Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)

Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 12, 19, 7:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: GrayAnderson
Wiki Link

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html
Print Wikipost

Old May 23, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
IAD to PPT in Jan 2020 - Economy 1-way awards running at 80K one way with just one day in January showing a saver award at 35K.
Old May 23, 19, 6:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
IAD to PPT in Jan 2020 - Economy 1-way awards running at 80K one way with just one day in January showing a saver award at 35K.
That route and timing could be the poster child for dynamic pricing........ East Coast of the U.S. in January going to the South Pacific.
Old May 23, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
That route and timing could be the poster child for dynamic pricing........ East Coast of the U.S. in January going to the South Pacific.
Poster child would be EWR-CPT 125K vs 40K, no?
Old May 24, 19, 12:03 am

I have not been paying much attention to this thread since this was announced. Just from some random checks - even for domestic flights before 11/15 - it seems my miles are worth A LOT less. I think 50% or more!

It is a big loss for those of us who travel a lot and have a lot of miles accumulated. However, I actually feel worse for the casual travellers who would take years to build the miles for a dream vacation and now find them useless.

I know with the reduced competition and good economy, it is the way it is. However, it seems they have over-done it. Why would people go through all the trouble to accumulate miles when they don't know where the goal post is?
BearX220 and Kannai like this.
Old May 24, 19, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by username View Post
I have not been paying much attention to this thread since this was announced. Just from some random checks - even for domestic flights before 11/15 - it seems my miles are worth A LOT less. I think 50% or more!
There have been no changes to anything before 11/15. What you're seeing there is just the capped, Everyday awards -- which, admittedly, aren't usually a great deal. But, I think we all expect them to get even worse than that post-11/15.

It is a big loss for those of us who travel a lot and have a lot of miles accumulated. However, I actually feel worse for the casual travellers who would take years to build the miles for a dream vacation and now find them useless.
I agree on both counts. I'm going to be negatively affected, but I'm not surprised. I feel worse for people who think they've been saving for something and are going to be stunned to find what their miles actually buy.

Why would people go through all the trouble to accumulate miles when they don't know where the goal post is?
HL Mencken? Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public?

MileagePlus miles, like SkyPesos, feel like fools' gold to me at this point. I'll still collect them when it makes sense -- e.g., MileagePlus X, which is essentially effortless -- but I'm not going to go out of my way to gather them.

For me, personally, the aspirational value is a big deal -- I've used miles for things, like LH F, that I'd likely never pay for. The closer MP moves to a pure cash rebate play, the less exciting it is, as I, personally, am willing to sacrifice schedule and convenience for this type of experience.
narvik likes this.
Old May 24, 19, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know with the reduced competition and good economy, it is the way it is. However, it seems they have over-done it. Why would people go through all the trouble to accumulate miles when they don't know where the goal post is?
This is exactly why I've dumped my UA branded Chase card and switched to Chase Sapphire.
Old May 24, 19, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
For me, personally, the aspirational value is a big deal -- I've used miles for things, like LH F, that I'd likely never pay for. The closer MP moves to a pure cash rebate play, the less exciting it is, as I, personally, am willing to sacrifice schedule and convenience for this type of experience.
Ditto. Literally dozens of trips in Y/C/F domestic/international TATL/TPAC/Mexico/Hawaii over the past 3 decades. Short notice (funerals) long notice (family vacations) and everything in between. But if miles are now worth <2 cents we will simply use 2%+ cash rebate cards and try to credit BIS miles to programs like AS until they destroy the value too.

My family will be unhappy as they will be sitting in E- more often on non-UA planes. But no need to favor UA anymore (except when nonstop routing is competitively priced) as the value proposition has disappeared. We will also save some time/money by eliminating domestic positioning flights for awards and can be more efficient with vacation traveling by paying cash to fly on weekends instead of S/M/T/W which are sometimes the only days when saver space is available.

