Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Mandatory Express Dining Service for East Coast TATL red-eye flights?
Is a good idea
40.77%
Prefer having a choice of regular or express
59.23%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Often1
This benefits all passengers, not just those who want a quicker meal. While it cuts the service from 3 to 2 rounds, it cuts the use of carts from 3 to 1 and that 1 is early in the flight. This means that people who want the sleep, one of the primary reasons they pay for J, get to sleep. Eyeshades and the like don't make up much for the noise caused by the carts, dishes clanging and conversations between FA's and passengers.

It's just a trial, so we'll have to see if it works out. But, I'm not sure why this leads to the standard frothing about "cheap" because nothing changes. This service won't cost UA less.
I don’t see how it benefits all passengers. Yes, I agree about the noise, lights, sleeping, etc., but if UA goes to this as a norm, not just on late night flights, it does cheapen the experience physically if not economically. Essentially it makes J into Y with a bed.” Here’s your one tray meal, plop on the tray table. We’ll grab you dessert from the galley if you really insist. Of course, we’ll still pretend it’s a premium service, and charge correspondingly for it.” A lot of people do enjoy the whole multi-course, more personalized service.

As for cost, if it is forced out as the norm, it will save. Making biz essentially coach for service, you just need FA’s to run the meals out, drop them off, and then they can be reassigned to help in Y. Essentially this is what happens in domestic First. So maybe one or two fewer FA’s can result - even one less will add up. Preplating saves and speeds up catering by not having to load and buy/carry/clean the extra plates. Need more room on that crowded tray? Smaller plates - that hold less product and save pennies here and there (remember the classic AA tale of removing one love and saving thousands). Bread catering can be cut as you could just serve a (one) roll on the tray. Dessert costs may drop because when it’s not dragged along the aisle fewer people may order it. Liquor/wine costs may drop because in a shortened meal service there will potentially less demand, at least for refills. They may even eliminate linens on the tray table (saves a step and no laundering cost)...what’s on the plastic is “good enough”, something which should appeal to management.

Make no mistake, UA wouldn’t be trying this out if they didn’t think they’d shave a few dollars off expenses, no mattter how loudly they pretend it’s to enhance your trip.
halls120, AeRoSpaceman and cmd320 like this.

Last edited by ATLintheair; Mar 31, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by ATLintheair
I don’t see how it benefits all passengers. Yes, I agree about the noise, lights, sleeping, etc., but if UA goes to this as a norm, not just on late night flights, it does cheapen the experience physically if not economically. Essentially it makes J into Y with a bed.” Here’s your one tray meal, plop on the tray table. We’ll grab you dessert from the galley if you really insist. Of course, we’ll still pretend it’s a premium service, and charge correspondingly for it.” A lot of people do enjoy the whole multi-course, more personalized service.

As for cost, if it is forced out as the norm, it will save. Making biz essentially coach for service, you just need FA’s to run the meals out, drop them off, and then they can be reassigned to help in Y. Essentially this is what happens in domestic First. So maybe one or two fewer FA’s can result - even one less will add up. Preplating saves and speeds up catering by not having to load and buy/carry/clean the extra plates. Need more room on that crowded tray? Smaller plates - that hold less product and save pennies here and there (remember the classic AA tale of removing one love and saving thousands). Bread catering can be cut as you could just serve a (one) roll on the tray. Dessert costs may drop because when it’s not dragged along the aisle fewer people may order it. Liquor/wine costs may drop because in a shortened meal service there will potentially less demand, at least for refills. They may even eliminate linens on the tray table (saves a step and no laundering cost)...what’s on the plastic is “good enough”, something which should appeal to management.

Make no mistake, UA wouldn’t be trying this out if they didn’t think they’d shave a few dollars off expenses, no mattter how loudly they pretend it’s to enhance your trip.
i fly TPAC regularly and east coast to EU occasionally. Given the drawn out meal serving time and the short flight time, unless I utilize express dine, I just don’t get enough sleep. In particular UK or Ireland flights are even shorter.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Soup? On United?
As pointed out, it was in GF. I was once asked the difference between GF and BF and my answer was "$10,000 and soup. It's very good soup."

Many years ago, they had soup in J, before j was even J. I vividly remember one flight where someone thought tomato soup was a good idea. It may be, but tomato soup and turbulence is a very bad idea indeed.

