Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GA covered BP reader with her hand and looked up my name for preboarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite

BBoarding UA 1271 ORD-JAX this afternoon, and I waited until the GA called for 1K’s. So I walked up and she quickly slapped her hand down on the reader and asked me my name. Once she found me on her screen and verified 1K, she said “ok, you’re good” and removed her hand so I could scan my BP. She did the same thing with the 1K guy behind me. I guess this is a reasonable way to ensure adherence to the boarding procedure. Or maybe it was my cologne - Eau de Groupfive.
JetBunny, uanj, Channel 9 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The most reasonable way to ensure compliance is to program the boarding software to beep loudly and embarrass the person trying to board when GS or 1K or any other pre-boarding group is called and the person isn't in those groups. It happens when BG2 tries to board when BG1 is boarding, etc. No reason they can't do it for GS/1K at least.

And if you're boarding with someone who isn't in your group you just let the GA know and they'll override the "beep" and allow them to board, too. Simple IMO.

-RM
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:17 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Yes, I'm not sure why this is so hard to implement -- whether software of the BP scanner is a pain / expensive to update, or the operational headache of the agent having to change the stage of boarding to recognize who should be allowed at that point?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by TA
Yes, I'm not sure why this is so hard to implement -- whether software of the BP scanner is a pain / expensive to update, or the operational headache of the agent having to change the stage of boarding to recognize who should be allowed at that point?
Don't they have to do this anyways at airports with screens?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TA
I haven't seen the software/scanner implementation to be the problem. Is the GA willingness to do anything about it. Too often they say nothing when the buzzer goes.
Boofer, bluedemon211 and twomonger like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
The BP scanner in DFW on Tuesday beeped when a group 1, non 1K paid first class ticket holder tried to scan. She sent him packing and he grumbled. Then after boarding he was sitting in front of me reminding anyone in ear shot how UA sucks that a FC passenger had to put his bag 7 rows deep into Economy

I snickered
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:15 pm

GA should be reprimanded. This is an extremely unprofessional manner of enforcing boarding order.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
The BP scanner in DFW on Tuesday beeped when a group 1, non 1K paid first class ticket holder tried to scan. She sent him packing and he grumbled. Then after boarding he was sitting in front of me reminding anyone in ear shot how UA sucks that a FC passenger had to put his bag 7 rows deep into Economy

I snickered
While it is an eye-roller to see someone try to sneak onto the plane sooner than they're allowed, it is pretty bad when a paying FC passenger is not able to find space for a bag in FC. I find that American is way better at helping FC passengers find space in the bin. Very rarely do I find UA flight attendants doing that.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simmang
While it is an eye-roller to see someone try to sneak onto the plane sooner than they're allowed, it is pretty bad when a paying FC passenger is not able to find space for a bag in FC.
(Strike through "paying," then FTFY). "Paid F" really needs to disappear from the lexicon. If it ever meant anything -- and I'd argue that it shouldn't have -- that meaning has completely gone away in the era of differential F pricing.

The problem is that UA flies several planes where it's just not possible to fit every F passenger's bags in F. (The A319 and E70/75 come to mind). UA has elected to prioritize the bags of passengers with status.

Also: ex-DFW, probably not so much -- but there are plenty of routes where there aren't any upgrades at all, or maybe 1 out of 20 F passengers. There's no boarding order that would satisfy every "paid F" customer in that scenario.
EWR764, ContinentalFan and narvik like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 4, 2019 at 8:56 pm Reason: Please do not edit directly quoted text. (Didn't realize markup counted as edit; sorry :)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: United 1K
Before the merger, 1Ks just had "1K" on their boarding pass. You use the first class line with red carpet. Problem Solved. Putting "Boarding Group 1" on our tickets is confusing.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mkrecek
Before the merger, 1Ks just had "1K" on their boarding pass. You use the first class line with red carpet. Problem Solved. Putting "Boarding Group 1" on our tickets is confusing.
It still shows 1K on my digital boarding pass but in small print at the bottom, so you need to look for it - but I agree that instead of the hand violence, the GA could have just asked to inspect the boarding pass before it was scanned or asked to confirm the name....I do give her kudos at least for trying to enforce the rules vs just not giving a damn.
Boofer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by mkrecek
Totally agree. Seems like the EASIEST fix for this problem.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Interestingly on a recent flight the GA called each 1K member by name to preboard. I think it was alphabetical.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:25 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
This is what a I really like about the automated gates NH uses - they make a different beeping sound for each boarding group and your seat number and status actually pops up on the little screen (SAG for star alliance gold).
I wish united would do something like this, and have at least two machines so that pax could be diverted to the second machine whenever someone accidentally gets in the wrong line.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

I snickered
I know I will get corrected and I am pretty sure this isn't correct but we all know there is much variation on the boarding procedures but it seems like I often hear "we would like to board our FC passengers, GS, and 1K now" . Hence, I am surprised the GA turned a paid F pax away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.