Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Mandatory Express Dining Service for East Coast TATL red-eye flights?
Is a good idea
40.77%
Prefer having a choice of regular or express
59.23%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1P
Some of us have melatonin-related conditions that mean we have to sleep with the light on. Turning off one's neighbor's light is a selfish act which can make the person feel nauseous and ill for up to 12 hours or more. Perhaps those who do this don't mind having their neighbors vomit all over them..... eyemasks are your friend, but the person with the condition has no easy solution.
This is an interesting sidebar discussion.

That sounds terribly unfortunate and unpleasant, but It also sounds extraordinarily, exceptionally rare. I would be completely sympathetic of a person next to me who suffered from this condition, whatever it is, but I still think I would switch my seatmate's reading light off if I noticed they had dozed off without doing so. A curious dilemma, and I am sorry if you have that issue.
tuolumne, Kacee, BlueSky72 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
A curious dilemma
It's not that much of a dilemma, you just say "I'm going to sleep with my light on, please don't turn it off." You can explain more if you want, or not -- it's your light. I don't have a medical condition, but sometimes on the ground I nap with the light on if I'm trying to adjust to a new timezone.

But in the absence of a heads up that the light is going to be left on intentionally, I don't think it's rude or unacceptable to turn off a sleeping seatmate's light, as long as you can do so without touching them.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by threeoh
It's not that much of a dilemma, you just say "I'm going to sleep with my light on, please don't turn it off." You can explain more if you want, or not -- it's your light. I don't have a medical condition, but sometimes on the ground I nap with the light on if I'm trying to adjust to a new timezone..
That would certainly be sufficient for me to avoid doing so... absent that admonition, I think I would turn out a seatmate's light as much out of courtesy to them as convenience to me.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SS255
The cheese is my favorite part of the meal service. Do you know if United will at least be making the cheese available mid-flight, as they currently do with the extra stock?

This is what I’m thinking too. Cut out the additional desserts and the cheese course, and those items won’t be available in the galley mid-flight when those people who skipped dinner need a little nibble. So yes, it’s a cut, plain and simple. TATL travelers will get Polaris Level B, versus all courses for TPAC flyers.
ATLintheair likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I can definitely see both sides of the argument for mandatory express service, but I do think UA should think carefully about how they're presenting their J product. A lot of people pay good money for Int'l J, and grow resentful if they feel they don't have a choice/are treated like cattle in J.

I think UA should, instead, continue to make the express service optional, but invest in better sleep masks and headphones to help sleeping passengers better block out light/sounds. Sounds like a more happy compromise, but probably won't happen in profit-seeking UA-land.

Also, yes, AA does offer mandatory expedited service on their shorter JFK overnight TATLs, but they utilize the snack bar and set up snacks for their passengers to nibble on, which seems like a good solution.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k
In response to cmd320's comment about SQ:
this was not my experience. When I flew the route (admittedly, this was over a year ago), I went to sleep 2 hours into the flight, and appetizers had not yet been served. I think it depends on where you sit in business class, since there are like a hundred passengers in J on the A380!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I can definitely see both sides of the argument for mandatory express service, but I do think UA should think carefully about how they're presenting their J product. A lot of people pay good money for Int'l J, and grow resentful if they feel they don't have a choice/are treated like cattle in J.

I think UA should, instead, continue to make the express service optional, but invest in better sleep masks and headphones to help sleeping passengers better block out light/sounds. Sounds like a more happy compromise, but probably won't happen in profit-seeking UA-land.

Also, yes, AA does offer mandatory expedited service on their shorter JFK overnight TATLs, but they utilize the snack bar and set up snacks for their passengers to nibble on, which seems like a good solution.
As I think about this more, they should have tried this experiment on some flights out of EWR and been very explicit about it. That way the Polaris lounge is available for anyone who wants a full meal service.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by augias84
In response to cmd320's comment about SQ:
this was not my experience. When I flew the route (admittedly, this was over a year ago), I went to sleep 2 hours into the flight, and appetizers had not yet been served. I think it depends on where you sit in business class, since there are like a hundred passengers in J on the A380!
I suppose it's possible, or possible there was just a poor crew. Never had such an issue myself though.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: All the programs!
This should be sold as Polaris minus or light and priced accordingly.
cmd320 and ATLintheair like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BlueSky72

This is what I’m thinking too. Cut out the additional desserts and the cheese course, and those items won’t be available in the galley mid-flight when those people who skipped dinner need a little nibble. So yes, it’s a cut, plain and simple. TATL travelers will get Polaris Level B, versus all courses for TPAC flyers.
I think at this point, TATL Polaris is on Level F, and TPAC Polaris is on Level D.

Haven't seen Level B in some time now...
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BlueSky72
...TATL travelers will get Polaris Level B, versus all courses for TPAC flyers.
Don't count on it for long - I am pretty confident in my forecast that TPAC catering will be slashed equally at some point this year, unless this experiment over the Atlantic shows data that customers are booking away because of it.

Hot breakfast, hot midflight snack, cheese plate, port, enhanced desserts, Japanese special meal, etc - bits and pieces of the combined Continental and United catering legacy that were folded into the new airline and made their way into Polaris will be gone, along with pajamas.

Polaris meals will more closely match today's PS meals regardless of flight length, potentially allowing for additional crew cuts in the forward cabins.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen

Polaris meals will more closely match today's PS meals regardless of flight length, potentially allowing for additional crew cuts in the forward cabins.
The PS meals are Polaris sans the port these days

App / salad
Main separate (still on larger plate as of last month)
Dessert cart with ice cream, cheese, sweets

Let's not give them ideas on expressifying that like Delta did on its transcons
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The PS meals are Polaris sans the port these days

App / salad
Main separate (still on larger plate as of last month)
Dessert cart with ice cream, cheese, sweets

Let's not give them ideas on expressifying that like Delta did on its transcons
I stand corrected as I didn't realize PS had a dessert cart - in that case I would expect Polaris, and PS to follow, a domestic F setup with similar portion sizing, and dessert ordered and served separately from a limited menu. The only difference I can see between future PS/Polaris will be the dessert course vs the small piece of cake served on domestic F. Portion sizes will likely be identical to domestic F, with a much smaller appetizer and salad jammed onto the same tray.

I don't think I'm giving Kirby any ideas - I would suggest he had plans to wreck Polaris and the MP program the moment he was hired.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
While we're only about 30% done the reconfigs, does the Polaris seat address the light / noise issue of the traditional service? If so, the disturbance argument that UA is making is less valid.

On another note, while I voted in favor of making it mandatory, I think that my view has changed now that my opinion as to UAs motives behind this have changed.

Now, what if UA changed the focus meal on these flights to the pre-arrival meal? While this does apply to OD traffic more, I would think that most people are less interested in a big dinner at 10:00pm, but a larger breakfast at 8:00am before landing and getting on with your day could be more beneficial. It would also help acclimate people to the new time zone easier.

That said, my vote is for a default express dinner on these flights, with the option for full service by request, and then a 3 or 4 course breakfast prior to arrival (A Fruit Plate, a Hot or Cold Cereal Course, a full selection of hot options for the main course, and a Yogurt Parfait to end.)
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by phkc070408
While we're only about 30% done the reconfigs, does the Polaris seat address the light / noise issue of the traditional service? If so, the disturbance argument that UA is making is less valid.
Only partially. 77W yes, but 772 no (the lights are full up on the 772). Those that get the mood lighting will be better, but you’ll still feel the vibrations of the carts and feet going up and down the aisle.

And the Polaris reconfigs (or % of the widebody fleet) is now closer to 40% than 30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.