Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)

Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 12, 19, 7:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: GrayAnderson
Wiki Link

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, weíll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than whatís currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and youíll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if youíre traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, weíre removing close-in fees, so you wonít be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than whatís currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than whatís listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if youíre traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premierģ status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 15, 19, 7:58 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
1. OZ is not bankrupt- itís parent Kuhmo is in trouble due to bad merger with Daewood engineering/ construction.

...And let's not forget CoUnihound declared bankruptcy how many times? It's a small miracle they still acknowledged lifetime status once they emerged from it!

Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
2. I can say BR, OZ, NH are much better than MP.
For what? If you fly UA regularly and purchase the lowest K fares or fly Economy Basic as I do, then having the UA benefits like E+ seating, 3 checked bags, CPUs, etc. are worth it. If you fly the lowest fare EuroWings flights within Europe and back to North America, UA and NH are good because they'll grant you LH lounge access, something BR and OZ don't offer. In terms of accruing status every year, as it stands, UA is the better program. I can hit UA Gold with a $2K in spend across a couple K fare TPACs. Heck if I was really keen I could probably qualify for 1K for around $3K in spend across UA and * partners.

On the other hand, if you don't purchase the lowest K fares and strictly care about the *Gold status, what you are saying is correct. OZ will give you Lifetime Gold with 500,000 miles across all * partners, not just OZ. That's a huge discount for lifetime status! You can also get up to 4 years of *Gold with them if you play your cards right (i.e. hit 50,000 at the beginning of your programme year). Let's also not count out A3 which has significantly reduced re-qualifying criteria.
The key thing people miss is that there's a big difference between accruing miles and accruing status. The former can is typically accomplished with credit cards and can be transferred to whichever airline you prefer. The latter is accomplished when you are actually forced to pay out of pocket for a fare you want and the decision where to credit to should be based primarily on which program is the easiest to hit status. Hence, I accrue status to UA but accrue miles to Aeroplan, BA, AE Travel, etc. Sometimes I'll combine miles and status to get what I want. Case in point I flew LAX to DTW on UA using Aeroplan points collected, but applied my MilagePlus status to the ticket after booking to get my E+ seating, lounge access and CPU which cleared for the IAD > DTW segment.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 15, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
...And let's not forget CoUnihound declared bankruptcy how many times? It's a small miracle they still acknowledged lifetime status once they emerged from it!

For what? If you fly UA regularly and purchase the lowest K fares or fly Economy Basic as I do, then having the UA benefits like E+ seating, 3 checked bags, CPUs, etc. are worth it. If you fly the lowest fare EuroWings flights within Europe and back to North America, UA and NH are good because they'll grant you LH lounge access, something BR and OZ don't offer. In terms of accruing status every year, as it stands, UA is the better program. I can hit UA Gold with a $2K in spend across a couple K fare TPACs. Heck if I was really keen I could probably qualify for 1K for around $3K in spend across UA and * partners.

On the other hand, if you don't purchase the lowest K fares and strictly care about the *Gold status, what you are saying is correct. OZ will give you Lifetime Gold with 500,000 miles across all * partners, not just OZ. That's a huge discount for lifetime status! You can also get up to 4 years of *Gold with them if you play your cards right (i.e. hit 50,000 at the beginning of your programme year). Let's also not count out A3 which has significantly reduced re-qualifying criteria.
The key thing people miss is that there's a big difference between accruing miles and accruing status. The former can is typically accomplished with credit cards and can be transferred to whichever airline you prefer. The latter is accomplished when you are actually forced to pay out of pocket for a fare you want and the decision where to credit to should be based primarily on which program is the easiest to hit status. Hence, I accrue status to UA but accrue miles to Aeroplan, BA, AE Travel, etc. Sometimes I'll combine miles and status to get what I want. Case in point I flew LAX to DTW on UA using Aeroplan points collected, but applied my MilagePlus status to the ticket after booking to get my E+ seating, lounge access and CPU which cleared for the IAD > DTW segment.

Safe Travels,

James
1. I fly in J per company policy. I personally found UA product offering pathetic at best.

