Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Odd boarding process in DEN for 777 - simultaneous BG1 (Door 1L) & BG2 (Door 2L)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd boarding process in DEN for 777 - simultaneous BG1 (Door 1L) & BG2 (Door 2L)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am 1K so was able to get my carryon in the overhead in the first row of Y on Sunday for my ORD-LHR flight. My neighbor who boarded a while after me (BG 3 I believe) was unable to get her carryon in an overhead anywhere near her seat as people behind us used the overhead above our seats and opposite our seats. I had tried to point out to people that my seating companion would have no where to put their carryon and personal item (and as a bulkhead row there was no underseat storage) but the third person I made the comment to just ignored me. Fortunately the FA put her carryon and personal item a few rows in front of her seat on the other side of the plane.

Those in BG 2 struggled to find somewhere to put their carryon. We boarded in BG order (although I did pre-board).

If I were in BG1 and BG2 were able to access the overhead before me then my carryon would have been no where near me. Why have BGs if there is no advantage in BG1? May as well have a free for all.

DEN failed abysmally in the boarding for the flight in the OP.
Separate point but there should be far more done about people with seats in the back who put carryons in forward overhead bins early in the boarding process. (Obviously, at the tail end, it is different- you take any spot left.)
coolbeans202 and BBSHOPSINGER like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am 1K so was able to get my carryon in the overhead in the first row of Y on Sunday for my ORD-LHR flight. My neighbor who boarded a while after me (BG 3 I believe) was unable to get her carryon in an overhead anywhere near her seat as people behind us used the overhead above our seats and opposite our seats. I had tried to point out to people that my seating companion would have no where to put their carryon and personal item (and as a bulkhead row there was no underseat storage) but the third person I made the comment to just ignored me. Fortunately the FA put her carryon and personal item a few rows in front of her seat on the other side of the plane.

Those in BG 2 struggled to find somewhere to put their carryon. We boarded in BG order (although I did pre-board).

If I were in BG1 and BG2 were able to access the overhead before me then my carryon would have been no where near me. Why have BGs if there is no advantage in BG1? May as well have a free for all.

DEN failed abysmally in the boarding for the flight in the OP.
Aussie,
i dont think anything was abysmal in the denver situation, what i think is abysmal is UA or any carrier for that matter should stage F/As thru out the cabin so that if they see passengers putting carryons in the front then heading to the back of the plane will intercept those that do that and request they continue to the section they are seated with their carryons.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by cosflyer
Aussie,
i dont think anything was abysmal in the denver situation, what i think is abysmal is UA or any carrier for that matter should stage F/As thru out the cabin so that if they see passengers putting carryons in the front then heading to the back of the plane will intercept those that do that and request they continue to the section they are seated with their carryons.
At first I thought this was a pipe dream, but then remembered that the old US Air shuttle actually did this! A FA (usually a taller male) would stand right at the boundary between F and E, and would keep people from putting stuff in the F bins if they were seated in E, and I remember hearing/seeing them tell passengers seated near the back that they had to take their bag with them and could not put it above the first few rows of E.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
this happens a lot on transcon flights with 78J.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
But what the OP was getting at is having a convergence of groups at the L2 door itself from both inside and outside of the aircraft so that turbulent flow ensued.

David
Exactly.

There's plenty of good ways to use both doors. The situation described by OP is not one of them.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Is there ever laminar flow in a boarding situation?
Not UA?

David
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by fezzington
Exactly.

