Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TPA-IAH-SMF, all in F, zero meal service?

TPA-IAH-SMF, all in F, zero meal service?

Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sounds like a ‘basket case’ to me!
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I fly TPA-IAH and IAH/TPA every couple months, have for years.

There is never ever a meal service.

Usually the flight time is under 2 hours no matter what any booking schedule says.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Are you sure about that to IAD? SFO/LAX-IAD are not Transcontinental Premium (aka p.s.) routes.(ie SFO/LAX-EWR and SFO-BOS)
I can confirm. Never been denied a decently substantial snack even for late night red-eyes on multiple non p.s. transcontinental routes.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by VWang1111

I can confirm. Never been denied a decently substantial snack even for late night red-eyes on multiple non p.s. transcontinental routes.
LAX-CLE red-eye is not a substantial snack.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:14 pm
Suspended

I just drink as much as I can on the TPA-IAH leg. Problem solved
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
I understand the sentiment, but my friend DID expect a meal on the TPA-IAH segment based on the scheduled departure time (7:19 PM) and the fact that its a 2 1/2 hour gate to gate travel time..
best way to know what to expect is to see what it says when booking the flight or on the flight status page, which are almost always accurate and are specific to the flight in question. The 7:19 PM flight tonight clearly lists “Light snack and beverages”, so I’m not sure anyone reading that could be confused on what to expect.

Originally Posted by findark
I'm not really sure these statements are any more or less true than United's. The catering choice is by route (so block time moving a minute or two has no effect) and chosen somewhat arbitrarily in a way that maximizes profits and roughly corresponds to stage length..
this.

In what maybe was the first or second major meal service change in F after the merger, there was a thread that specified mileage while the meal service page talked about “approx.” times. I’ve always believed the real delineator is the mileage, with the times being a stand in because it’s easier for folks to understand.

I then remember a thread where there was someone doing IAH-SDF expecting dinner, but only got snacks, while IAH-CVG does get dinner. The gate to gate times are similar - maybe 10 minutes difference. But I believe the real differentiator is the mileage - with the cutoff at 800. And then it makes complete sense - IAH-SDF is just under 800 - I think 788 - whereas CVG is 871.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I then remember a thread where there was someone doing IAH-SDF expecting dinner, but only got snacks, while IAH-CVG does get dinner. The gate to gate times are similar - maybe 10 minutes difference. But I believe the real differentiator is the mileage - with the cutoff at 800. And then it makes complete sense - IAH-SDF is just under 800 - I think 788 - whereas CVG is 871.
It is, but it isn't. I don't remember them off the top of my head, but if I tried I could find you a 790-mile route with Dinner and an 809-mile route with Refreshments. Part of it was the long list of "exception market" carve-outs (e.g. ORD-EWR gets a meal because it's Chicago to New York), but right around the 800-mile mark there was a lot of fuzziness.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
Wrong. Transcontinental redeyes receive a warm sandwich or calzone as a snack right after departure, with a muffin or scone before landing.
Hmm, no they don't. Not in the last 10 I have taken. And who in their right mind wants to eat food at 10:30pm PST? Maybe in an alternate universe where UA has lie-flats on the IAD routes
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe

best way to know what to expect is to see what it says when booking the flight or on the flight status page, which are almost always accurate and are specific to the flight in question. The 7:19 PM flight tonight clearly lists “Light snack and beverages”, so I’m not sure anyone reading that could be confused on what to expect.

this.

In what maybe was the first or second major meal service change in F after the merger, there was a thread that specified mileage while the meal service page talked about “approx.” times. I’ve always believed the real delineator is the mileage, with the times being a stand in because it’s easier for folks to understand.

Everyone is missing the point. Yes, the 7:19 flight itself lists "Light snack and beverages" as meal options in F, yet in the area where United is discussing food amenities in the In-Flight Dining area, it clearly states for flights with a duration of "2 hrs. 20 min. to 2 hrs. 59 min.", departing in the range "4 p.m. to 8 p.m", the catering in F is "A full meal service with two entree choices"

I’m not sure anyone reading that could be confused on what to expect, except if they look at the specific flight in question. Isnt that what the "in flight dining" page is supposed to be for then?

By this logic, why even have an "in flight dining" page if you have to re-check for your particular flight anyways?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
Everyone is missing the point. Yes, the 7:19 flight itself lists "Light snack and beverages" as meal options in F, yet in the area where United is discussing food amenities in the In-Flight Dining area, it clearly states for flights with a duration of "2 hrs. 20 min. to 2 hrs. 59 min.", departing in the range "4 p.m. to 8 p.m", the catering in F is "A full meal service with two entree choices"

I’m not sure anyone reading that could be confused on what to expect, except if they look at the specific flight in question. Isnt that what the "in flight dining" page is supposed to be for then?

By this logic, why even have an "in flight dining" page if you have to re-check for your particular flight anyways?
You are absolutely right and IMO the United page is very misleading, probably deliberately so. Also, it's ridiculous saying that the itinerary is the key indicator as, after all, they quite often manage to get the aircraft wrong in that section.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Why can’t we all use 24 hour clocks?
BlueZebra and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To the original question, I do think it's worth a complaint — couched in the context that UA did not promise a proper meal, with the point that they should have offered one.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Pick your battles.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.