Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Odd near rejection at MXP lounge (contract agent did not know what GS was)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium

Went to the lounge at MXP with the wife and family. The check in agent said it would be OK as a GS for the 4 of us to go in. I know usually star gold is one guest but check in said no problem. Got to the lounge and was told that if I was 1K I could bring in up to 8 guests (OK, sounds weird) but she said he sheet said nothing about GS. They let us in anyway, but it's kind of odd that they have no clue what a GS is.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: united
Well maybe if you continue to fly frequently on UA they will eventually reward you with 1K status.
SFO777, IAD_flyer, LAXOGG and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:40 am
Original Poster

I know it was a contract lounge person because my joke about flying to often that I overshot 1k last year went over her head.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: UA GS
Sounds like a case of the local station management misinterpreting the benefit that allows a 1k to have 8 E+ companions. Not surprised then that they didn’t know how to apply the “rule”.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
The MXP lounge is a contract lounge. Normally they just use a lounge invitation card, did the UA check in agent not write down the guests on that?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:14 am
Original Poster

They don't give invites for MXP - just a sticker on my boarding pass with the name.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by gldwebs
They don't give invites for MXP - just a sticker on my boarding pass with the name.
Interesting. In my experience both SQ and TK give out invites at MXP, although the lounge dragons do generally let you in without it. Hadn’t flown UA out of MXP in a year or two.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Went to the lounge at MXP ...., but it's kind of odd that they have no clue what a GS is.
Why would you expect a contract lounge agent serving dozens of carriers know about a program level barely mentioned on UA's website? That's why they have the reference sheet. The problem was the reference sheet.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:37 pm

The check in agent said it would be OK as a GS for the 4 of us to go in. I know usually star gold is one guest but check in said no problem. Got to the lounge and was told that if I was 1K I could bring in up to 8 guests (OK, sounds weird) but she said he sheet said nothing about GS.
Is there any place that discusses these exceptional *Gold lounge policies? I know for instance that UA and NH elites can access LH lounges on any EuroWings fare. I'm presently in the process of compiling a comprehensive *lounge guide for FT and would appreciate any direction.

Cheers,

James
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Is there any place that discusses these exceptional *Gold lounge policies? I know for instance that UA and NH elites can access LH lounges on any EuroWings fare. I'm presently in the process of compiling a comprehensive *lounge guide for FT and would appreciate any direction.s
I think most of it is outlined here:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
I think most of it is outlined here:

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
The problem is that only points out the obvious rules & regs. I'm looking for the stuff that ain't obvious like the EuroWings lounge access for UA Golds or being able to guest multiple passengers at contract lounges. There's a lot of stuff missing from the *A website regarding lounges that needs to be filled in for the frequent * flyer to maximize their value!

-James
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is the published policy and, has always been the case, provides for one guest for *G. For a UA elite, that is anyone holding Gold or better.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Why would you expect a contract lounge agent serving dozens of carriers know about a program level barely mentioned on UA's website? That's why they have the reference sheet. The problem was the reference sheet.
really?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

really?
Really! Having been to a couple of contract lounges I can assure you that this is the case. For instance whilst in DPS I used the * contract lounge for SQ for my flight back to SIN and here was all the different ways you can get in:

Multiply that by the number of partner airlines you can be a elite flyer with (i.e. UA in my case flying SQ) and it should be no surprise really that the agents don't know the nuances of the dozens of programs they support. And that's saying nothing of the other possibilities that occur when you start mixing fare classes and status to say nothing of the edge cases that could get you in.

-James
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

really?
The MXP lounge serves essentially every single carrier flying non-Schengen. That's a heck of a lot of programs to learn. That's why most contract lounges just use the lounge invitations--let the check in agent know the lounge access rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.