Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by msg75
Among multiple other reasons this is really going to hit home as I've been saved many times when a last minute emergency comes up and I can grab a "reasonably" priced award flight within 24 hours vs paying an exorbitant walk-up $ fare.
Exactly this.

If the close-in change fee is also waived (in addition to booking), this could *significantly* increase competition for last minute changes, which particularly affects partner airlines that open last minute space, like LH/LX/OS/NH.

This is bad, and United should feel bad.

I reached out to 1K desk and will have corporate reach out to our liaison too.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Let's be real, these situation never result in any advantages to customers. At best you'll be able to find flights at current mileage rates and the vast majority of the time you'll pay way more and sometimes they will be priced through the roof.
why don't you wait and see how the actual pricing plays out? i think you can find saver level business award to FRA at X mile today, you will still be able to find saver level business award to FRA at X mile tomorrow. if you can find 160,000 miles business award to FRA the wed before Thanksgiving, you may see now it costs 260,000 miles, but this doesn't really concern most people, does it? most people here would never spend 160,000 miles for a one-way business class redemption to start with, am i correct?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by bookeew
Exactly this.

If the close-in change fee is also waived (in addition to booking), this could *significantly* increase competition for last minute changes, which particularly affects partner airlines that open last minute space, like LH/LX/OS/NH.

This is bad, and United should feel bad.

I reached out to 1K desk and will have corporate reach out to our liaison too.
this is funny. so letting more members have the same access to the good stuff you have hoarded for yourself is bad? talk about selfish.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Great news! You can now go to Iceland for 20,000 miles! Of course, it'll be on flights on either Dec 25 or Jan 1 ...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I don't think this is as disastrous as some of the bloggers are making out, but it's definitely negative. Need to see this more in action to have a better opinion, really.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by seanp7
I don't think this is as disastrous as some of the bloggers are making out, but it's definitely negative. Need to see this more in action to have a better opinion, really.
We know it has been disastrous for Delta and we know how much United loves copying the worst parts of Delta...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How bad it is depends on how closely they follow DL's lead. Most international premium cabin awards on DL metal are now pricing well over 200k points each way. DL partner awards can still be had at reasonable prices, though it's getting harder.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
United might introduce some variability into saver award (the top end), but that is expected to be small.
that's interesting. any source on this or just a hunch?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by msg75
Among multiple other reasons this is really going to hit home as I've been saved many times when a last minute emergency comes up and I can grab a "reasonably" priced award flight within 24 hours vs paying an exorbitant walk-up $ fare.
Another good use of miles is avoiding inconvenient routing to get good fare. If I fly from EWR to CLE, I've redeemed for saver awards on non-stop vs paying the usurious non-stop fare or routing thru ORD to get good fare. If redemption mileage is tied somewhat to non-stop fare, that kills that.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Will "dynamic" tie to fares or fill? Or will the "dynamic" be dynamic based on routing? I ask this because there's a disconnect between the two on routes UA thinks it can soak business travelers.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
this is funny. so letting more members have the same access to the good stuff you have hoarded for yourself is bad? talk about selfish.
I don't understand how this is funny?

Yes, having more members access a limited resources (= seats) at the same cost (= $0) is pretty clearly bad for anyone in my position, it's basic economics.

Sure, it's selfish to some degree, but the (arbitrary) fee as a gate keeper is also a reward for loyalty that is a very real benefit for Platinum and up. The suggested changes introduce competition by regular members (possibly non-status members who might have gotten their miles from a credit card bonus only) for their most loyal customers. These regular members may have not have paid the additional $75+ to change a flight before, but now that no cost is associated with it, what prevents them from booking it and competing with me?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:38 pm

Official email just arrived: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
(clicky click click on the keyboard as I burn all my UA miles)

Ah well, UD 747 on TG in J for a daytime flight will be just fine.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jsloan
They'll decrease the award costs at times when cash fares would also be low.
Why would anyone invest / put stock in a currency whose value is secret but constantly shifting, at the sole discretion of the currency managers? Would you trade dollars for Euro or yen if you did not know how much spending power you were getting until you tried to buy something? I gave up DL SkyMiles over this.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Let's be real, these situation never result in any advantages to customers.
As Tom Waits said, the large print giveth and the small print taketh away. Don't be fooled by a smattering of 5k short-hop awards. The real utility of the program is taking a top-to-bottom kick in the teeth. Most people are better off collecting CC-issuer points with broad (and more stable) redemption options.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by EWR764
Overall... this cannot possibly be a good thing.
It hasn't worked out for Delta Skypesos users. We do have an FT member who figures out what the lowest prices are based on fare filings and no surprise it keeps going up. We're now at 105k oneway TATL business class as the lowest. I've seen triple that.

Chase should probably be upset because it will diminish the ability to advertise "X free CONUS flights with new enrollment" on MP cards.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:44 pm

Well I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna stop hoarding UA and starting amassing the VZ bolivar. Might be better value there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.