Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bookeew
If the close-in change fee is also waived (in addition to booking), this could *significantly* increase competition for last minute changes, which particularly affects partner airlines that open last minute space, like LH/LX/OS/NH.

This is bad, and United should feel bad.
I suspect they'll price the last minute, especially premium cabin, tickets very high in miles, so the lack of the close-in fee won't make a material difference in terms of competition. If anything I think they'll be less competitive.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, but my assumption was that they would have done that anyway. So, you'd be paying twice -- extra miles plus the close-in booking fee.
The new program is going to be dynamically priced.
Why would they need to charge a close-in fee if the mileage requirement is already pegged to the paid price of a ticket?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Actually, getting rid of the close-in fee will likely prove disastrous, as it did for Delta after they got rid of their close-in fee.
They now charge much more than the close-in fee in the form of extra miles on flights within 3 weeks.

Screenshots of this in practice on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...-mileageminus/
Delta got rid of their close-in booking fee 9 years ago, it was not a change related to the removal of the award calendar. DL has different levels with different advance purchase requirements (as well as levels with roundtrip booking requirements and awards which are only good on certain days of the week). The requirements are all documented in the fare rules for the awards, just as they are for revenue tickets. Have you ever bothered to read them? The advance purchase requirements mean that awards more closely track revenue fares, but there can still be many disparities (there are still many more revenue fares than there are actual award levels). The cheapest roundtrip main cabin revenue fare on DTW-LAX is a $306 VFVNC2MM fare, while the cheapest RT main cabin on CMH-LAX is a $276 VFVQA0ML fare. Meanwhile, the cheapest RT main cabin award on DTW-LAX is 33K miles, while it is only 18K miles for CMH-LAX. Clearly there is no simple price to award conversion.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 7, 2019 at 2:16 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new program is going to be dynamically priced.
Why would they need to charge a close-in fee if the mileage requirement is already pegged to the paid price of a ticket?
Because they can.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'm not seeing any pricing differential in Dec/Jan for YYZ-TLV in businessFirst.

its going to suck, but presumably there still be a few arb opportunities available, but with 100% certainty, the general redemption value is going to go down (probably considerably). I expect that they'll keep things somewhat less obnoxious for now but Delta-style ~<1cpm redemptions are on the way.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by LBJ
DL has different levels with different advance purchase requirements (as well as levels with roundtrip booking requirements and awards which are only good on certain days of the week).
Exactly what UA flyers have to look forward to as MileageMinus become Deltafied. The end of outsized value due to fare rules and requirements (minimum stay requirements, one-way restrictions, etc) added to awards to peg them close to paid fares.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Because they can.
Clearly they don't think they can have it both ways. Or else they would have.
Now if Delta adds back their close-in fees they would be happy to copy that I'm sure.

Originally Posted by entropy
I'm not seeing any pricing differential in Dec/Jan for YYZ-TLV in businessFirst.

its going to suck, but presumably there still be a few arb opportunities available, but with 100% certainty, the general redemption value is going to go down (probably considerably). I expect that they'll keep things somewhat less obnoxious for now but Delta-style ~<1cpm redemptions are on the way.
We're going to be slow-boiled frogs as things are slowly converted over to the Delta Skypesos system. Some values during frequent sales, but far less overall value.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 7, 2019 at 2:57 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm probably late to thread, but peeked on on ANZ awards and seeing a peak-season surcharge where JN is now 260k one way for select December dates. Not surprising, but definitely time to go burn all my miles...
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:05 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I apologize if this has been discussed as I haven't been able to get through all 21 pages (yet). I know partner awards are not affected for now, but how would those be impacted by this dynamic pricing when that happens (perhaps similar to what's happening with UA metal)? I am interested in hearing from those with experience in DL's program since UA will essentially copy what DL does. TIA.

LAX
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
I apologize if this has been discussed as I haven't been able to get through all 21 pages (yet). I know partner awards are not affected for now, but how would those be impacted by this dynamic pricing when that happens (perhaps similar to what's happening with UA metal)? I am interested in hearing from those with experience in DL's program since UA will essentially copy what DL does. TIA.

LAX
DL partner rates fluctuate based on DLs mood that day. No advance notice of partner award rate changes are provided. Devaluations are to be expected and partner award rates will typically, though not always, be lower than DL metal rates.

DL also adds fuel surcharges for awards originating in Europe and on on all routes with select partners.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
I apologize if this has been discussed as I haven't been able to get through all 21 pages (yet). I know partner awards are not affected for now, but how would those be impacted by this dynamic pricing when that happens (perhaps similar to what's happening with UA metal)?
As soon as UA can figure out how to do it, partner awards will also be roughly tied to the ticket price, and, on average, much more expensive than they are now.

There are conflicting reports from the DL regulars who have chimed in on the thread, but it's clear what direction UA is trying to take this. Dynamic pricing for *A awards has already been discussed; when they figure out how to do it, this will be the new normal.

Until then, my advice is the same as it's been for the last several years: don't hoard miles.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I'm probably late to thread, but peeked on on ANZ awards and seeing a peak-season surcharge where JN is now 260k one way for select December dates. Not surprising, but definitely time to go burn all my miles...
There are no JN rates on partner airlines.
UA JN rates are indeed already higher after 11/15.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL partner rates fluctuate based on DLs mood that day. No advance notice of partner award rate changes are provided. Devaluations are to be expected and partner award rates will typically, though not always, be lower than DL metal rates.

DL also adds fuel surcharges for awards originating in Europe and on on all routes with select partners.
No, the partners add fuel surcharges.

DL is actually a great deal in this sense -- they only tack on the fuel surcharge for flights from Europe. This means that you can fly on VS from the US to London workout paying the fuel surcharges. Go try to book that on VS using their miles and see what they charge you (well over $1000 in surcharges each way)

Or, go try to book BA, either using Avios or one of their US-based partners (AA or AS) and see what they charge (about $600 each way)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I know this doesnt always work and UA probably thought this through but what about a campaign over the next few days to send as much negative feedback to United as possible. I just got a survey this morning from them and usually ignore or give an ok review but today I made a point to give a bad rating and mention the new dynamic award pricing as the reason why. On a side note: I would be ok with dynamic pricing with a cap but to have a "sky's the limit" approach where you see $1M awards for flights to Asia in economy (the Delta example someone posted in this thread), is a real punch in the stomach.

Here is the link to providing feedback if anyone is interested:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
We need a thread or a subforum like the Premium fares subforum, to track "deals" on redemptions.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No, the partners add fuel surcharges.

DL is actually a great deal in this sense -- they only tack on the fuel surcharge for flights from Europe. This means that you can fly on VS from the US to London workout paying the fuel surcharges. Go try to book that on VS using their miles and see what they charge you (well over $1000 in surcharges each way)

Or, go try to book BA, either using Avios or one of their US-based partners (AA or AS) and see what they charge (about $600 each way)
Utter rubbish. Ticketing carrier decides when to charge YQ and ticketing carrier gets that revenue.

DL decided to collect YQ on awards that originate in the EU because they can in that market as airlines typically charge YQ on awards. That's why they charge YQ on AF from CDG-JFK-CDG and not from JFK-CDG-JFK because YQ is common in the EU and not in the US. They also don't charge YQ on AF from TLV-CDG-JFK-CDG-TLV because they can't get away with it in that market.

UA currently does not charge YQ on any airline because they decided not to collect it. If you use LH miles for an LH ticket then you will pay hefty YQ, while if you use UA miles for an LH ticket you don't pay any YQ, even if you originate in the EU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.