There's plenty of good ways to use both doors. The situation described by OP is not one of them.
Indeed. UA could easily just set a different policy for all two-door boarding: First/Business through 1L, and the standard as it exists now through 2L.
drewguy and fezzington like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:37 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Also at LAX, but they did not board both group 1 and 2 concurrently. Instead, they asked folks with seats in farther aisle (crossovers) to go through door 1, and folks with nearer aisle to go through door 2. Much cleaner that way without the merging nightmare.
My preferred method, Even though the announcement is made every single minute, I'd say more than 50% of the people don't understand it. When I use this method, we direct the people (A-E) to the right door) and (F-L) thru the left door after scanning as no amount of announcements will get a majority to understand which door to go to. Despite the confusion it shaves 5-15 min off the boarding time, and it allows us to close door 2 earlier (the 2nd bridge needs to be removed 1st) leaving maybe the last 25 passengers, regardless of where they are sitting to board thru door 1 as door 2 is closed. It also frees up a flight attendant at door 2 to assist with PDB. The person you quoted reEN said they merge onto 1 jetbridge, vs 2 aircraft doors, so not quite the same

DenverBrian, on the 777 with the newest config, Polaris goes significantly past door 2, and the future PE is even farther. Having Polaris go thru door 1 is not efficient for those in the back part of the extended cabin either *although I have used this method as well, it's not near as efficient for all as A-E thru door 2, all else crossover at door 1.)
nnn and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Not UA?

David
actually the more I think about it, boarding is usually laminar. Turbulent flow becomes more likely as velocity increases and well...
Boofer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by fastair
DenverBrian, on the 777 with the newest config, Polaris goes significantly past door 2, and the future PE is even farther. Having Polaris go thru door 1 is not efficient for those in the back part of the extended cabin either *although I have used this method as well, it's not near as efficient for all as A-E thru door 2, all else crossover at door 1.)
Ah, understood.

So, left side of the plane through 2L and right side through 1L. I assume that would work as long as you had BG1 and BG2 signs and cattle chutes at both doors; you just have to tell people to look at their boarding pass and if it is a seat ABCDE, please go to door 2, and FGHJKL-Z (because you just know UA is trying to figure out 11-across seating at some point), board through door 1.

Doesn't help the poor guy in 1A at all.

So maybe it's row letters combined with Polaris. Tell your Polaris folks they should board through door 1 if they are in rows 1-8 (or whatever the last row is before door 2); everyone else, A-E through door 1, F-Z through door 2.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:32 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I've experienced this on ORD-PEK a few years back, before 1Ks preboarded. They started boarding Group 1 through Door 1 and Group 2 (followed by other groups) through Door 2. Between F, J, 1K, and platinum, almost exactly half the plane was in Group 1. The tail end of Group 1 -- which included me (had to get my passport checked at the last minute) -- boarded at the same time as Group 4.

I appreciate the desire to be more efficient. But early boarding is a defined privilege of certain ticket classes and status classes, and screwing up the system so that those folks board with Group 4 is not cool.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by threeoh
The method stated in the OP is an inconvenience to Plat and Gold Y pax, but not to anyone else, right?
Well, as a Gold Y passenger, yes. It was a huge inconvenience. I'll also point out that there are an awful lot of Plat and Gold Y pax on a DEN-SFO 777...

I applaud their attempt to use two doors, though. Unfortunately I think the main bottleneck is in the aisles, not at the door(s), so not sure it really speeds things up compared to just boarding everyone through L2.
We did the right-side-through-L1 thing that Fastair and others describe on my outbound leg out of SFO (also a 777), and it *was* a lot more efficient.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
FWIW, I mentioned it in my "how did we do?" response, and did get a (form) reply...

Dear Mr. danM:

We appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts about our services.

We're sorry our products didn't meet your needs, and your comments are very helpful to us in understanding how to improve your travel experience.

We look forward to working toward the suggestions you've mentioned, and to welcoming you aboard your next flight. Thank you for your MileagePlus Premier Gold loyalty and business.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I had something similar at SFO - they were boarding the early groups through 1L at the same time they were boarding group 1 through 2L - regardless of cabin, meaning anyone in the preboarding group in economy was swimming against anyone in group 1 who was in the front cabin. Chaos ensued.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by cosflyer
Aussie,
Is it against the rules for a passenger to do that? I was always under the impression it was first come first served for any open bin space (other than F)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.