2. BR give you 2 year gold status after 50,000 miles where UA gives you only one.

3. BR also give you LH lounge access once you hit gold.

4. Unless you are based overseas- $2k wonít get you gold. Itís $6k PQD. For 1k care to check?

So why would I want to spend money on worse experience, in exchange for mileage pesos, GPU/RPU that never clears.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I doubt this. Limited saver availabity already means that most of the seats affected by this will be seats that are already set at standard award levels. So no 12k seats.

This is really about (1) increasing the cost of STANDARD awards in peak times and on peak routes, and (2) making it extremely difficult to fly transoceanic J for free.
You will end up surprised. We already know Kirby takes every customer-negative move by Delta, dreams up a way to make it worse and more punishing towards customers, then implements it at United.

Delta no longer offers anything resembling "saver" awards unless you're flying between two points they never sell out on Saturday at midnight and you *might* be able to snag a decent deal. Pretty much anything remotely desirable is now at least 5x higher, with many options 10x higher or more. Any aspirational destinations are going to be priced way out of reach unless you are planning on liquidating your 500K account to fly a family of 4 from LA to HNL in coach off-peak.
cesco.g and Boraxo like this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
This seems like the relevant thread for this, but my search parameters didn't turn up any wiki or reference:

Like many others in this thread - I'm likely going to can my Chase United Club card before my renewal later this year and move to a card that's program agnostic. That said, I'm still likely going to be flying United given my travel patterns so what I'd like to do is credit PQM/PQD to United, but credit RDM to another *A program like NH or SQ. Is that even doable? If yes, what do I need to do?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper View Post
what I'd like to do is credit PQM/PQD to United, but credit RDM to another *A program like NH or SQ. Is that even doable? If yes, what do I need to do?
No, you can't split PQM and RDM credit like that.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
And, there will no longer be waitlisting for I awards.
While we do not know for sure, I think there's a very strong likelihood this is correct. Don't see how it works with variable award prices.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
No, you can't split PQM and RDM credit like that.
Figured. So, let's assume I credit everything to a different *A program on which I have no current status - I'm guessing there's no way to concurrently enjoy 1K benefits while flying UA? I'd love to hear everyone's strategies around this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
You will end up surprised. We already know Kirby takes every customer-negative move by Delta, dreams up a way to make it worse and more punishing towards customers, then implements it at United.

Delta no longer offers anything resembling "saver" awards unless you're flying between two points they never sell out on Saturday at midnight and you *might* be able to snag a decent deal. Pretty much anything remotely desirable is now at least 5x higher, with many options 10x higher or more. Any aspirational destinations are going to be priced way out of reach unless you are planning on liquidating your 500K account to fly a family of 4 from LA to HNL in coach off-peak.
delta redemption is a joke.

i had to fly to Singapore late last year from SFO- sea- nrt- sin in J.

I got about 34k miles and canít even get a free one day ticket to Detroit from SJC.
Old Apr 15, 19, 10:20 am

I think this summarizes your comments :

That's the big unknown with this change. Looking ahead at the travel calendar I've only seen a couple of minor changes upwards for miles required to redeem. It will be interesting to see whether UA makes enhancements to the number of miles required to fly and when those enhancements will be made. That being said, none of these changes have an impact on the number of Aeroplan miles required to redeem a UA award flight and IMHO was the better UA reward program since it allowed up to 2 stopovers on international routes. My theory is UA only lets one shoe drop every year.

Like many others in this thread - I'm likely going to can my Chase United Club card before my renewal later this year and move to a card that's program agnostic. That said, I'm still likely going to be flying United given my travel patterns so what I'd like to do is credit PQM/PQD to United, but credit RDM to another *A program like NH or SQ. Is that even doable? If yes, what do I need to do?
Given the enhancements to United Club access combined with the reward redemptions, why would anyone want to sign up for that card nowadays? Aside from heavy UA loyalist who have a sadistic need to access UCs whilst travelling domestically I really don't see the point anymore!

Safe Travels,

James
ctownflyer likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post

Have cash fares increased, too, with the advent of better J products?

