Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Mandatory Express Dining Service for East Coast TATL red-eye flights?
Is a good idea
40.77%
Prefer having a choice of regular or express
59.23%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Well, United confirmed this. I'll be updating my original piece to reflect this and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

No cheese, no choice of petit fours, no hot breakfast...

Now to confirm, hasn't IAD-FRA/LHR/LIS/DUB always had hot breakfast SINCE the Polaris transition in 12/2016? (I know it didn't before that...)
As far as I’m aware, there have been hot breakfasts on (at least) IAD-LHR in J every time I’ve flown them, and that’s way before Polaris (pre and post merger, even when J had the barcaloungers). I’ve often skipped the main meal, (tried to) sleep and had the hot breakfast pre-arrival.

While I fully support the mandatory express dining I’d have hoped there’d have been at least the cheese plate available as a mid flight snack. Indeed I may have asked that my express meal be just the appetizer and cheese.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

As far as I’m aware, there have been hot breakfasts on (at least) IAD-LHR in J every time I’ve flown them, and that’s way before Polaris (pre and post merger, even when J had the barcaloungers). I’ve often skipped the main meal, (tried to) sleep and had the hot breakfast pre-arrival.

While I fully support the mandatory express dining I’d have hoped there’d have been at least the cheese plate available as a mid flight snack. Indeed I may have asked that my express meal be just the appetizer and cheese.

Why would you support mandatory express dining - enforcing a personal preference on everyone else in the cabin - vs optional express dining on request?

You do realize, I hope, this is not a convenience offered for passengers to rest, but an excuse using marketing gibberish that allows Kirby to completely strip down Polaris inflight service, and twisting a severe, unconscionable product slash into a "benefit" for customers.

This level of customer hostility twisted into marketing BS hasn't been tried so brazenly since the days of that twit Vicki Escarra at Delta almost 20 years ago...."AKA" "we've heard from our customers that our portion sizes are too large, and the variety of entree selection is causing confusion, and since we listen to our customers and take their concerns very seriously, we've decided to remove all inflight meal service to simplify our product and reduce confusion"

EWR764, rch4u, SFO777 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
*** Is there a way to change my poll answer??? ***

My vote was based on the assumption that the food offerings were identical, but just expedited.
EWR764 and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I rarely take the affected flights, but I'd personally would prefer quick meal service and lights out ASAP to get what little sleep is afforded during the flight time.
Miggles likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
*** Is there a way to change my poll answer??? *** ....
To the best of my understanding -- neither a member or a moderator can change a poll selection once made.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:59 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why would you support mandatory express dining - enforcing a personal preference on everyone else in the cabin - vs optional express dining on request?
I personally think there's something to the idea of modifying the onboard service for short night flights to maximize sleep time but ALSO would argue it needs to be thought out not just "we're going to water down the service and save $$$".

A few months ago I wondered if UA branded night PS flights (i.e. after 3pm departures from SFO / LAX to EWR / BOS) as "sleeper service" and give J passengers access to the PL to eat there vs. onboard. Obviously, the same constraints still apply as noted in this thread...the PL and PL capacity must exist, the passenger must have time, etc. but the thought process was the same: give passengers a dining alternative to eating onboard to allow them to maximize their sleep.

I wonder if UA could do something similar for EWR / IAD (and maybe ORD / IAH) Europe departures. Brand these flights as "sleeper service", focus on using high-quality lounges on departure and arrival for dining, and offer a way for passengers who cannot make use of the facilities a way to pre-order full meals online. Seems like there's a lot of winners here: 1. passengers who have the time can enjoy higher quality food/drink on ground facilities, 2. passengers who cannot can pre-order their full meal in advance, 3. UA can cater to greater precision and reduce costs by not loading extra J meals which don't get consumed.
EWR764 and mmack like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, United confirmed this. I'll be updating my original piece to reflect this and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Now to confirm, hasn't IAD-FRA/LHR/LIS/DUB always had hot breakfast SINCE the Polaris transition in 12/2016? (I know it didn't before that...)
Confrimed this as part of the express service trial, or they're just doing away with those things system-wide?

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Because if it's optional, the lights are still on until everyone who selected non-express is done eating.

Personally, I don't need a meal on a 9-11 PM departure to Europe, I'll eat dinner beforehand. Have some decent snacks available and I'm good. Offer food in the PL lounge (at a more appropriate time for dinner) even better.

For those coming in on tight connections, if you're in paid J you almost certainly also had meal service on your incoming flight.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How is no hot breakfast anything but a cost saving service cut? I don't typically eat it, as I'd rather eat breakfast on the ground in Europe, but still . . . .
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
How is no hot breakfast anything but a cost saving service cut? I don't typically eat it, as I'd rather eat breakfast on the ground in Europe, but still . . . .
The cost difference between and hot and cold breakfast is minimal, or even negative since eggs are so cheap. Most of the cost is associated with logistics and you really only start to save if trays and china are eliminated.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

The cheese is my favorite part of the meal service. Do you know if United will at least be making the cheese available mid-flight, as they currently do with the extra stock?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
For those coming in on tight connections, if you're in paid J you almost certainly also had meal service on your incoming flight.
I'd beg to differ here - with how many flights were downgraded to snack basket or "snack" in the last few years, most people will have had a banana or a minuscule cold plate at best. Not to mention, during peak season, more often then not, weather or ATC delays will further limit time people have to get any food in between flights.

Think about these ~10pm departures to Europe in the trial - even on a normal/on time day, anyone connecting from the eastern half of the country generally lands in IAD between 8:50-9:20pm (assuming on time), leaving almost no time to get food given the time the intl flights start boarding.

I'm not saying everyone would be stuck in that predicament, as I prefer the sensible option and will gladly take the earlier flight with hours to sit in the PL, but the vast majority of people simply take the quickest/most efficient routing (and then end up getting mad at UA when weather ruins the 60 minute connection they had in the middle of summer thunderstorm season and get to spend the night in IAD/EWR on their own dime )
BlueSky72 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
UA really just needs to take notes on how SQ manages dinner service on JFK-FRA. Cabin crew go to work crossing 10,000ft. A round of drinks with nuts is served shortly after, followed quickly by the appetizer. About 20' later the mains. And then an additional 15' later the dessert. Bed turned down 10' after that, full and asleep 75' after takeoff.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by raehl311
Confrimed this as part of the express service trial, or they're just doing away with those things system-wide?.
Just on the express trial from IAD.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree.

Originally Posted by SS255
The cheese is my favorite part of the meal service. Do you know if United will at least be making the cheese available mid-flight, as they currently do with the extra stock?
They will not. No cheese will be loaded.

Details here (my blog).
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Just another cost cutting measure framed as "changes you'll like". Typical UA playbook.
EWR764 and halls120 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LC757
Just another cost cutting measure framed as "changes you'll like". Typical UA playbook.
Of course, it's a cost cutting measure.

However, the cheese plate has long since been "enhanced" into oblivion - bad cheese served with three grapes and a package of celophane-wrapped crackers. No, thank you very much.

Most people I know either skip the breakfast or pick at it anyway. I usually just ask for some yogurt and coffee and maybe a cinnamon role (will they be the next to go?) and I'm all set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.