Question regarding layover/stopover

Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Question regarding layover/stopover

Hi Flyertalkers! I'm looking for some advice/insight into requesting a stopover in Tokyo. I have a RT ticket, ORD-OKA on United with the domestic portion being on ANA. I would like to have a 15-24 hour stopover in Narita without incurring additional charges (willing to absorb change ticket fee, if necessary). Is this possible? I did call United but they said I would have to pay 750.00 to pay for new itin. That is likely the final answer but I thought I would reach out to the United Travel Mavens here to see if there might be any work around that I am not aware of.

Thank you.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lianluo
Hi Flyertalkers! I'm looking for some advice/insight into requesting a stopover in Tokyo. I have a RT ticket, ORD-OKA on United with the domestic portion being on ANA. I would like to have a 15-24 hour stopover in Narita without incurring additional charges (willing to absorb change ticket fee, if necessary). Is this possible? I did call United but they said I would have to pay 750.00 to pay for new itin. That is likely the final answer but I thought I would reach out to the United Travel Mavens here to see if there might be any work around that I am not aware of.

Thank you.
For a regular (non-award) ticket, anything less than 24 hours* is a transfer, not a stopover, and thus does not affect the fare.

However, you'd be subject to current inventory levels and (most likely) pricing.

See what price you can get with matrix.itasoftware.com , then call UA and see if they can find the same price. You will have to pay the change fee plus any difference in fare from what you've already paid.

* 4 hours for itineraries wholly within North America
lianluo likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Thank you, I'll give it a shot!
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.