Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GA covered BP reader with her hand and looked up my name for preboarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA covered BP reader with her hand and looked up my name for preboarding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:48 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
I know I will get corrected and I am pretty sure this isn't correct but we all know there is much variation on the boarding procedures but it seems like I often hear "we would like to board our FC passengers, GS, and 1K now" . Hence, I am surprised the GA turned a paid F pax away.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...g-process.aspx

Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business® are at the bottom of group 1.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...g-process.aspx

Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business® are at the bottom of group 1.
In a perfect world. There is a whole wiki devoted to boarding screw ups and the myriad of variations that exist out in the real world but I like the official link. Thanks, I should probably print it and give it to errant GAs .
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nomad420
I know I will get corrected and I am pretty sure this isn't correct but we all know there is much variation on the boarding procedures but it seems like I often hear "we would like to board our FC passengers, GS, and 1K now" . Hence, I am surprised the GA turned a paid F pax away.

This was an E175 and there were about 5 1K's waiting and she went thru the list one by one and paused for 10-15 sec between each group to make sure and give people time. 2 elderly people boarded with the first group "Requiring extra assistance" No military, one GS, and no children under 2 and she clearly then called a "Premier 1K members"

I am 99% sure he knew the difference as he had a gold brag tag on his backpack.......
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:48 pm

I had the same happen to me a couple of months ago there at gate C28, so I think there is one cranky GA there who prefers to cover the scanner and manually check the list of 1K names.

However, the most unusual boarding for me related to this was when I took the 2am flight from Aguadilla (BQN) to Newark. They called me up by name to board instead of announcing that 1Ks could board.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:55 pm

Well it could have been the CLT call I heard...

Disability
Military
Families
Global

Funny enough most of the globals waited for the global announcement and got on after the 1Ks.

Was pretty orderly regardless.

Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: MP Gold, Hertz President's Circle, PC Platinum Elite, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boofer
BBoarding UA 1271 ORD-JAX this afternoon, and I waited until the GA called for 1K’s. So I walked up and she quickly slapped her hand down on the reader and asked me my name. Once she found me on her screen and verified 1K, she said “ok, you’re good” and removed her hand so I could scan my BP. She did the same thing with the 1K guy behind me. I guess this is a reasonable way to ensure adherence to the boarding procedure. Or maybe it was my cologne - Eau de Groupfive.
ha! I was mostly likely the 1K guy right behind you! It was a rather brusque "last name?" for me which was then verified by the GA on the screen before I was granted the privilege of scanning my BP. I didnt really mind this but it did feel a but crude. A software solution does seem better but hey full marks for initiative because JAX TO EWR often boards all preboarding groups together if the flight is delayed for any reason.

P.S. I wasn't wearing cologne.
Boofer likes this.

Last edited by ekchidiya; Apr 4, 2019 at 7:28 pm Reason: Added crucial information regarding cologne
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
The BP scanner in DFW on Tuesday beeped when a group 1, non 1K paid first class ticket holder tried to scan. She sent him packing and he grumbled. Then after boarding he was sitting in front of me reminding anyone in ear shot how UA sucks that a FC passenger had to put his bag 7 rows deep into Economy
To the extent that a FC passenger shouldn't have to put his/her carry-on 7 deep into Economy, I agree with him. GS/1K shouldn't be taking up FC bins when they're sitting in Economy anymore than non-status passengers. It's easy for FC bins to get completely filled by FC passengers on a 145 or 200 but barring those aircraft, 7 rows deep into Economy is ridiculous for a paid FC passenger's carryons.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
At PVG, the GA's proactively pull GS & 1Ks out the BG1 line whiile doing the passport check and line them up in separate lines for boarding in the specified order. It seems to work very well for the pre-boards. I don't know what happens after that, but on two flights in the last 4 weeks, the almost completely full 787's pulled away from the gate early. ^
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
To the extent that a FC passenger shouldn't have to put his/her carry-on 7 deep into Economy, I agree with him. GS/1K shouldn't be taking up FC bins when they're sitting in Economy anymore than non-status passengers. It's easy for FC bins to get completely filled by FC passengers on a 145 or 200 but barring those aircraft, 7 rows deep into Economy is ridiculous for a paid FC passenger's carryons.
E175 has overhead bins but only on one side in FC, FC is 12 seats
4 of the 5 1K's all had roller bags (I had a backpack I put under the seat) so that pretty much filled up FC, then as he tried to cut in line he ended up at the end of BG1 and he was the last FC person to board. He and one other person has to put their bags in economy. If he would have lined up in BG1 as his boarding pass said he would have been fine, he was standing with us plenty early.

Also, row 7 is the first row of economy on a E175
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boofer
BBoarding UA 1271 ORD-JAX this afternoon, and I waited until the GA called for 1K’s. So I walked up and she quickly slapped her hand down on the reader and asked me my name. Once she found me on her screen and verified 1K, she said “ok, you’re good” and removed her hand so I could scan my BP. She did the same thing with the 1K guy behind me. I guess this is a reasonable way to ensure adherence to the boarding procedure. Or maybe it was my cologne - Eau de Groupfive.

Username checks out.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Also: ex-DFW, probably not so much -- but there are plenty of routes where there aren't any upgrades at all, or maybe 1 out of 20 F passengers. There's no boarding order that would satisfy every "paid F" customer in that scenario.
In all seriousness, I have an almost impossible time getting upgraded EWR-DFW. Quite heavy business route. Definitely a "Want F, buy F" route for me.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
In all seriousness, I have an almost impossible time getting upgraded EWR-DFW. Quite heavy business route. Definitely a "Want F, buy F" route for me.
Fair enough. I think I have a 100% upgrade rate to/from DFW, but it's a very small sample size and only to IAH and DEN. My reasoning was just that DFW has a lot of AA elites flying nonstop to places where UA passengers would have to connect.
dmurphynj and chavala like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Fair enough. I think I have a 100% upgrade rate to/from DFW, but it's a very small sample size and only to IAH and DEN. My reasoning was just that DFW has a lot of AA elites flying nonstop to places where UA passengers would have to connect.
I guess it's the reverse commute from here... a whole bunch of us Northeast folks going to Dallas that'd have to connect on AAny other airline.

Say what you will about EWR, but being based here I can get to all of my customers - save one location - without a connection.
TPA/MCO/ATL/BOS/IAD/DFW/CMH/CVG/SFO/SNA/SMF/DEN -- all nonstops. The only exception is COS, and I guess I really could just drive down from DEN.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Well it could have been the CLT call I heard...

Disability
Military
Families
Global

Funny enough most of the globals waited for the global announcement and got on after the 1Ks.

Was pretty orderly regardless.

Whoops! 1K win
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
It's easy for FC bins to get completely filled by FC passengers on a 145 or 200 but barring those aircraft, 7 rows deep into Economy is ridiculous for a paid FC passenger's carryons.
If you're talking about E145s and CRJ200s, boy do I wish those aircraft had F...or was there a big announcement I missed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.