Expect we will see a lot of interest now in threads like "Which *A program should I credit miles from my UA flights?"
jsloan and narvik like this.
Old May 24, 19, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I used to do WN a lot. When they switched to RR 2.0 and the "elevation?" seats, I stopped flying WN mostly. It took the fun out when it became a rebate program.

I have done a few mileage runs the last few years to maintain status but have not gone out of my way to earn RDM. So, my logic is that I would have earned most of those miles anyway so don't feel too bad.

So, it seems it is going to be the high value flyers + lots of basic economy buyers that UA has chosen to deal with? Is gutting the FFP a smart thing to do?

I am sure it is not done yet and wonder what's next - probably some added benefits for some statuses followed by even more difficult qualification
Old May 24, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
This is exactly why I've dumped my UA branded Chase card and switched to Chase Sapphire.
Yes, Just yesterday I got my approval for a simple 2% Fidelity rewards card. This is after what must be 3 decades of using the original Chase M+ card. It's not worth the $60 annual fee with the devaluation.

Upthread, the comments about domestic award prices in January... I was shocked last Christmas season when I saw similar on AA, and felt smug that I could get any domestic RT for 62.5K, which was itself a very steep devaluation from 50K a year earlier.

Game over.
Old May 26, 19, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
And so the increase in mileage rates begins.

Old May 26, 19, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
And so the increase in mileage rates begins.

Definitely a worrying trend. Almost zero value in international business class on UA metal. Hopefully partner award pricing stays the same? I'm not holding my breath though.
Old May 26, 19, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by VWang1111 View Post
Definitely a worrying trend. Almost zero value in international business class on UA metal. Hopefully partner award pricing stays the same? I'm not holding my breath though.
We (2 of us) had a trip to OZ planned for October 2020 that we won't be able to afford if we can't use miles for the plane tickets, but do to unforseen circumstances at school (Graduation changed to DEC 2020), the trip might get pushed back to even October 2021. While this does give us another year for us to rack another 100k miles, I dread what will happen to mileage rates within the next 2.5 years.

Given that our trip will be dates specific due to the needs of the kiddos and activities / intra-AU flights being 3X weekly, we might have to use the standard awards to/from EWR. While we currently have 760,000, just shy of the 800,000 needed for 2 standard J tickets, I'm hoping we can keep up with the inflation rates.

Disclaimer: I know the standard rates aren't always the best bang for your mile, but this seems like the only way we'll be able to get to/from AU in J. The only partner awards I see involve a mixed cabin with a transfer to CA at PEK. Also, we don't fly often and won't have many opportunities to use our miles before they devalue again.
Old May 27, 19, 5:16 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, PC Ambassador Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Marriot/SPG Gold, TK Gold
Interestingly enough the dynamic pricing is not always tied directly to the price.

I need a positioning flight WAS-ORD. All the none shop flights are priced exactly the same (low $200). One of the flights shows 10K in economy, all the rest 21K.

AA prices the none stop flights exactly the same dollar wise. All the flights are available for 7.5K on AA.

I would prefer UA flight so I can interline my bags to my containing * flight but with that price I just probably take AA and recheck my bags.
Old May 27, 19, 6:46 am

Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
I burned most of my UA miles and shifted most business to Alaska. I'm at the former United Club at JFK now. Alaska really spruced the place up.

I don't understand what the airlines are driving for. If I can't get the outsized vlaue that made airline programs attractive I'll just get cash back or a bank points. It will be interesting to see how an updated Chase deal shakes out. Kirby keeps saying they have a bad deal.
Old May 27, 19, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
I burned most of my UA miles and shifted most business to Alaska. I'm at the former United Club at JFK now. Alaska really spruced the place up.

I don't understand what the airlines are driving for. If I can't get the outsized vlaue that made airline programs attractive I'll just get cash back or a bank points. It will be interesting to see how an updated Chase deal shakes out. Kirby keeps saying they have a bad deal.
What if United offered E+ access to Chase card members? Would you keep the card then? I think UA could offer other perks/incentives besides miles to have us keep their card.

Search this Thread