Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA is now posting their flight earnings very soon after arrival (hours, same day, ..)

Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally UA operated flights are posting with hour or two of landing and often before landing

Things that can lead to a day or two delays
-- Irrops rerouting
-- late SDC
-- Same day booking

Appears UA does some preprocessing in advance of the flight and changes after that preprocessing are processed later.
Print Wikipost

UA is now posting their flight earnings very soon after arrival (hours, same day, ..)

Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
DEN-IAH (5hour layover) - CHS

DEN-IAH posted before IAH-CHS flight took off

Flight is still in "My Trips" although the link is dead, typicallyt when that went away you got credited soon there after.

I got credited for IAH-CHS somewhere between 2-6hrs after landing as well

I had to do a double take as i thought maybe CC miles posted at a weird time
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1P
My latest example: LAX-LHR, flew this last Friday, landed Saturday lunchtime, miles posted Monday morning.
Not saying it doesn't happen. Just saying that this experience is not a hard/fast rule.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GBadger
Not saying it doesn't happen. Just saying that this experience is not a hard/fast rule.
As pessimistic as I tend to be -- for the last "while" (18 months? longer?) mileage has been posting for me faster -- by around 24 hours -- than it did before that change or even pmCO.

But I flew CLE-ORD this morning -- sitting in the UC waiting for a delayed connection -- and noticed that flight has already posted ^^^

Now if only I could get my Copa flights from 8 days ago to post my spreadsheet and balance would be in agreement
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
My SFO-HKG miles were already posted by the time I was on the train into town!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I was very surprised yesterday morning when I saw my flights the afternoon/evening before had already posted. They used to take about 3 days. Nice change. Now if they can just get the rest of the website fixed and to keep it from breaking...
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
My 0740 EWR-DEN yesterday posted by the time I made it to my office downtown, and the return DEN-EWR (1910 departure) posted by the time I woke up this morning... I like this!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This is fantastic news. Sounds like something UA might want to do some publicity about?

It this lasts it is truly a "change I will like" and an enhancement that's actually an enhancement!!h
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:18 am

Had flights on Mo and Tu this week and both posted in less than 24 hrs. Actually overnight. 6 p.m. flight showed when I started the computer 6 a.m. next day.

Incidentally I notice the same with MP shopping. Miles post even before item has shipped. Used to take forever.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Wife's flight yesterday SNA-EWR arrived at 3PMish, by 6PM miles had posted.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the value to everyone of flights posting quickly? Of course quicker is better than slower, but are there times you all are waiting for your miles to post to make an award booking or something? Just wondering, as to me it doesn't matter that much, but I know others use miles differently.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
That was somewhat weird -- my first flight (mentioned upthread) posted within an hour of arrival, but my second flight didn't post until sometime between 6-12 hours after arrival (when I went to bed last night it still hadn't posted, but it was there this morning)

Originally Posted by fumje
What is the value to everyone of flights posting quickly? Of course quicker is better than slower, but are there times you all are waiting for your miles to post to make an award booking or something? Just wondering, as to me it doesn't matter that much, but I know others use miles differently.
For me: I hardly ever actually use miles (I'm mostly in this game for the status goal treadmill) but I keep a spreadsheet to make sure everything gets credited (primarily for PQM/PQS/PQD). When they post more quickly I can get everything reconciled quicker and less risk of something going off the rails when I have something like 8 flights in 4 consecutive days -- under the (old?) (current?) 2 day lagging system this means that the first flights can't be fully reconciled until 4 more flights have occurred and if anything goes sideways with any of them figuring out which one went sideways can be annoying.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
That was somewhat weird -- my first flight (mentioned upthread) posted within an hour of arrival, but my second flight didn't post until sometime between 6-12 hours after arrival (when I went to bed last night it still hadn't posted, but it was there this morning)

For me: I hardly ever actually use miles (I'm mostly in this game for the status goal treadmill) but I keep a spreadsheet to make sure everything gets credited (primarily for PQM/PQS/PQD). When they post more quickly I can get everything reconciled quicker and less risk of something going off the rails when I have something like 8 flights in 4 consecutive days -- under the (old?) (current?) 2 day lagging system this means that the first flights can't be fully reconciled until 4 more flights have occurred and if anything goes sideways with any of them figuring out which one went sideways can be annoying.
It wouldn't be on UA if it were consistently happening.

To me the ability to immediately reconciliation is also the only benefit, but I guess, personally, it feels like a small improvement.

I wondered if this is sort of a bone they're throwing to the 'expert users' in the MP program, who generally will lose out from every other change they're making, but then I have a hard time figuring out how this materially helps.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
This is almost as good as Northwest was about posting miles 15 years ago. Now if UA would just serve the same food in F that NW served 15 years ago.
RobOnLI and cfischer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Yes, exactly. If your airline has more or less instant posting and then buys a smaller airline and then it takes days on end to get your miles posted, its mildly upsetting. Then, 10 years later problem is corrected...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Just taking another item from DL's playbook.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.