chart). Whereas at other times, it can be offered at less than current level. i don't see anything wrong with this approach.
Then you must be a huge fan of Delta SkyMiles and love to redeem awards with them, correct?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:20 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If AA makes the change, it would affect redemption on AA only. You would still be able to redeem Avios per BA distance-based structure, BA flights or its partners (e.g. AA).
My point was that BA only lets you redeem Avios when AA saver seats are available, and sometimes not even then. Dynamic pricing will eliminate low-mile redemption, especially at the last minute. Therefore I expect it to eliminate Avios redemption for AA at any reasonable value.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
Then you must be a huge fan of Delta SkyMiles and love to redeem awards with them, correct?
I do wish UA would offer a miles+money option. Looking at a flight DEN-PIT in May they have some attractive combos in FC compared to UA being 50K pretty much across the board.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
On a flight now and they're making the credit card sales pitch, which includes the comment, "You'll get 60,000 miles, which is enough for 2 round trip tickets in the Continental US." They may need to modify that comment.....
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
On a flight now and they're making the credit card sales pitch, which includes the comment, "You'll get 60,000 miles, which is enough for 2 round trip tickets in the Continental US." They may need to modify that comment.....
Just add shorthaul and off-peak that should last for another year.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by weero
Just add shorthaul and off-peak that should last for another year.
I've seen short-haul, off-peak offerings from Delta that were on par with a Polaris seat to Asia I could book with United....or at least could book, in the past tense. Add Kirby's hate and thirst for revenge against customers, and I would say a EWR-FLL round trip between Dec-May will likely hover around 70-90,000 miles in coach.

I am now really trying to grasp the most basic value proposition offered by United as opposed to a global partner, or DL/AA/B6 domestically...if their goal was to create an airline whose only real unique selling feature was periodically popping up as the cheapest ticket, or best scheduled option, well it looks like they did it.

In a perfect world, the board would fire Kirby and he could go work for Fedex or UPS where he will finally meet and interact with the "passengers" that will make him the happiest.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:08 am

It is a given that changes to a FF program are NEVER intended for the net benefit of the flier. This has always been the case. The best you can do is work the program to your own best advantage, and be on the lookout for sweet spots. I have always treated miles as currency, and I never spend them unless the exchange rate is at least 2 cents, and preferably 3-4 cents. If I believed my miles were only worth 1.4 cents, as TPG estimates, then I would never bother to pursue them. With UA miles, the best yield has usually been achieved through international biz class redemptions, and most often on partner airlines. For the time being, it does not sound like this has changed. In fact, eliminating the close-in booking fee is a net advantage. With the new changes, there may be some opportunities to score a decent yield on domestic flights, though the 5k awards (if they exist) will probably be on flights with a cash price of $100. If it turns out that I can no longer achieve my target yield on UA, then I agree with those who recommend switching to a cash-back credit card. However, there will still be some value to the bonus miles from new credit cards. The sign-up bonuses for most cash-back cards are meager.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

I don't understand your statement about "People don't expect to use Skymiles.". Are you saying most people don't have enough miles when they see the results of a redemption search? To be fair, SM has good US domestic redemption rates. You can use VS for DL's INTL premium cabin.
Less than 5 years ago I could score a RT J award on DL with a SO and OJ from US to Asia for 120k. Now that’s the OW price and I can’t do a SO. That’s hardly a “non event”.

People that think massive devaluation doesn’t occur need to go back and revisit what was possible only a few years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.