Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jjangoo
This is pure speculation but I feel like United will keep post-November awards pretty reasonable for a year or so before quietly jacking up prices. Right now they're trying to convince us this isn't such a bad idea.
Very likely you're right. I doubt they want to do anything short term that would cause a mass exodus of their best customers. Better to wait until they've become numb to the poor treatment.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If they are going to do this, I wish they would copy WN

Earn miles at XX per dollar spent

Use miles at XX per dollar of the flight - any flight, any seat pay cash or miles at a predetermined rate

This way i can plan - I left Delta over this same stuff and I will leave UA for the same reason, until I retire, I only care about family vacations - any of the airlines will get me to work and home just fine
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
This is pure speculation but I feel like United will keep post-November awards pretty reasonable for a year or so before quietly jacking up prices. Right now they're trying to convince us this isn't such a bad idea.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
So what's the word on upgrade mileage fees? Sliding scale as well?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Ok, this is really good news for me. It solves a lot of the issues I have been facing for the past year. We are planning on taking our whole family--6 of us on an Alaska cruise in July 2020 to mark a milestone anniversary and I was debating should my wife and I just buy tickets to earn miles or use some of the 300,000plus miles we already have banked. Answer--use as many miles as possible and book it all in August where booking opens. Next issue, is it worth keeping the UA Chase card? No, we can dump that next year when it expires. Costco Visa's cash back is a better deal now. Next up is what to do about making Premier for 2020. We have done a lot of international flying for vacations since retiring a few years ago but this year we have been staying closer to home. So, with this change no really need to push for even Silver. Next up, we have been doing the bi-coastal thing for 6 years now and have been seriously considering selling one of the homes. Add in the new tax "reform" bill to this "Change you are gonna like" and it is time to sell the home in the high tax state and just stay year round in the low tax state. Yea, it is all good for me. Oh, I also don't have to think a second time about doing some crazy flying to make a million BIS miles. I need 140K or so for that and we really did love Hong Kong and Shanghai and were thinking about some more visits there and places in Europe too...but with this change, I have a lot of other options now for airlines. So, thank you Scott Kirby for helping me sort out my future with UA.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
TATL J Anytime awards are displayed as 155k each way.

Are the new prices going to make that price look quaint?
Almost certainly.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
DO NOT touch partner awards!
(I dont think I've ever redeemed on UA metal except for last minute coach awards that would be lots of $$$ in cash - I guess thats gone now though)

Is anyone seeing the dynamic correlation yet in terms of cpm? 1cpm? 0.5cpm?
Don't hold your breath. Partner award devaluation will come as soon as they can figure out the technical and contract challenges.

I doubt it will take that long. People will have forgotten about this by the time summer ends.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Use miles at XX per dollar of the flight - any flight, any seat pay cash or miles at a predetermined rate

This way i can plan - I left Delta over this same stuff and I will leave UA for the same reason, until I retire, I only care about family vacations - any of the airlines will get me to work and home just fine
eh, I don't think it's any more-o-r-less amenable to planning than WN, because it's not like you know what the price for a given WN flight will be, so you don't really know what the redemption rate is, either.

UA's (and DL's) plans are basically the same as WN's, except without publishing the factor they're using.

Originally Posted by nomad420
So what's the word on upgrade mileage fees? Sliding scale as well?
No word, but I doubt they will change them any time soon. They're already tough to clear, so I don't know why they'd bother.

(On the other hand, I might actually be OK with upgrade awards that were much higher than the current values but without the copay).
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Mulatto
I also only keep my Explorer card for the increased award space. IF those awards I'm interested in become devalued significantly, I'll have no use for the cc any longer.
FWIW, I downgraded my Explorer to the free card that gives 1 mile/$2 over a year ago and so far am still seeing the additional coach award space.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
If you're a spontaneous traveller you might score some bargains under this new scheme.

But if you're trying to plan ahead you no longer know how many miles you need for the flights you're after. I can no longer get a simple answer to "where can my 120K miles take me?"

Huge Thumbs Down UA.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Will married segments get removed with this change?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Partner award devaluation will come as soon as they can figure out the technical and contract challenges..
And that would be beyond what Delta did/does
While DL metal awards are a ridiculous amount (870k is normal), I can reliably get YYZ-Asia for 85,000 on a partner award in J
Likewise, YYZ-Europe is 320k on DL metal, and 75k on KLM.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Originally Posted by Halo117
Since you soon won't be searching for a particular award fare class no need to worry. The cost between two "popular" city pairs will simply be more, as it already is for revenue tickets.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
I use the most of my UA miles on UA domestic economy as my CPU rate is 80+ % ....Long story short - all this means for me (I think) is that I will stack up lots of UA rewards flights in advance and cancel the majority close in....
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
eh, I don't think it's any more-o-r-less amenable to planning than WN, because it's not like you know what the price for a given WN flight will be, so you don't really know what the redemption rate is, either.

UA's (and DL's) plans are basically the same as WN's, except without publishing the factor they're using.
Yes, but that is the KEY, if they published a burn rate ie 100 miles per dollar, then like WN, I could just search for flights and when i saw the cash price add 2 zeros and that is the mileage price - but most importantly it would be linear and not exponential. Deltas' is exponential, WN is linear.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Halo117
No.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
And that would be beyond what Delta did/does
I stand by my statement. It is merely a matter of UA figuring out the details.

Originally Posted by ermintrude
I use the most of my UA miles on UA domestic economy as my CPU rate is 80+ % ....Long story short - all this means for me (I think) is that I will stack up lots of UA rewards flights in advance and cancel the majority close in....
...? I'm not sure what you mean by that. The pricing change is effective now, so if you meant you'd get in a bunch of redemptions for next year in November, the ship has sailed. If you mean you'll book space to hold it and then cancel if you're not going to use it -- be careful, as UA will close MileagePlus accounts for behavior they consider abusive. An occasional cancellation is fine, but if you mean something like holding LAX-SFO for six days in a row and then cancelling five of them after you figure out which one you need -- that's a violation of the CoC and can get your account closed.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Yes, but that is the KEY, if they published a burn rate ie 100 miles per dollar, then like WN, I could just search for flights and when i saw the cash price add 2 zeros and that is the mileage price - but most importantly it would be linear and not exponential. Deltas' is exponential, WN is linear.
I mean, I guess. But while WN's factor might be linear, its prices aren't. What you're really doing is saving yourself a search, which is fine, as far as it goes, but I have to feel that a fixed ratio would be even worse than what we have now. At least this gives the possibility of finding a good deal, even if I suspect they'll be fairly uncommon. WN's doesn't.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by firemandan9
Since you soon won't be searching for a particular award fare class no need to worry. The cost between two "popular" city pairs will simply be more, as it already is for revenue tickets.
I don't think this is true. Awards will still book into I international, otherwise Star Partners would have nothing to give their members on United....it's simply how United charges for I awards on its own metal that will have variable pricing....and I assume "standard" awards will stay in a much higher bucket that doesn't apply to alliance members anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.