Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Mandatory Express Dining Service for East Coast TATL red-eye flights?
Is a good idea
40.77%
Prefer having a choice of regular or express
59.23%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by raehl311
Confrimed this as part of the express service trial, or they're just doing away with those things system-wide?

Because if it's optional, the lights are still on until everyone who selected non-express is done eating.

Personally, I don't need a meal on a 9-11 PM departure to Europe, I'll eat dinner beforehand. Have some decent snacks available and I'm good. Offer food in the PL lounge (at a more appropriate time for dinner) even better.

For those coming in on tight connections, if you're in paid J you almost certainly also had meal service on your incoming flight.
1. you have your eye mask - I can have my dinner and stay up as late as I want - not as late as others in the cabin dictate for me
2. maybe you don't need a meal, but it's possible others do
3. I don't consider a pack of potato chips and some candy a "meal" on my inbound connection that is either outside the distance or time frame for hot meal service, which Kirby already slashed - so now to accommodate your personal preference, I need to force a long connection so I can use the Polaris Lounge to have my dinner?

None of your points are fair to other customers.
halls120, rch4u, demkr and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
UA really just needs to take notes on how SQ manages dinner service on JFK-FRA. Cabin crew go to work crossing 10,000ft. A round of drinks with nuts is served shortly after, followed quickly by the appetizer. About 20' later the mains. And then an additional 15' later the dessert. Bed turned down 10' after that, full and asleep 75' after takeoff.

UA crews will never be able to provide the level of service as SQ/EY/EK. SQ has 2-3 more FAs on each plane, who spend double the amount in training than UA FAs. SQ's premium cabin positions are staffed by people with extra training, while a new hire UA FA can work anywhere on the plane, even the Purser position.
BlueSky72 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. you have your eye mask - I can have my dinner and stay up as late as I want - not as late as others in the cabin dictate for me
2. maybe you don't need a meal, but it's possible others do
3. I don't consider a pack of potato chips and some candy a "meal" on my inbound connection that is either outside the distance or time frame for hot meal service, which Kirby already slashed - so now to accommodate your personal preference, I need to force a long connection so I can use the Polaris Lounge to have my dinner?

None of your points are fair to other customers.
Well there's two separate issues here. If they are serving the same meal faster, you are losing nothing except symbolism. You can stay up as late as you want eating your meal.

On the other hand, if they are using this as a stalking horse to cut the meals, you are right.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Well there's two separate issues here. If they are serving the same meal faster, you are losing nothing except symbolism. You can stay up as late as you want eating your meal.

On the other hand, if they are using this as a stalking horse to cut the meals, you are right.
We've received confirmation that it's just that - a stalking horse to not just cut, but slash Polaris meal service. While others may not agree, I further suggest this will become the norm systemwide regardless of flight length - that Polaris inflight meal service will be cut to the point it's near par with domestic PS, and portions are near par with domestic F (with PS portions cut to match).

Here is my 12-18 month forecast - and by no means do I want to be right about this

1. appetizer salad size now matches domestic F with prepackaged cup dressing - basically a bowl of shredded dry cabbage similar to domestic F
2. one type of bread roll served on a tray with a packaged butter pat
3. choice of 3 hot entree items or a special meal (but say goodbye to our beloved Japanese bento set)
4. final course is a sundae served with a single serving of a small pasty item - no cheese, fruit or port
5. midflight hot snack is gone systemwide and only cold packaged junk food items served in a basket
6. pre-arrival is a cold snack plate (think cold cuts+cheese, noodle salad) or cereal depending on time of day and route

This is classic cocktail of Baldanza/Parker served with a twist of Escarra

The only thing left from the original Polaris will be the seat, mattress pads and gel pillow - I see pajamas going away systemwide as well
BlueSky72 and ATLintheair like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Fantastic news. More time to sleep, less time to serve food that I don't really need. Wish they would do this on the West Coast flights as well. Would prefer not to get up for ice cream sundae but I can live with that especially if it means less noise and light out faster.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Here is my 12-18 month forecast - and by no means do I want to be right about this

1. appetizer salad size now matches domestic F with prepackaged cup dressing - basically a bowl of shredded dry cabbage similar to domestic F
2. one type of bread roll served on a tray with a packaged butter pat
3. choice of 3 hot entree items or a special meal (but say goodbye to our beloved Japanese bento set)
4. final course is a sundae served with a single serving of a small pasty item - no cheese, fruit or port...
I've eaten lots of small pasty items in United front cabins over the years, and not only during dessert.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
No hot breakfast is simply pathetic. Polaris meal service is such a joke... Death by a million cuts indeed.
I knew when I saw UA was doing "express service" there would be cuts involved. Too predictable.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Slightly off-topic question. One of the purposes of this change is to increase the amount of time the cabin is dark, so people can sleep, correct?