Back to the topic at hand, I have no problem with making express dine the default. I think making it mandatory somewhat cheapens the experience.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Makes sense to me. Not sure if it should be mandatory. Would prefer if UA had a meal choice option like AA that could include this express service. That said, I like that they're trying this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I would not have a problem with this if there was a Polaris lounge at IAD or if the food were of better quality, but it seems most likely given UA's history to just be an occasion for them to cheapen the experience.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I would not have a problem with this if there was a Polaris lounge at IAD or if the food were of better quality, but it seems most likely given UA's history to just be an occasion for them to cheapen the experience.
The real cost cuts associated with this concept would come if UA starts provisioning fewer meals in Polaris cabins once the IAD PL is in operation, like BA and AF with their respective “sleeper” services. If you dine in the lounge, you won’t be offered the main meal once airborne. As I understand it, the BA/AF J cabins on flights where the preflight dining service is offered are catered to a lower % as a rule, and meals will actually be offloaded (or canceled) if a higher volume of passengers eat in the lounge. I’m not certain of how exactly it works on the catering side, but from the passenger’s perspective, it’s a noticeably quieter cabin environment on those flights.

I don’t want to give UA any ideas, but no doubt they are well aware of their competitors’ dining programs.
ATLintheair likes this.

Last edited by EWR764; Mar 31, 2019 at 8:55 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
For BA out of IAD, I’ve never had a problem getting full dinner service even when I’ve had a snack in CW dining first. Many people do not eat on board, so I’m sure they provision accordingly but don’t seem to overdo it.

AF out of IAD only had full dining in the lounge for F. They may have provisioned for less than everyone eating, but not on account of the lounge. Maybe their new lounge will be different.

Trust UA to err on to err on the cheap side, though. They’ve been reducing quality for the food, beverage and service in Polaris since they rolled it out.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Here’s hoping they add UA950 (IAD-BRU) to the list before 5/23. I booked PDX-LHR today and got a cheap Premium Plus fare via IAD and BRU, and the GPU just cleared. It’s on a 772 so it’ll be full lights on for the meal.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:58 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
For BA out of IAD, I’ve never had a problem getting full dinner service even when I’ve had a snack in CW dining first. Many people do not eat on board, so I’m sure they provision accordingly but don’t seem to overdo it.

AF out of IAD only had full dining in the lounge for F. They may have provisioned for less than everyone eating, but not on account of the lounge. Maybe their new lounge will be different.
I think the UA PL's are key to making this work from the east coast, and arguably IAH / ORD too. Wish it was already online at IAD.

I'd guess higher quality food and beverage can be offered for less cost in a dedicated dining facility and kitchen than onboard. Said another way, assuming one had the time at the PL, who would not want to eat dinner there vs onboard? Sure you still need to cater the flight for those who get hungry or don't have time to stop in the PL, but the idea of dining on the ground prior to an evening Europe flight strikes me as a better option if one has the time. $0.02.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:30 am

You can't rely on PL food always being an option for the pax. A meeting may run late - or traffic is very bad - and you'll arrive at the airport and have at most time for a quick bite from the buffet. Or you're connecting and the domestic inbound has 1+ hour of delay and you have only a few minutes to catch the INTL outbound.
greg99 and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

Trust UA to err on to err on the cheap side, though. They’ve been reducing quality for the food, beverage and service in Polaris since they rolled it out.
I haven't done the preflight dining bit at IAD but sampled both out of JFK and in each case (BA/AF) on their dedicated sleeper-service routes, J pax are marked off if they enter the lounge dining area and are not proactively offered meal service on board. At least for me, I wasn't interested in eating 2h or so later in the midst of a short eastbound redeye, but I don't doubt the crew would put something together for hungry pax even if a meal was taken in the lounge. I wouldn't be pleased if UA moved to this model.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I think it makes more sense in places where they have the polaris lounge, but in general, I prefer the fast meal (or no meal) and sleep.

Its not like the "food" UA serves is actually some gastronomic experience where you want to savor each morsel while they trundle down the aisle slowly. And even worse than the dinner service, waking people up 90 mins (or longer) prior to landing, for "breakfast" when they just ate <3 hours ago is ridiculous. Even the EWR-TLV flights (at least the late one), the breakfast service is a bit early and they make a racket with all the clanging in the galleys.

Eastbound I'd rather skip the alcohol(and the onboard meal), take an ambien and get a great sleep rather than experience sub-food-court quality food at a glacial pace.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mozilla
You can't rely on PL food always being an option for the pax.
Luckily, I don't think anyone is advocating that all on-board food service be eliminated.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
Luckily, I don't think anyone is advocating that all on-board food service be eliminated.
True of course, but this was a rebuttal against the point that meal (boarding/quantity/service) reductions seemed acceptable in light of a PL food offering on the ground before departure. On heavy traffic days or during network mayhem (like today), it is possible that multiple pax in J were not able to enjoy a PL meal even if they wanted to.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by GMoneyCO
LH does this on their late night departures from India (~3:30am). Personally I like it; on the ~9hr flight from Bangalore or Mumbai to Frankfurt I want to get as much sleep as I can. FWIW Bangalore is served by the 3-class 748 and has less than stellar food options in the shared Plaza Premium lounge. Mumbai has much better lounge food options but are not what I would consider comparable to a Polaris lounge.
The food is just fine at the Plaza lounge ... that, and I don't really feel like eating a full meal at 3:30a.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.