Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

One-on-one with United president Scott Kirby - McGinnis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One-on-one with United president Scott Kirby - McGinnis

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
UA operates 2X the number of flights from ORD as from SFO.
And do those flights bring in 2x the revenue?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
Would be huge if they added OAK to SoCal. With the summer fog and winter rain those flights take it on the chin hardest into SFO.
I would love OAK so much for all the short-haul coastal flights. I have something dismal like a 90% delay rate SFO-SEA.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by threeoh
And do those flights bring in 2x the revenue?
Isnt DEN the hub with the highest margins, IIRC? Each hub is strategically important for its own reasons.

I personally would like UA trying to build our focus cities, like DL has been able to do, but methinks they will focus on rebanking and optimizing existing hub traffic before even contemplating that.
east_west likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by halls120
SFO is a hub with many GS and 1K. I'll bet many of them would have liked the interviewer to at least ask the question. If you're a journalist, and you can't at least ask one hard question, all you are doing is acting as a paid PR shill for the company whose President you're interviewing.
On a 1-10 scale of "hard hitting" frequent flyer journalism, if 1 is The Points Guy, I'd give this article at least a 7.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I thought it was a good interview - sure a question on Polaris might be interesting but he's got to balance his questions as to not get on a banned list - I get that.

Besides, he simply say something like - we believe it is in the best interest of customers to balance our costs with a superior on-board seat and our MileagePlus program that allows upgrade opportunities not only for our frequent fliers but also other fliers as well. We've made a significant investment in Polaris Lounges and we feel this is the best balance for our customers - blah blah blah......
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Except that AMS is already scaled back ... other than, all good
And even the scaled back flights are going out with NonRevs.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
"So are people willing to pay an extra $110 on a $1000 transatlantic fare to sit in a row with one less seat?"

Yes.

To be more specific, I will not fly transatlantic on the 10 across 777 at any price. Give me back the original 2-5-2 on the 777 and charge more. Make the pairs of seats premium seating and charge for it if you must.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MysteryTour
"So are people willing to pay an extra $110 on a $1000 transatlantic fare to sit in a row with one less seat?"

Yes.
The problem is, there are empirically not enough people like you to fill the planes, whereas there are plenty of people who will not.

P+ is intended to try to bridge the gap. How well it will do that remains to be seen, but the relative size of the cabin should tell you a lot about the population of the various groups of people. (PE cabins are similarly sized throughout the industry, so this isn't just UA not understanding its market or whatever).
milypan and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:24 pm

Yes.

The question isn't "Are people willing", the question is how many are willing.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Stretch 737s doing premium transcon? Ick.
am1108 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:06 pm
Suspended

What's the future of low fare flying to Europe in light of WOW Air's demise?

I have always said that all low cost carriers flying long haul international are going to go out of business. I continue to think they will all fail. The business model just does not work. It's one thing for a 1-2 hour flight, but not for SFO to Europe. The low fare product is at a big disadvantage because the lie-flat seats that an airline can charge a premium for are not there. Those long haul planes are expensive to operate. Over the last few years we've see Air Berlin fail, Primera, and now WOW
Air Berlin had lie flat seats, probably better than UA's.

At the same time IAG just launched a long-haul LCC, Level. Icelandair might be in that category. I guess Condor is similar for LH - and I do think they have lie-flat seats. And what about Air Europa?

It sounds to me like he's trying to scare off potential investors since UA's strategy is to make the back of the plane an expensive LCC I guess.

UA couldn't make TED work, but look at Allegiant and Spirit. They just were doing it wrong.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Don’t expect UA back at JFK anytime soon..... the execs really blew that call getting out entirely. Now it will cost them dearly to get back in
Given how much UA has dumped into Terminal C at EWR I doubt they'll be moving anytime soon. At this point they virtually own that airport occupying all of Terminal C and a good chunk of Terminal A. The remaining tenants have to scuffle over the remaining scraps. Consequently, I suppose UA has more bargaining power with the power authority than, say, DL and AA who have a major presence at JFK. It also doesn't hurt if you create a route for a Port Authority Executive apparently! Also, Newark is closer to NYC than the other NY area airports.

That being said the airport has a couple of disadvantages namely:
  1. Terminals A and B are real dumps from slow security, limited facilities and a dated concourse to the fact that there is no airside connection between them all
  2. Limited Amount of Connections with INTL * carriers (i.e. SN, NH and OZ only go to JFK whilst the LH Group of airlines have significantly larger presence out of JFK)
  3. No subway connections to NYC (sure you can take NJ Transit trains but again hassle, slow and disgusting)
  4. It's in NJ!
The fact that NYC has three airports is a real pain point for the city. Having to the airport shuffle is a real pain, especially in the horrendous traffic NY/NJ is known for is a real farce and is something most major cities in the world avoid!

If anything, I see UA dropping LGA and moving some of their domestic flights to JFK to support connections with the rest of the * network since I don't see those carriers moving to LGA or EWR given how stretched to the limits the latter's Terminal B is! UA's decision to have no presence in JFK is also hampering their JV partner AC since they can't dump flights into JFK to support international routings, no no no! Instead, they must sync up with UA's hubs to support onward connections on the network.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
50-60% "buyup to standard Economy" from BE -- meaning ?? 40-50% in the back are BE? (not sure if this includes premier members)
The key word there is "buy up", so it's people that in some form or other start with BE. Thus it excludes most corporate travelers (where BE isnt even offered), probably anyone that turns of "Show BE fares" on the app, and most likely also those that select the Economy fare to start with on the website.

ie, people who select "BE" at first, but then realize by the time they check the bag they now can't carry-on it's going to cost basically the same - and with other disadvantages like no seat selection.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by zymm
I would love OAK so much for all the short-haul coastal flights. I have something dismal like a 90% delay rate SFO-SEA.
I suspect even if they add OAK there won't be a convenient routimg to Seattle.
jsloan and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:46 pm

Yes.

To be more specific, I will not fly transatlantic on the 10 across 777 at any price. Give me back the original 2-5-2 on the 777 and charge more. Make the pairs of seats premium seating and charge for it if you must.
If you're willing to pay a premium for a pair of seats alone, premium economy is right up your alley. It's less than $300 more roundtrip than economy on EWR-FRA for example. I doubt that's what UA intended long term, but that's how the market is currently shaping up. And you get a whole lot more legroom than you ever did in economy, plus 50% more PQMs.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
That being said the airport has a couple of disadvantages namely:
  1. Terminals A and B are real dumps from slow security, limited facilities and a dated concourse to the fact that there is no airside connection between them all
I only noticed it because I was returning a rental car to EWR, but they've already got the steel frame up for the new Terminal A (Terminal 'One'). Just took a flight from A today and they have the renderings up - looks outstanding and opens in a couple years.

Then they demolish the old A and I'm going to guess build another on top of that site down the line.

As for the "it's NJ"...

The most exclusive airport in the NY metro favored by people who value time the most by far is in NJ.

It's Teterboro.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Apr 2, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.