Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Old May 20, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by UAmilehighflyer
Any expert tips or tricks on booking on UA/SQ?
Book separately or use a travel agent.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any expert tips or tricks on booking on UA/SQ?
It can't be done -- at least, not without spending a lot of money. (Also, there aren't going to be any upgrade options available for you either). Singapore (SQ) does not allow their discount fares to be plated on other carriers' tickets. If you want to fly SQ, you have to buy your ticket from SQ. If you need PQDs, SQ is not an option.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
It can't be done -- at least, not without spending a lot of money.
Actually, I was able to do that in the past. But - this was with a corporate travel agent.

Also - the UA/SQ pricing was exactly the same as UA only pricing. And it was not expensive.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Book separately or use a travel agent.
to get a UA/SQ combo, this is essentially what youll have to do. Even if UA would book it on their website, it would likely be cost prohibitive unless you had planned to book in full fare Y - most SQ fare classes are restricted to SQ ticket stock - thats an SQ restriction.

Note that while a TA can likely book a UA/SQ combo, it will almost certainly be booked on SQ stock, and therefore not earn PQD. Ticketing convention is it needs to be ticketed on the first long-haul carrier. Theoretically, a TA could choose to book it on UA stock, but they are liable to consequences for doing that, and also youd still run into the issue of not being able to get discount fares on SQ using 016 stock.

In essence, unless you are willing to pay full fare, very unlikely youll be able to both fly SQ and receive PQD.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I'm sure this is a newbie question, but I'm starting to plan a trip to Singapore and was interested in options for flying on SQ metal from LAX or SFO (origin airport is DEN). I'm not planning on booking the flights themselves using miles, but would be open to upgrade options where feasible. Also, would like to look at premium economy options, and UA hasn't yet retro-fitted the 787s on this route with PE seating.

When I search DEN - SIN on United, I only see options on United, and a few on ANA. No SQ. When I search on SQ (which I don't really want to do because I won't earn PQDs) the only options from DEN - SFO/LAX are on Delta or JetBlue. I'm assuming this might just be a case of UA/SQ not playing nicely. I could just book on UA the entire way, but think that the experience on a 17 hour flight would be better in SQ no matter the fare class. Any expert tips or tricks on booking on UA/SQ?
The better question is how much are you willing to pay for SQ flights to plate on UA stock? Discounted booking class maybe a futile task on 016 tickets.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Actually, I was able to do that in the past. But - this was with a corporate travel agent.

Also - the UA/SQ pricing was exactly the same as UA only pricing. And it was not expensive.
SQ longhaul? That's very difficult to believe. When was this?

UA connecting to SQ? That's an entirely different story.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe

to get a UA/SQ combo, this is essentially what youll have to do. Even if UA would book it on their website, it would likely be cost prohibitive unless you had planned to book in full fare Y - most SQ fare classes are restricted to SQ ticket stock - thats an SQ restriction.

Note that while a TA can likely book a UA/SQ combo, it will almost certainly be booked on SQ stock, and therefore not earn PQD. Ticketing convention is it needs to be ticketed on the first long-haul carrier. Theoretically, a TA could choose to book it on UA stock, but they are liable to consequences for doing that, and also youd still run into the issue of not being able to get discount fares on SQ using 016 stock.

In essence, unless you are willing to pay full fare, very unlikely youll be able to both fly SQ and receive PQD.
almost ... you will still get PQD for the UA segments on such a ticket ... just not on the SQ segments.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Is there any way to ticket SQ21 or SQ22 via United (EWR-SIN and back)? Looking at taking flight next year and would love to get EQD for United but does not look like it's possible as United simply does not show this flight on it's web site but shows other SQ flights.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rmc1
Is there any way to ticket SQ21 or SQ22 via United (EWR-SIN and back)? Looking at taking flight next year and would love to get EQD for United but does not look like it's possible as United simply does not show this flight on it's web site but shows other SQ flights.
No. SQ will not permit United to plate its fares.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
No. SQ will not permit United to plate its fares.
Actually, SQ does but you won't like the fares. You can ticket by phone using full F/Z/S/Y fares. It usually doesn't make sense unless it is OPM. EWR-SIN-EWR in full F is about $20K. That's loads of EQD.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TerryK
Actually, SQ does but you won't like the fares. You can ticket by phone using full F/Z/S/Y fares. It usually doesn't make sense unless it is OPM. EWR-SIN-EWR in full F is about $20K. That's loads of EQD.
Ah, true.. looks like CIFSQ is a YY-templated fare that permits off-plating.. the more expensive Z11USOL does not, however.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Ah, true.. looks like CIFSQ is a YY-templated fare that permits off-plating.. the more expensive Z11USOL does not, however.
I have not done this but I know people that have and indeed it was OPM deal to run up miles and dollars with UA. I actually thought this door was closed but from the discussion it looks like you can still off-plate the ticket for a price.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: United
Question UA OAL Fares on 016 vs the OAL

Hi all -

Long time lurker, first time poster. I did some hunting around, but didn't see anything recent, so I apologize if this is a repeated question or not appropriate.

I'm trying my hardest to re-qualify for 1K status next year, but the bulk of my flying between now and the end of the year is within Asia, Europe, and the South Pacific. All of the flights I'm considering on other *A partners are also available on UA's site, but at a much, much higher fare class and thus price. Given that UA metal isn't an option for quite a few of my flights, I'm trying my best to ticket on 016 where I can, but the fares are so egregious (3x the price on UA.com) and searching for other fare buckets in Expert Mode doesn't yield any results.

Has anyone found a workaround to this or is it just one of those SOL situations? Example would be trying to ticket an SQ D or U class ticket on 016 stock, when I think United is only filing C and Z for SQ.

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjiK
Has anyone found a workaround to this or is it just one of those SOL situations? Example would be trying to ticket an SQ D or U class ticket on 016 stock, when I think United is only filing C and Z for SQ.
It's not United; it's SQ. They (like many airlines) require that their discount fares be issued ("plated") on their own ticket stock. There's no workaround.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: United
As expected... thanks for the confirmation!
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.