Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Mandatory Express Dining Service for East Coast TATL red-eye flights?
Is a good idea
40.77%
Prefer having a choice of regular or express
59.23%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mozilla
True of course, but this was a rebuttal against the point that meal (boarding/quantity/service) reductions seemed acceptable in light of a PL food offering on the ground before departure. On heavy traffic days or during network mayhem (like today), it is possible that multiple pax in J were not able to enjoy a PL meal even if they wanted to.
But United is not cutting any food at all, just putting it on the same plate.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
But United is not cutting any food at all, just putting it on the same plate.
Many seem to have missed that point.

UA's cutting of portion sizes is independent of (and predates) this trial.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
I get the mandatory express dining to get the cabin darker quick so people can get to sleep.

But it's a shame the new Polaris Lounge is not yet open at IAD as it could be pushed as a (better IMHO) replacement to the onboard food...think like what BA does for their evening F departing passengers.

I'd speculate the PL could offer better food options, better food quality, better booze , and so on than an in-the-air-offering from UA.
That would kind of make sense if dot bomb didn't keep trying to push me into 45-60 min connections. The shorter connection is great if you're not going to visit a lounge but you're not going to have an enjoyable dinner in the lounge in that timeframe.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
On a 7 hour late evening flight from IAD to these locations, it can be 2 hours before they get dinner served, cleaned up, and the lights turned down. Then as soon as 1.5 hours before landing they turn up the lights and try to serve breakfast. This leaves as little as 3.5 hours for decent sleep. Speeding up the first meal service on these flights is a good thing in my opinion.
seanp7, wrp96 and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
These flights are just getting airborne, but I'm told that the galley packing says there's only Apple Pie instead of the usual three deserts. No Cheese mentioned on the paperwork. Only fudge, caramel, and whipped cream for the ice cream. Both pre-arrival options are cold options. (I wasn't there, but I trust my source)

What was that about no cuts to the food again?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:09 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
That would kind of make sense if dot bomb didn't keep trying to push me into 45-60 min connections. The shorter connection is great if you're not going to visit a lounge but you're not going to have an enjoyable dinner in the lounge in that timeframe.
Yup. PL only works for those who have time to use it.

Originally Posted by fezzington
These flights are just getting airborne, but I'm told that the galley packing says there's only Apple Pie instead of the usual three deserts. No Cheese mentioned on the paperwork. Only fudge, caramel, and whipped cream for the ice cream. Both pre-arrival options are cold options. (I wasn't there, but I trust my source)
I wonder if there's a business opportunity for the alliances to offer decent arrival options in Europe for early AM arrivals akin to LH's Welcome Lounges. Same issues as using the PL's on the outbound (1. the lounge actually needs to exist, and 2. the traveler has to have enough time to use the facility) but if one could dine before and after the flight, one could ideally get wheels-up to wheels-down sleep.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Yup. PL only works for those who have time to use it.

I wonder if there's a business opportunity for the alliances to offer decent arrival options in Europe for early AM arrivals akin to LH's Welcome Lounges. Same issues as using the PL's on the outbound (1. the lounge actually needs to exist, and 2. the traveler has to have enough time to use the facility) but if one could dine before and after the flight, one could ideally get wheels-up to wheels-down sleep.
Doesn't LHR have an arrivals lounge for F/J pax from some airlines? PL at IAD and then LHR Arrivals wouldn't be awful.

Although, if your neighbor is eating away with their lights on bright and carrying loud conversations, it'd be hard to get a decent night's sleep, no matter what's in the amenity kits. And, as you mentioned, you have to have the time to use the lounges.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I’ll follow up with United on this. Which flight number was this?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Doesn't LHR have an arrivals lounge for F/J pax from some airlines? PL at IAD and then LHR Arrivals wouldn't be awful.
Yes they do. At T2 it’s for UA, AC and SA (only). And for covering the basics it’s very good (showers, decent breakfast including cooked). It closes at 2pm so it won’t work for the daytime flights and the second daily SFO, but for the red eyes it’s just fine.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

If confirmed, I am hopeful you'll author a blog post to highlight the obvious (shameless, and continuing) cost-cutting... with all the Polaris platitudes coming from the less-informed aviation media, seemingly on tape delay, it's important to keep shining light on the drumbeat of reductions to the Polaris soft product. There's some cognitive dissonance here as United is mostly fawned over elsewhere for its alleged "premium transformation."
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
If confirmed, I am hopeful you'll author a blog post to highlight the obvious (shameless, and continuing) cost-cutting... with all the Polaris platitudes coming from the less-informed aviation media, seemingly on tape delay, it's important to keep shining light on the drumbeat of reductions to the Polaris soft product. There's some cognitive dissonance here as United is mostly fawned over elsewhere for its alleged "premium transformation."
You can bet I will.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

mmmm hmmmm....I told y'all this would be the result.....and watch this become the standard systemwide....morning, noon, night, Europe or Asia. It will all be smaller portions, pre-plated, delivered on a tray by short-staffed crews, with commensurate reductions in portion size and choice. Good-bye midflight hot snacks, and goodbye to our old friend, the pre-arrival omelet.

Congratulations...you've been Kirby'd.

This will be an interesting process for crews - on one hand they will appreciate less cart work and faster meal service (like domestic F fast), on the other hand will they be embarrassed and humiliated to serve what amounts to a glorified domestic F/PS meal to people paying thousands for a ticket when they could have flown a better airline that takes better care of both passengers and crew?
UA_Flyer, EWR764, halls120 and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:32 pm

I'd love to hear corporate's reaction, but I won't share this information. I do not want to get crew members in trouble. Perhaps there was a board member onboard these flights that can confirm?
EWR764 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
mmmm hmmmm....I told y'all this would be the result.....and watch this become the standard systemwide....morning, noon, night, Europe or Asia. It will all be smaller portions, pre-plated, delivered on a tray by short-staffed crews, with commensurate reductions in portion size and choice. Good-bye midflight hot snacks, and goodbye to our old friend, the pre-arrival omelet.

Congratulations...you've been Kirby'd.

This will be an interesting process for crews - on one hand they will appreciate less cart work and faster meal service (like domestic F fast), on the other hand will they be embarrassed and humiliated to serve what amounts to a glorified domestic F/PS meal to people paying thousands for a ticket when they could have flown a better airline that takes better care of both passengers and crew?
Indeed a slippery slope.

I am surprised the poll here is so in the camp of this being a net negative.

Swiss seems to balance - one tray affair on the overnight but full meal on the day flights.

My favorite is still Air France at JFK - eat in the lounge and no meal boarded for you, those with no time get the service (which ultimately goes faster because so many eat it in the lounge)
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'd love to hear corporate's reaction, but I won't share this information. I do not want to get crew members in trouble. Perhaps there was a board member onboard these flights that can confirm?
Well, United confirmed this. I'll be updating my original piece to reflect this and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

No cheese, no choice of petit fours, no hot breakfast...

Now to confirm, hasn't IAD-FRA/LHR/LIS/DUB always had hot breakfast SINCE the Polaris transition in 12/2016? (I know it didn't before that...)
EWR764 and AeRoSpaceman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.