Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

60 FA's approved to relocate to HNL - expansion?

Old Mar 29, 19, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

60 FA's have just been approved to relocate their base to HNL - many of whom have been on this list for many years (Like 20+). I'm wondering if they will continue to expand out of HNL or decrease mainland flying FA's from these routes.......

(I've seen the names - and the list - and know a person on the list who was surprised to be on the list)
Old Mar 29, 19, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
60 FA's have just been approved to relocate their base to HNL - many of whom have been on this list for many years (Like 20+). I'm wondering if they will continue to expand out of HNL or decrease mainland flying FA's from these routes.......

(I've seen the names - and the list - and know a person on the list who was surprised to be on the list)
Did you mean to say “60 years old” FAs to HNL base?
Happy travel!
Old Mar 29, 19, 5:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't think an expansion is in the works. There was a similar GUM transfer in October, and no real expansion of flying there.

60 are approved, but they all have a week to accept (or deny) so we'll see how many actually take it. If it's similar to GUM's numbers in October/November, it'll be close to 15-20 actually making the move this round.

FWIW, it sounds like the list went to about ~20 years of SW Seniority.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Mar 29, 19, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
It would be nice if there were to be an expansion at HNL. I'd love to see more UA service ex-HNL to smaller cities in Japan, MNL, and especially a return of the CO Micronesia service to CNS!
Old Mar 29, 19, 8:49 am

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by Boofer View Post
It would be nice if there were to be an expansion at HNL. I'd love to see more UA service ex-HNL to smaller cities in Japan, MNL, and especially a return of the CO Micronesia service to CNS!
And Australia. I have a cousin in Northern CA who flies HA from the USA to Australia via Hawaii and always stops over for a couple of days in Hawaii.

My first flights to the USA from Australia always stopped over in HNL. 🏖
LIH likes this.
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
FWIW, it sounds like the list went to about ~20 years of SW Seniority.
Just curious, what is "SW Seniority"?

David
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
UA has apparently decided that it's cheaper to reposition some (additional) FAs to HNL and GUM, including any impacts on reliability of operations.
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:27 pm

I think it's a budget/efficiency move. Might result in fewer HNL crew hotel rooms and easier to staff IRROPs. A couple of years ago we were on Maui delayed a couple of hours for a replacement crew member to fly in from mainland to work outgoing flight. A whole bunch of connections were missed. Easier to fly someone in from HNL.
Old Mar 29, 19, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee View Post

David
System Wide
Old Mar 29, 19, 2:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by clubord View Post

System Wide
Implying across both former sUA and former sCO FA pools - but is there a non-"System-Wide" pool/group?

David
Old Mar 29, 19, 2:43 pm

Implying across both former sUA and former sCO FA pools - but is there a non-"System-Wide" pool/group?

David
It’s for all FAs regardless if one was from CO or UA. The first round of transfers to HNL had some former CO FAs in them. Iirc they were originally HNL based but transferred stateside after the HNL base closed. X amount of years later they are back in HNL.
Old Mar 29, 19, 4:21 pm

Programs: Due to current work travel patterns just A-List with WN - and that's enough!

David
Originally Posted by clubord View Post

System Wide
No. It is an ancient UA abbreviation for the inflight department. All departments had two-letter codes. SW was for the "stewardess" dep't when they were called that. (I was not kidding when I said it was ancient.) FO was for pilots (Flight Officers), etc.

It is usually coupled with a geographic location and would designate things like an employee's work location, internal mail delivery, etc.
So for example, Chicago-based F/As would be at "ORDSW."

(I worked at UA a couple of lives - and decades - ago. I am surprised to see that is still being used, especially post-CO-merger.)
Old Mar 29, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: Due to current work travel patterns just A-List with WN - and that's enough!
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I would guess it is more to offset natural attrition. HNL has historically been UA's most senior F/A base, especially since they did a big downsizing there in the late 1990s / early 2000s, so they are probably back-filling due to retirements.
Old Mar 29, 19, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
No. It is an ancient UA abbreviation for the inflight department. All departments had two-letter codes. SW was for the "stewardess" dep't when they were called that. (I was not kidding when I said it was ancient.) FO was for pilots (Flight Officers), etc.

It is usually coupled with a geographic location and would designate things like an employee's work location, internal mail delivery, etc.
So for example, Chicago-based F/As would be at "ORDSW."

(I worked at UA a couple of lives - and decades - ago. I am surprised to see that is still being used, especially post-CO-merger.)
Thanks. Makes sense, especially since a pilot gave me his business card which said UAFO on it in the place where you would expect to see a job title or department.