Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
United Guts UA MileagePlus, program goes from Best to Worst

There, I fixed the thread title for ya.

The end of an era, boys and girls. No reason to play those credit card and points games any longer.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:50 pm

Ugh, this is horrible. Delta Skymiles redemptions stink now (well unless you don't mind flying coach for 10+ hours).

I'll bet AA follows suit soon as well. The "only" good thing about AA is that the credit card bonuses are very churnable. Not so with Delta, although slightly better with UA (well comparatively speaking).

Guess I better learn to fly coach from now on or start getting 2nd and 3rd job to afford cash flights now.

Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Does it affect excuristionist perk?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Welcome to the world of opaqueness that Delta introduced years ago. Ask any delta flyer that has helped drag down the SM program.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
BOO! I was already wavering since I've seen fewer and fewer competitive fare from UA on my common routes, this is enough to push me away from UA and Mileage Plus
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
So are there any benefits of being a premier member with this? If there isn't "saver" space, then the XN benefit is gone, no?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Welcome to the world of opaqueness that Delta introduced years ago. Ask any delta flyer that has helped drag down the SM program.
Delta is the worst in the industry in devaluing its frequent flyer program, which is why I haven't flown Delta for 15 years. It sure makes business sense for the company, but it also steered me away from flying it. I have only used Delta miles (from KE flights) on partner airlines. Intra-Asia flights used to be a sweet spot. I also flew in J across Pacific on China Airlines once.

Now I'm a 1MM, I have started to care less about the UA mileage program. I will fly on whichever airlines that offer the cheapest J class. I foresee myself using up all my remaining miles on partner flights.

Finally, it's a real shame for UA to follow Delta every step of the way, ever since Smisek took the reign. I thought Munos would do better to lead than to follow, but I was apparently wrong.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Anyone know if mile + copay will be changed by this? Can't see anything about it on their update.

This sucks though. Looks like I'm gonna need to burn some miles here before Nov. A damn shame. The best US rewards program to crap. Race to the bottom continues.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
My credit cards with transfers to certain *A programs are looking really good right now.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does this portend Star Alliance moving to dynamic pricing? There was some talk last year, I think, about that possibility.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k
This is terrible news. Man am I glad I booked about 380k worth of flights in saver biz two months ago for Dec'19-Jan'20 travel. This is a huge huge devaluation, I derived most of the value from last minute bookings and intercontinental biz... Makes other *A partners look much better as transfer partners from credit cards. Why would anyone ever get the UA Chase card now?!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jsloan
I guess the close-in award fee elimination is a nice change -- except you'll basically just be paying the close-in fee in extra miles, most likely.

Also, this devalues the United Club credit card, since that also waived the (non-existent after 11/15) fees.
Definitely cancelling in Nov based on this and the Club nerfs that also hit in November...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
why don't you wait and see how the actual pricing plays out? i think you can find saver level business award to FRA at X mile today, you will still be able to find saver level business award to FRA at X mile tomorrow. if you can find 160,000 miles business award to FRA the wed before Thanksgiving, you may see now it costs 260,000 miles, but this doesn't really concern most people, does it? most people here would never spend 160,000 miles for a one-way business class redemption to start with, am i correct?
You're not understanding the way this is going to work.

Dynamic everyday awards, with a cap, were mostly fine. Most people don't book everyday awards, but it's nice to have the option.

A total dynamic award system, with no cap and no chart, will not be fine. It is DL's system, and if you don't think it's bad for the flyer, browse the DL site for a bit. Their program is called SkyPesos for a reason. UA's saver availability has actually been fairly decent, especially in Economy. But if a domestic "saver" award goes to 100K at the times I need to travel, it's not much of an award, is it?

Originally Posted by pbd456
Does it affect excuristionist perk?
No.

Originally Posted by mrmoo
So are there any benefits of being a premier member with this? If there isn't "saver" space, then the XN benefit is gone, no?
For now, they will likely keep X / XN. So, premier members and credit are holders may get a discount on certain flights. Eventually, they will probably discontinue that also.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Im based at a tiny airport so fly DL and UA about 50/50 because of limited flight options. Of all the things UA can learn from DL, dynamic based award program is literally the one thing that that is not a positive change. SkyPesos are garbage, never been able to fin anything leaving here under 40,000 SkyPesos r/t. Any international trip, even economy is hard to find under 100,000, DeltaOne will often run 300,000+ r/t. DL will run flash sales, usually somewhere with a weeks notice leaving on a Wednesday morning that makes it almost impossible for the average person to take advantage of. We'll see how it plays out obviously, but getting MP miles was the only advantage UA has over DL in any regard for my situation
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:35 pm

I'm seeing biz saver for 60k one way on partners next March US - Europe on some flights, 70k on others (same day, route). So a little discount there.

I guess the difference with Delta is they kept the 'saver' award distinction.

Still can't see how this could be good news for Premier members who value premium cabin awards. We've seen what happened at Delta. Started fine then went beyond anything reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.