Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2019]

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 9, 19, 2:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 4, 19, 3:35 pm
RNE
Original Poster

In 2018, I reached United's miles-buying limit by taking advantage of their periodic bonus-miles buying promotions (which pushed the price-per-mile below 2 cents). Now it's 2019 and I want to buy more, but I haven't seen any such promotions. Yes, I know I can buy miles off bookings, but I'm not generating any at sub 2-cent prices. And, anyway, have there been no promotions this year or did I miss it/them?
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG/Mar Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
The latest one just ended last week. It was around a 70% bonus with a max of 70,000 bonus miles, so buying 100,000 would net you 170,000. I donít think thatís sub 2 cents though.
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I don't understand why airlines and hotels need to have a promotion to fill already full airplanes... I don't give discounts or promotions for my clients just because it's whatever time of year.
Old Apr 5, 19, 9:08 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MTan View Post
The latest one just ended last week. It was around a 70% bonus with a max of 70,000 bonus miles, so buying 100,000 would net you 170,000. I donít think thatís sub 2 cents though.
Sometimes the 2-miles-per-dollar earned by paying for the miles purchase with a United credit card tips the cost below 2 cents. But it's iffy. Anyway, how did I miss that promo?! Was it targeted? Was it e-mailed? Was it on the deals page? Was it on United's social media? Did TPG and others of his ilk mention it?

RNE, quipping that it wasn't like I wasn't looking for a promo!
Old Apr 5, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
I don't understand why airlines and hotels need to have a promotion to fill already full airplanes... I don't give discounts or promotions for my clients just because it's whatever time of year.
Because airlines make money selling the miles.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 1:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Earn up to 100% bonus miles. Four days only.
For four days only, receive up to 100% bonus miles when you buy miles. Plus, we've lifted your miles purchase limit — so you can now buy up to 175,000 miles per year.

Purchase miles now and receive up to 100% bonus miles for your next trip. Hurry, this offer ends April 12, 2019.

Buy 5,000 - 19,000 miles | Get 25% bonus miles
Buy 20,000 - 49,000 miles | Get 50% bonus miles
Buy 50,000+ miles | Get 100% bonus miles
  • Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT on April 12, 2019.
  • Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 87,500 miles.
  • Bonuses will be calculated on a per transaction basis only. The bonus amount applicable to a transaction is shown in the chart. Transactions may not be aggregated to calculate the bonus.
  • Bonus Miles will generally be credited to the recipient’s MileagePlus account when the transaction is complete; provided that certain transactions may take up to 48 hours.
  • Bonus miles count towards the 175,000 mile annual limit per account.
  • Purchase up to 175,000 miles per account per calendar year.
  • Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
  • Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change.
  • Pricing is only available for purchases made through buymiles.mileageplus.com
  • Miles are nonrefundable.
  • Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premierģ status.
  • All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
  • GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents.
  • Powered by Points to purchase United MileagePlus miles. Transaction will appear as 'Points United Miles'.
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:04 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Thank you. I purchased the full 175k at 1.88Ę/mile. A bargain. ^
Old Apr 12, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: SWA A-list/UA Silver-tier match
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Thank you. I purchased the full 175k at 1.88Ę/mile. A bargain. ^
Does this purchase count for 2x on any of the United Chase CC's?
Old Apr 12, 19, 11:09 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SwaBiz View Post
Does this purchase count for 2x on any of the United Chase CC's?
In the past, such purchases have coded as being from United Airlines. I assume (hope) it will again. However, I chose to use my Sapphire Reserve card to make the purchase. I'd rather have 3 URs than 2 UA miles.
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:25 pm

buying miles

United sent me an offer to buy miles. I can purchase 94k and get 79.9k miles bonus for $3536.75 which includes a tax recovery fee of $246.75 whatever that is.

My main person spend CC is United Explorer card. We travel 4-7x/year round trip. Sometimes (like this upcoming trip) it's cheaper to fly Southwest - we live in Chicago so we have 2 commercial airports.

I'm worried that these will be devalued or not worth it somehow. If these are valued at a penny a mile it would be about $1739, correct?
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Welcome to FT!
Originally Posted by ndizz77 View Post
United sent me an offer to buy miles. I can purchase 94k and get 79.9k miles bonus for $3536.75 which includes a tax recovery fee of $246.75 whatever that is. ...
Federal Excised tax 7.5% on airfare

Originally Posted by ndizz77 View Post
My main person spend CC is United Explorer card. We travel 4-7x/year round trip. Sometimes (like this upcoming trip) it's cheaper to fly Southwest - we live in Chicago so we have 2 commercial airports.
I'm worried that these will be devalued or not worth it somehow. If these are valued at a penny a mile it would be about $1739, correct?
Presently there is not a direct relation of miles to fares. This could possibly change in the future with the Nov 2019 changes, but no one knows for sure.

The first "rule" of mileage buying is don't buy to collect for potential future use, buy because you have an immediate need where you know what value you will receive.

As an aside, miles earned via a Chase MP card do carry a penny per mile statement credit for UA flight purchases. But historically miles have been considered worth at least 1.5 cpm for an award (and higher for premium awards)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 19 at 2:47 pm
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:22 pm

OK thank you for the response. I will not load up and drop $3.5k on them. It's so hard for me to get a guage on what is a good deal or not
Old May 8, 19, 10:08 am

How long after do you buy the miles do they post? Last year, I tried to buy miles on hubby's account 65K plus 65K bonus. The miles never posted and we got an email----

"We’re sorry, but your recent MileagePlus transaction could not be completed. The transaction has been cancelled, and any charges made to your credit card will be refunded. Please try your transaction again or contact customer service."

There was no problem at all with our credit card, he rarely if ever purchased miles before, he's a 1K Million Miler, no fraudulent mileage shenanigans etc. Customer Service never responded to my inquiry.

Yesterday, I tried to buy miles on my own account; 30K plus 25K bonus. I got a receipt, but no miles have posted. I know they state it could take perhaps 48 hours, but I'm wondering if we will be cancelled this time as well. I'm baffled. The transaction is pending on our credit card; plenty of credit available.

Has anyone else had their transaction cancelled or take a long time?
Old May 8, 19, 4:55 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE View Post
In the past, such purchases have coded as being from United Airlines. I assume (hope) it will again. However, I chose to use my Sapphire Reserve card to make the purchase. I'd rather have 3 URs than 2 UA miles.
The charge did NOT code as a travel purchase. Thus, no 3x bonus.

Originally Posted by luv2go View Post
How long after do you buy the miles do they post?
Took me about 1 minute to check my balance after purchasing miles. They had posted by then.
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Buy miles $0.019 for one day only - 9 Sept 2019

I couldn't seem to find the "buy miles" thread, so I hope someone can move this there:

Email offer that takes you to this page:

For one day only, get up to 100% bonus miles when you buy miles.
Buy 5,000 - 19,000 miles Get 25% bonus miles
Buy 20,000 - 49,000 miles Get 50% bonus miles
Buy 50,000 - 87,500 miles Get 100% bonus miles

$1881 for 100,000 miles. It looks like they're trying to squeeze out some more sales before the big devaluation.
narvik and RNE like this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Sep 9, 19 at 11:05 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: