Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking in with QF 1st segment MEL-SYD continuing on UA SYD-SFO -- all on UA ticket

Checking in with QF 1st segment MEL-SYD continuing on UA SYD-SFO -- all on UA ticket

Old Mar 28, 19, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K AC: 50K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Gold

I am going to be flying MEL-SYD-SFO next week with the MEL-SYD segment on QF on the same UA ticket. Will I be able to check in at T-24 for the SYD-SFO segment using the UA app or will I have to checkin at the airport? The reason I am asking is because I have a GPU waitlisted on a M fare on SYD-SFO with J2 and would like to optimize the only thing I can control (checkin time) to keep my close-to-zero odds at nonzero.
Old Mar 28, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Based on my experience, you will not be able to check in with UA online/using the app.

You will be able to check-in with QF, but that will only check you in for the MEL-SYD leg. Once you get to SYD you'll need to catch the bus to the international terminal (departs airside in the Qantas domestic terminal, but drops you landside at international), go to the UA check-in desk and they will check you in. (You may be able to check-in online once the QF flight departs, but I don't think I've ever tried)

If you have bags, QF WILL check them all the way through, just be sure to show the baggage tag to the UA check-in staff.

If you DON'T have bags, be sure to print out a copy of your itinerary (or have it readily available on your phone) as you'll likely need it to board the bus between terminals. If you've checked bags they will be OK with you just showing the baggage tags that show you're connecting to an international flight.
expressboy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 9:39 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by expressboy View Post
I am going to be flying MEL-SYD-SFO next week with the MEL-SYD segment on QF on the same UA ticket. Will I be able to check in at T-24 for the SYD-SFO segment using the UA app or will I have to checkin at the airport? The reason I am asking is because I have a GPU waitlisted on a M fare on SYD-SFO with J2 and would like to optimize the only thing I can control (checkin time) to keep my close-to-zero odds at nonzero.
While not officially allowed, you might have a shot at SDC if a 016 ticket. If at exactly 24 hours before, you could theoretically SDC, then re-waitlist yourself on MEL-LAX-SFO, but depending on which day you're going, may be equally screwed. Again, depending on the day, may be worth paying a change fee for MEL-LAX-SFO or MEL-NZ-AKL-UA-SFO. But kinda hard to say as next week is pretty chockers.
expressboy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: UA GS; Hilton Lifetime Diamond; AMEX Plat; Hertz Pres
I had this same situation last month. I was able to check in with QF, which checked me in with United. (BTW - the BPs showed my QF FF# on the QF segement and my UA FF# on the UA segments, which was nice).
expressboy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I will try this and report back next week.
Old Mar 28, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer View Post
I had this same situation last month. I was able to check in with QF, which checked me in with United. (BTW - the BPs showed my QF FF# on the QF segement and my UA FF# on the UA segments, which was nice).
Nice! The last time I did QF->UA was a bit over a year ago, and this definitely wasn't the case then so perhaps they've improved it (or maybe my visa status got in the way?)

I did UA->QF last September and also didn't get checked in for QF until I got to Sydney.
Old Apr 3, 19, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Just reporting back on this. Like oregonflyer said, I was able to checkin with QF but was not able to get my BP. But the QF checkin process seemed to have successfully put me on the UA flight and the upgrade list. After getting to the airport I was able to get the BPs printed for both the QF and UA segments.
Old Apr 3, 19, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expressboy View Post
Just reporting back on this. Like oregonflyer said, I was able to checkin with QF but was not able to get my BP. But the QF checkin process seemed to have successfully put me on the UA flight and the upgrade list. After getting to the airport I was able to get the BPs printed for both the QF and UA segments.
did you get upgrade?
Old Apr 3, 19, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Nope. Looking very unlikely that I will get it unless someone fails to check in.
​​​
Old Apr 3, 19, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
almost all of the interline partners with UA has the capability of thru check-in with UA. Usually the success rate is quite high, meaning once you check in with partners, your UA segment is automatically/successfully checked in. If not, your partner airline should be able to tell you the thru check-in didn't work.