Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Mandatory Express Dining Service for East Coast TATL red-eye flights?
Is a good idea
40.77%
Prefer having a choice of regular or express
59.23%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
There's nothing new about this. AA has offered "express" service on just about every long haul J flight. You simply get it all at once rather than courses. Not exactly rocket science.
United offers [and has offered] this as well.
The difference here is that they will "express dine" the whole cabin, not just by individual request.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Oh, got it. I thought I read "optional". I think it makes sense in sub 8 hour flights across the Atlantic where sleep is at a premium. People are paying for the flat bed seat IMO, not the food. I like the idea of quicker service.

-RM
Isn't express service currently available by request? So the people who just want to eat and get to bed quickly can, but people who want the full service still get it. Sounds like UA trying to frame trimming back service as an "enhancement."
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I like this. I value sleep over food and food over slow service under the guise of good dining experience. In my experience with UA TPAC & TATL, the service is fairly brisk, although I always welcome making it even faster. The airline that really needs to implement this is LH. Horrendously slow service. I don't need to chew food slowly like a bovine & interact with teutonic flight attendants over a 2-3 hour period during dinner. I want to eat and sleep as much as possible, because once I arrive in Germany, I usually have another 7-9 hour flight. And the timing of the flights is such that it's difficult to sleep on one of those flights to begin with due to time-zone differences. So when sleep is ruined on the one you need to sleep on due to slow service, it results in my arriving at my destination nearly 24 hours later feeling totally exhausted from lousy sleep. (No, not eating is not an option since these are long flights.) I might as well fly coach and save a lot of money.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
But here is the counterpoint. When some wish to go to sleep due the short duration of the flight, they cannot...even if they order the express dining option. Why? Because the FAs make so much noise for the few in the cabin who want meal service drawn out. The lights plus noise make sleep impossible for me. Thus, it’s not so easy as saying make it optional and everyone is happy.
This is why eye masks and ear plugs are included in the amenity kit.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
He did the same thing at AA. The guy is only suited to run low cost carriers.

There's nothing wrong with making this optional for those who want it. Forcing it on everyone is... well... Kirby.
Not sure what you're referring to by "the same thing". AA does not do this on their late night international flights and never has. I wish they did. If there is a decent eating option on the ground in advance of the flight I'm all for making the "express" option mandatory. I usually ask for just the appetizer, salad and drink on a late flight, if that. Even if you opt for just an express service yourself, if they are still doing a full service for others, the activity level in the cabin makes it harder to settle down to sleep.

Moreover, if you care about jet lag you shouldn't be eating much of anything at the start of the flight anyway.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Isn't express service currently available by request? So the people who just want to eat and get to bed quickly can, but people who want the full service still get it. Sounds like UA trying to frame trimming back service as an "enhancement."
If you read further up-thread that's what my initial post was about and I got corrected. It's available by request but now this thread is about mandatory "express dining" on the flights listed in the original post.

-RM
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
AA already does this on their late night flight JFK-LHR. One tray with app+salad+entree. No express option as everyone is express. Works well as those flights are so short.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Are ear plugs/noise cancelling headphones and an eye mask not an option to avoid the noise/light?
That still doesn’t work for me. I wish it did. I doubt it works for many people with a bunch of clanking around them.
Miggles, trooper and thebakaronis like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Not a fan of this. Getting a few more minutes of sleep doesn’t outweigh an enjoyable meal.
I am not really sure how serving 2 courses rather than 3 harms the taste of the food.
EWR764, MatthewLAX, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Doesn't UA already offer this? It's been printed on the menus "forever". How is this new?

-RM
🙄
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:47 pm

Since I live in NoVa this would work fine for me. Eat dinner at home, then go to the airport. Dinner after 8:00pm is too late for me anyway and I nearly always skip it.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I’m totally in favor of this for all the reasons Matthew states.

Eye masks don’t help me sleep; they’re uncomfortable and keep me awake. Noise cancelling headphones help, but there’s also feeling the vibrations of FAs walking back and forth up and down the aisle and (though an all-Polaris fleet will eliminate it) your seat mate receiving and handing back their plates multiple times, often right over my head.

MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:32 pm

I value sleep on eastbound IAD-Europe redeyes and ask for the express option every time. Since the express dinner service is optional often the FAs forget that I asked for it. The breakfast service on those flights is more important than dinner IMHO. While eye shades and ear plugs help they don’t fully eliminate the sound of clinking dishes. Anything to get more quiet time and better sleep.

Different travelers have different needs so will be interesting to see the feedback on this test.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Ted
How cheap. I assume they will take this chance to cut a FA from business?
No, because they need that FA for the westbound daylight journey

Originally Posted by Kacee
No they already did that. This will just make things a bit easier for the overworked crews.
Totally Agreed

I also agree that it's a smart move on UAs part. People pay for J for the comfort when sleeping and sleep is scarce on the short TATLs.

Mrs. and I are actually odd-balls - we have a hard time sleeping on planes, even in J. We just pay for J for comfort and priority (it could help during IRROPS) and we don't mind the meal spread out, but like I said, we are in the minority.

As far as sleep masks and ear plugs, I work at night and wear one almost every day. I can still see light shine around the sides.

Would I be taking this too far to mention this as a possibility on the Trans-Cons EWR/BOS - SFO/LAX on ALL flights? These are business heavy routes and many people might prefer to spend an extra 30 minutes on being productive rather than waiting for the next course.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That still doesn’t work for me. I wish it did. I doubt it works for many people with a bunch of clanking around them.
Nor for me.
MatthewLAX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.