Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by TA
Another nail to the coffin of any remaining enthusiasm for UAL. New award structure is based purely on financial calculus, so my allegiance to UA will be as well.

Well as others have mentioned its more a nail in the coffin of co branded airline cards. Better to get a costco card and get 3% or 4% back on gas and travel.

All airlines and hotels are devaluing and every year it will get more and more devalued..
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:47 pm

I would say I'll just finish this year out with UA and see how the details work out and then fly on whoever is convenient next year. Problem is, with IAH as my home airport, unless I want to connect somewhere every time I fly I'm stuck with UA. On the bright side, a connection would give me more PQM with whoever I'd be flying with.

I also only keep my Explorer card for the increased award space. IF those awards I'm interested in become devalued significantly, I'll have no use for the cc any longer.

My take-away for now is: wait and see how it rolls out at the end of the year.

Last edited by Mulatto; Apr 5, 2019 at 3:47 pm Reason: clarity
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
You guys/gals are seeing this all wrong:
"... these updates will help you make the most of your miles. "

(from https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html)
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by narvik
You guys/gals are seeing this all wrong:
"... these updates will help you make the most of your miles. "

(from https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html)
If they mean we will be spending more of them faster, then sure. How long until they describe this as an ‘enhancement’ or ‘a change that we’ll like”?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mulatto
Problem is, with IAH as my home airport, unless I want to connect somewhere every time I fly I'm stuck with UA.
That depends on where you're going. At IAH there are 25 carriers not UA/UAX to 50+ destinations non-stop, and a 170-flight-a-day operation by Southwest at HOU.
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So they’ve devalued at least 3 years in a row, haven’t they?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Do I understand this correctly? For example, if I want to fly from the US to Europe in the Summer of 2020, the number of miles required for award travel will be higher because it is considered a “popular time” for travel to Europe?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:13 pm
O62

Originally Posted by zebranz
and what will be the new name of MP? Can't be Set Pesos as that belongs to DL. Another change "we have asked for" for being over entitled. More seats at 280,000 miles one way.... I sure hopes the pendulum swings the other way soon.
Well since a kilometer is shorter than a mile and each point gets you less far than before....KilometersPlus?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
A few years ago I shifted my spend away from co-branded credit cards (e.g. Chase's UA Club Visa) to bank point ones (e.g. Sapphire Reserve, AX Plat) to escape being held hostage to a specific loyalty program and whatever changes they decide to make.

Points earned in UR / MR / etc. remain flexible and carry a par value of sorts. Plus with cheap F fares being what they are, using points to have the bank just buy you the flights you want often cost about the same in terms of points as redeeming an award.

Anyways the takeaway for me is to drop the co-branded financial products in favor of those that earn a point that can be transferred to multiple partners or cashed out.
This is actually the push I needed to dump my Chase Club card. No benefit at all holding that card over the "bank point" ones. Amex Plat here I come!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
Do I understand this correctly? For example, if I want to fly from the US to Europe in the Summer of 2020, the number of miles required for award travel will be higher because it is considered a “popular time” for travel to Europe?
Almost certainly, yes -- especially if you want to fly on the weekends at convenient times. Basically, they'll be priced using the same criteria they price flights for cash.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eajusa
yes, though it likely would have been difficult to find Saver awards for popular travel times anyway. But now you have no idea what it is actually going to cost you until you start looking.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wco81
So they’ve devalued at least 3 years in a row, haven’t they?
they have adopted a “continuous delivery” for “enhancements”.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
TATL J Anytime awards are displayed as 155k each way.

Are the new prices going to make that price look quaint?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
DO NOT touch partner awards!
(I dont think I've ever redeemed on UA metal except for last minute coach awards that would be lots of $$$ in cash - I guess thats gone now though)

Is anyone seeing the dynamic correlation yet in terms of cpm? 1cpm? 0.5cpm?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I'm seeing biz saver for 60k one way on partners next March US - Europe on some flights, 70k on others (same day, route). So a little discount there.
This is pure speculation but I feel like United will keep post-November awards pretty reasonable for a year or so before quietly jacking up prices. Right now they're trying to convince us this isn't such a bad idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.