And how did those darn FFers manage to get more seats than UA or DL wanted them to redeem? I doubt there are many anytime J awards filling up the pointy end of the cabin,
1. Cash fares aren't increasing, but the number of people paying them is. That's why transoceanic J cabins are expanding and additional routes are being chosen where demand for J is high.

2. This is about standard awards as well as savers. They can charge as much as a million miles for a J seat.
Old Apr 15, 19, 12:21 pm

1. Cash fares aren't increasing, but the number of people paying them is. That's why transoceanic J cabins are expanding and additional routes are being chosen where demand for J is high.
This may in part be due to UA seeing that light and realizing the market for Polaris F is limited when the difference between F and J is the selection of wine and soup! Hence why they have removed Polaris F from most cabins and have replaced it with a ton more J space. I cannot comment on how full Polaris J was back when Polaris F existed but I suspect those additional J seats have made premium passengers travelling OPM happy since they it's a P fare is a much easier sell than, say, an F fare! I suspect UA would prefer selling 48 J seats and 0 F seats versus 28 J seats and 2 F seats!

-James
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
But you seem to be arguing that the improvements in the product required an increase in price. I donít see why that would only apply to award seats.

2. This is about standard awards as well as savers. They can charge as much as a million miles for a J seat.
Why stop there... a billion miles is just as rational and will sell just as few. Again, I donít believe there is a big market even at todayís rates for standard J awards. I havenít done the math, but I canít imagine that even miles acquired via manufactured spend would see enough value for people to go down that route.
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post

Given the enhancements to United Club access combined with the reward redemptions, why would anyone want to sign up for that card nowadays? Aside from heavy UA loyalist who have a sadistic need to access UCs whilst travelling domestically I really don't see the point anymore!

Safe Travels,

James
I spend a lot of time in UCs domestically, so I actually do get value from being able to get in. Is it worth $495/60,000 miles per year? I'm not sure. The club card was killing two birds for me as I got the membership and miles. Now that the miles have been devalued, I'm trying to figure out how to optimize UC access/a better card without doubling my cash outlay. Easiest solution is Amex platnium/Chase Sapphire Reserve and just burning UA miles on the UC membership.
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post

But you seem to be arguing that the improvements in the product required an increase in price. I donít see why that would only apply to award seats.

Why stop there... a billion miles is just as rational and will sell just as few. Again, I donít believe there is a big market even at todayís rates for standard J awards. I havenít done the math, but I canít imagine that even miles acquired via manufactured spend would see enough value for people to go down that route.
The profit margin on a filled for cash J seat is enormous. So the airlines are making bank by increasing J capacity even if they don't increase the price.
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:44 pm

I spend a lot of time in UCs domestically, so I actually do get value from being able to get in. Is it worth $495/60,000 miles per year? I'm not sure. The club card was killing two birds for me as I got the membership and miles. Now that the miles have been devalued, I'm trying to figure out how to optimize UC access/a better card without doubling my cash outlay. Easiest solution is Amex platnium/Chase Sapphire Reserve and just burning UA miles on the UC membership.
I suppose a lot of it depends on whom you travel with. If you're strictly loyal to UA then ya the UC membership makes a lot of sense. However, I know several people, one of whom is a GS who don't always have the luxury to fly on UA depending on where they're heading and schedules. Having lounges you can actually use all the time really means a lot to them. However, given the recent development of airlines shuttering their lounges to flyers not flying their airline/alliance and the removal of airline lounges from programmes like Priority Pass (i.e. AC MLL) it's getting harder and harder to find a lounge one can use whilst travelling domestically.

The profit margin on a filled for cash J seat is enormous. So the airlines are making bank by increasing J capacity even if they don't increase the price.
On the other hand upgrades and J awards can help boost the airlines profit on J seats. If the flight had 10 empty J seats a few days prior to departure, they would be forced to open up availability on P fares and keep the prices low. However, if they could fill, say, half of them with elite and influencers, it'll be easier for them to close out the P fares keeping only say C and D fares open which earn them the bulk of the profits I suspect.

Safe Travels,

James

Search this Thread