Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GA covered BP reader with her hand and looked up my name for preboarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA covered BP reader with her hand and looked up my name for preboarding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davie355
GA should be reprimanded. This is an extremely unprofessional manner of enforcing boarding order.
Can you suggest some other way?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can you suggest some other way?
How about the way every other GA does it?
If an ineligible BP is scanned, say politely that their group hasn’t been called yet.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:45 am
Suspended

The scanner doesn’t distinguish boarding groups.
RooseveltL and MSYtoJFKagain like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I don't believe the GA has done nothing wrong. Instead, the GA was a necessary devil.

FWIW - regardless, there are always someone who don't give a damn about policies and rules. So when the GA verified the boarding priority, it is something I would like to see.

(Also - this is why I use paper BP for that purpose - So the GA will know I am a 1K.)
cosflyer, RooseveltL and am1108 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:54 am
Suspended

It's not the well-mannered way to do it, but I agree there are always chancers out there.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Interestingly on a recent flight the GA called each 1K member by name to preboard. I think it was alphabetical.
Works at smaller airports but @ EWR, SFO or ORD that would take forever and cause even more congestion especially if passenger Slausberg is front of the queue with his family in tow blocking allowable space.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:36 am
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
To the extent that a FC passenger shouldn't have to put his/her carry-on 7 deep into Economy, I agree with him. GS/1K shouldn't be taking up FC bins when they're sitting in Economy anymore than non-status passengers. It's easy for FC bins to get completely filled by FC passengers on a 145 or 200 but barring those aircraft, 7 rows deep into Economy is ridiculous for a paid FC passenger's carryons.
I’ve been on many flights where the flight attendants fill up the first two bins with their own gear. This forces the passengers in row 1 to store their bags in rows 2 and 3, and the problem snowballs rather quickly.
Boofer and BeanTownBoy like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Pointlessly_1K

I’ve been on many flights where the flight attendants fill up the first two bins with their own gear. This forces the passengers in row 1 to store their bags in rows 2 and 3, and the problem snowballs rather quickly.
THIS!!! As a GS, I'm often the first or second on the plane, and VERY often rows 1&2 are completely full of crew bags by the time I get on. This is true of everything from ERJ-175s through 777s. As someone who prefers sitting in row 1, I OFTEN am storing my bags over row 3 due to crew using the prime spaces.
Boofer, BeanTownBoy and chavala like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
...that a FC passenger had to put his bag 7 rows deep into Economy
Made the mistake of flying United after this boarding decision was made, and had to park my bag several (not 7) rows into economy on the E170 jet. Not pleasant, won't do that again until they change the process. F ticket shouldn't have to deal with that...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by simmang
While it is an eye-roller to see someone try to sneak onto the plane sooner than they're allowed, it is pretty bad when a paying FC passenger is not able to find space for a bag in FC. I find that American is way better at helping FC passengers find space in the bin. Very rarely do I find UA flight attendants doing that.
I agree with you though I had a very pleasant experience not all that long ago. I was a late connect onto what I recall to be an A320, maybe even after Group 5s were called. My seat was in row 1 and I was expecting to have a problem with my rollaboard. Not so! The FA up front had blocked a space in one of the F overheard bins in anticipation of that last remaining F passenger coming on board and needing to store a bag. I thanked him for being so kind to do that.
JetBunny and Boofer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by davie355
GA should be reprimanded. This is an extremely unprofessional manner of enforcing boarding order.
It definitely got a raised eyebrow out of me and the guy behind me. But for the record, it wasn't some big dramatic show for everyone in the gate area to see and hear, so it didn't come across as extremely unprofessional. I'm sure the GA was just trying to do her best to enforce the boarding procedure.

Originally Posted by Miggles
I had the same happen to me a couple of months ago there at gate C28, so I think there is one cranky GA there who prefers to cover the scanner and manually check the list of 1K names.

There you go...this was C31

Originally Posted by indiagenie
ha! I was mostly likely the 1K guy right behind you! It was a rather brusque "last name?" for me which was then verified by the GA on the screen before I was granted the privilege of scanning my BP. I didnt really mind this but it did feel a but crude. A software solution does seem better but hey full marks for initiative because JAX TO EWR often boards all preboarding groups together if the flight is delayed for any reason.

P.S. I wasn't wearing cologne.
Funny! I should have introduced myself with my FT handle.

Originally Posted by Pointlessly_1K

Originally Posted by LordHamster
THIS!!! As a GS, I'm often the first or second on the plane, and VERY often rows 1&2 are completely full of crew bags by the time I get on. This is true of everything from ERJ-175s through 777s. As someone who prefers sitting in row 1, I OFTEN am storing my bags over row 3 due to crew using the prime spaces.
I'll add my voice to this one. Very irritating. Especially when you consider that the FAs are going to be the last ones off the plane.

In addition, I believe it's the 319 - the first bin on the right is filled with emergency gear and the first small bin on the left is sometimes reserved for safety demo gear and other supplies.

Originally Posted by garykung
(Also - this is why I use paper BP for that purpose - So the GA will know I am a 1K.)
Perhaps instead of brag tags and baggage handle wraps, UA should give out 1K face tattoos!

Last edited by J.Edward; Apr 5, 2019 at 7:48 am Reason: please don't forget to use the multi-quote function when responding to multiple posts
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Boofer
Perhaps instead of brag tags and baggage handle wraps, UA should give out 1K face tattoos!
Perhaps a sash?

BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Make 1K Great Again?
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
E175 has overhead bins but only on one side in FC, FC is 12 seats
4 of the 5 1K's all had roller bags (I had a backpack I put under the seat) so that pretty much filled up FC, then as he tried to cut in line he ended up at the end of BG1 and he was the last FC person to board. He and one other person has to put their bags in economy. If he would have lined up in BG1 as his boarding pass said he would have been fine, he was standing with us plenty early.

Also, row 7 is the first row of economy on a E175
Sorry, when you said 7 deep into Economy, I read that as 7 rows down into Economy so around row 14. Row 7 bins are just barely outside FC.

Originally Posted by dkc192
If you're talking about E145s and CRJ200s, boy do I wish those aircraft had F...or was there a big announcement I missed?
No but you understand the exceptions I cited ... ;-)
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
(Strike through "paying," then FTFY). "Paid F" really needs to disappear from the lexicon. If it ever meant anything -- and I'd argue that it shouldn't have -- that meaning has completely gone away in the era of differential F pricing.
Your feelings on the use of "paid F" do not negate the fact that airlines do in fact make a distinction in a number of circumstances in spite of "differential F pricing", and presumably a number of customers purchasing tickets for the premium cabin expect that. One who has purchased a ticket for the F cabin regardless of the fare class and dollars spent should get a seat in that cabin before it goes to a non-rev, battlefield upgrade, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.