I had a situation once where my seatmate (didn't know him) put his flatbed seat in sleep position and fell asleep, leaving the overhead light on. Even with a sleep mask on, I was aware his light was on and found it annoying that he didn't turn it off first. What's the etiquette on turning your seatmate's light off? If it's a smaller plane with the button overhead, it's no big deal, but on a flatbed seat, it takes very good aim to turn your own light off on the handset, much less your next door neighbor's. Can the FA turn the light off remotely?

It could be dicey if he wakes up just has you're reaching over....
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Can the FA turn the light off remotely?
On most planes, yes. Not everyone knows how (especially on "newer" planes like the 787) , so try the purser if the aisle FA doesn't.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Slightly off-topic question. One of the purposes of this change is to increase the amount of time the cabin is dark, so people can sleep, correct?

I had a situation once where my seatmate (didn't know him) put his flatbed seat in sleep position and fell asleep, leaving the overhead light on. Even with a sleep mask on, I was aware his light was on and found it annoying that he didn't turn it off first. What's the etiquette on turning your seatmate's light off? If it's a smaller plane with the button overhead, it's no big deal, but on a flatbed seat, it takes very good aim to turn your own light off on the handset, much less your next door neighbor's. Can the FA turn the light off remotely?

I think it's perfectly acceptable to reach over and switch off the overhead light if the other party has fallen asleep. In the off chance they should happen to wake up at the exact moment you do that, I would explain the situation accurately and say it seemed they fell asleep without realizing they left their light on.

This thread makes me feel better about how poor of a sleeper I am though. I have to be fully flat, have it dark, and only white noise to sleep. Yet I have no problem sleeping on flights with flatbed seats so long as there is an eye mask and either earplugs or headphones. Never had an issue with cabin noise or anything of that nature on an eastbound overnight flight.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
I think it's perfectly acceptable to reach over and switch off the overhead light if the other party has fallen asleep. In the off chance they should happen to wake up at the exact moment you do that, I would explain the situation accurately and say it seemed they fell asleep without realizing they left their light on.
+1
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:32 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club

Some of us have melatonin-related conditions that mean we have to sleep with the light on. Turning off one's neighbor's light is a selfish act which can make the person feel nauseous and ill for up to 12 hours or more. Perhaps those who do this don't mind having their neighbors vomit all over them..... eyemasks are your friend, but the person with the condition has no easy solution.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:36 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Returning to the question of express meal service, and speaking as one who prefers a more leisurely full service, if I know in advance that a flight will be making express dining compulsory, I will book a different one. I'd like to suggest that United indicate in the booking machine which flights have this restriction so that those who don't want it can book with confidence.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
Some of us have melatonin-related conditions that mean we have to sleep with the light on. Turning off one's neighbor's light is a selfish act which can make the person feel nauseous and ill for up to 12 hours or more. Perhaps those who do this don't mind having their neighbors vomit all over them..... eyemasks are your friend, but the person with the condition has no easy solution.
One learns something new about illness every day, but I don't believe there is any condition that compels someone to vomit all over a person sitting adjacent to them.

If I had the condition described above, I would certainly explain it to my seatmate, and to the FA to avoid the inadvertent de-illumination of my overhead light. I've seen FAs turn off those lights above sleeping pax many times, but fortunately, I've never seen the subsequent projectile vomiting.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by 1P
Sorry, I was unaware of this condition. Keeping the discussion to Polaris/lay flat seats, would the night light (if it is a seat with one) suffice for what you describe? Unless you tell the FA and your seatmate, it's possible that you may find yourself with the light off by a proactive FA anyway. Given the seriousness of your condition, do you ever bring a battery-powered light (like the type that attaches to a book)? Just wondering if there is a compromise solution that meets your needs as well as the passenger who needs a dark environment to sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.