Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

View Poll Results: Mandatory Express Dining Service for East Coast TATL red-eye flights?
Is a good idea
40.77%
Prefer having a choice of regular or express
59.23%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

United Will Trial Mandatory New Express Dining Service Concept In Business Class

Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by villox

because it won’t be optional. Everybody in Polaris would receive express dining.
Oh, got it. I thought I read "optional". I think it makes sense in sub 8 hour flights across the Atlantic where sleep is at a premium. People are paying for the flat bed seat IMO, not the food. I like the idea of quicker service.

-RM
BeanTownBoy and phkc070408 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Not a fan of this. Getting a few more minutes of sleep doesn’t outweigh an enjoyable meal.
1P and cmd320 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Not a fan of this. Getting a few more minutes of sleep doesn’t outweigh an enjoyable meal.
It can easily save 45 minutes to an hour. Sometimes the multi-course service can be positively glacial. And I don't really see the big deal of having appetizer, salad, and entree served on the same plate. It's not like this is fine dining. If I'm eating on an a UA flight, it's purely for sustenance.

This change also means FAs blocking the aisles with carts for a shorter period of time.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CALMSP
it'd be better yet if they offered on-demand dining rather than force everyone to eat at one time.
That was already an option -- one intent of the trial appears to be to test that idea the many will prefer the new system and that those wanting to get the most sleep will not be disturbed by the later meal service.
There will never by 100% agreement on this but appears UA is testing to see if there is a strong preference for this on these short flights.

There does seem to be some support in this thread but there will be some preferring the previous way. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The preference of the many vs the preference of the few. We just don't know which is which.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Ah yes, another "brilliant" idea from Kirby

I want my dining service done properly, served from a cart. UA, and before it, CO, offered an express option for those that want everything at once so they can rest, while those who don't could still have the service offered properly.

This is just a pretext to further dumb-down the Polaris product under the phony guise of improving efficiency. Watch for the other shoe to drop. How are we suppose to order dessert if we can't even see the options? I assume a cold roll will be dumped on the tray instead of being served from a basket.

For those who want express dining, just request it.
rch4u, 82Ag, truncated and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Ah yes, another "brilliant" idea from Kirby
He did the same thing at AA. The guy is only suited to run low cost carriers.

There's nothing wrong with making this optional for those who want it. Forcing it on everyone is... well... Kirby.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sometimes the multi-course service can be positively glacial.
And THAT is a problem that needs to be solved. Forcing everyone into an abridged version (especially at a gateway that doesn't have a Polaris lounge as someone else pointed out) is not the answer.

A few years ago I had an SFO to Narita flight where the dinner service had the last of the plates collected 4 hours to the minute from when we took off - on a ~9 hour flight. Other airlines can manage to have the entire dining experience completed within ~90 minutes from take-off on shorter long-haul flights - there's no reason UA shouldn't be able too.

That said, I have to give United props for their existing Executive Dining option. Whilst most carrier do have something similar, in many cases it skips the main course and just gives the appetizer/salad/dessert but no main. My only real issue with the existing Executive Dining is that it makes it difficult to get the dessert (timing wise) which this new scheme might overcome.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Enjoyable meal... on United?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
He did the same thing at AA. The guy is only suited to run low cost carriers.

There's nothing wrong with making this optional for those who want it. Forcing it on everyone is... well... Kirby.
But here is the counterpoint. When some wish to go to sleep due the short duration of the flight, they cannot...even if they order the express dining option. Why? Because the FAs make so much noise for the few in the cabin who want meal service drawn out. The lights plus noise make sleep impossible for me. Thus, it’s not so easy as saying make it optional and everyone is happy.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by docbert
Other airlines can manage to have the entire dining experience completed within ~90 minutes from take-off on shorter long-haul flights - there's no reason UA shouldn't be able too.
It's staffing and training. UA has been poor at the latter for many years. Combine that with the recent staffing cuts and it will be a rare crew indeed that's able to serve the entire J cabin quickly. Even CX, which has fantastically well trained FAs, now suffers from painfully slow meal service in J due to their staffing cuts.

I'm obviously squarely in the camp of "just slop it out there and get it over with."
MatthewLAX and ATLintheair like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:00 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
I get the mandatory express dining to get the cabin darker quick so people can get to sleep.

But it's a shame the new Polaris Lounge is not yet open at IAD as it could be pushed as a (better IMHO) replacement to the onboard food...think like what BA does for their evening F departing passengers.

I'd speculate the PL could offer better food options, better food quality, better booze , and so on than an in-the-air-offering from UA.
coolbeans202, EWR764 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Because the FAs make so much noise for the few in the cabin who want meal service drawn out. The lights plus noise make sleep impossible for me. Thus, it’s not so easy as saying make it optional and everyone is happy.
Are ear plugs/noise cancelling headphones and an eye mask not an option to avoid the noise/light?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
. . . . How are we suppose to order dessert if we can't even see the options? . . . .
Reminds me of an overnight flight on DL, from ATL to SCL (Santiago de Chile). I requested the Delta version of express dining, to maximize the sleep. They didn't ask me what dessert I wanted, and instead gave me all three dessert choices on an already crowded tray! Needless to say, I had to skip most of the three desserts, as otherwise the sugar high would have kept me awake...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2019 at 5:42 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I welcome the ideas on routes from EWR/IAD to Europe. I usually just want to have a quick meals and go to sleep so I can be as fresh and awake as possible when I arrive.

This is a plus for business travelers from East Coast to Europe.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
There's nothing new about this. AA has offered "express" service on just about every long haul J flight. You simply get it all at once rather than courses. Not exactly rocket science.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.