Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More UA routes with 5k saver awards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Here's the lower saver pricing for every UA destination to/from NYC on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ic-routes-nyc/
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
It’s great they are doing this. The number one complaint I hear from friends and family is how difficult it is to earn miles flying in a revenue-based scheme.

if you are a General Member leisure flyer (i.e., someone with the flexibility to be brand loyal to an airline), it takes a lifetime ($5k) just to get the 25k miles needed for a domestic flight. This changes things and re-incents loyalty.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Use to get some amazing miles deals mci-las (via sfo only) for 7,500 each way. But last few months its been 12,500 each way via (sfo/den/hou/ord).

One thing I wish United would change for CPU's is if there still empty seats up front after all revenue passengers are upgraded they would upgrade mileage tickets for premier's.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhunt
One thing I wish United would change for CPU's is if there still empty seats up front after all revenue passengers are upgraded they would upgrade mileage tickets for premier's.
They do for primary cardholders for some credit cards
Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC
but we are getting OT.
schley and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's not true of domestic coach fares. It's like JetBlue or Southwest where the award price is a function of the lowest available paid fare -- xxx points per $.
DL still has fixed levels for their awards and the award amounts are not a direct function of the cash price like WN or B6. You can find numerous cases where the cash and award amounts do not really line up. For example, looking at DTW-BOS flights on 4/10, the main cabin fares are either $193.30 U fares (4 flights) or $118.30 X fares (3 flights). Meanwhile, the main cabin award level for all 7 flights is the exact same 9K points.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
SFO-RNO is often very expensive. If buying SFO-RNO as O&D, only M fares are often available, as they try to keep the seats in the lower fare buckets for people connecting onwards (e.g., RNO-SFO-SEA).

The new pricing at 8,500 miles is attractive, and I'm certain to be taken advantage of it for upcoming ski trips.
definitely see you on the fares and have paid them, but have also paradoxically found historical saver award plentiful on this route. so on a relative basis I am finding the reduction strangely less. but certainly hear everyone on the capacity point.

that said, skypesos offers considerably better value often in short haul compared even to this... but i'll stick with the lousy shorthaul redemptions on united if they will stop moving to the disastrous DL long-haul / long-haul premium pricing. 400k+ points for business one way booked 8+ months out? come o.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:00 am

Anything out of BOS?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If you aren’t connecting at SFO then you may also wish to consider OAK-RNO which can often be found for $70-79 on WN. The main problem is the lack of nonstops (generally 2-3 per day each way).
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach

that said, skypesos offers considerably better value often in short haul compared even to this...
examples??!!!

I don’t follow DL closely but the best awards I’ve seen reported on blogs were roughly 11-12k one-way that were temporary reductions in otherwise absurd award pricing. DL doesn’t have published chars which makes an apples to apples comparison difficult.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2019 at 9:32 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo

examples??!!!

I don’t follow DL closely but the best awards I’ve seen reported on blogs were roughly 11-12k one-way that were temporary reductions in otherwise absurd award pricing. DL doesn’t have published chars which makes an apples to apples comparison difficult.
I had good luck with PIT-ATL-VPS this summer to invite family down for a beach trip (summer is actually peak tourism season in the FL panhandle unlike the rest of the state) For midweek to midweek, it was pretty wide open for 18K round trip in standard coach (cash price about $350 per ticket) and 23.5K in C+ ($450 cash price) and no problems getting four C+ tickets on flights with daylight departures and arrivals. Allegiant does fly PIT-VPS that time of year and it was like Delta was competing on award space with that rather than cash ticket prices though there never was an advertised award sale.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
If you aren’t connecting at SFO then you may also wish to consider OAK-RNO which can often be found for $70-79 on WN. The main problem is the lack of nonstops (generally 2-3 per day each way).

examples??!!!

DL has had 5K awards on a number of routes for quite some time. For example, on SFO-LAX, BOS-DTW, etc. At one point, they had some awards as low as 3.5K on the SFO-LAX route (this was a couple years ago). There are a number of posts on the DL forum documenting these. In some cases, the lowest awards will require a roundtrip booking. So you can't assume the lowest level seen when doing a one-way search is the lowest possible.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I wonder how they are going to handle MP awards in this more dynamic pricing environment. I just looked for awards on a domestic trip and saw non-stop flights that ranged from 5k to 17k a piece. Those were the ones with XN. In the future, how are they going to price an award if they have to manually create it?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
This is definitely the SkyPesos model of pricing awards to tracking the cash prices, in the vicinity of $0.01/mile

TPG gives an example of EWR-FLL on May 14. Let's pick that.

06:40 $128 12500
08:29 $128 12500
10:30 $128 12500
14:00 $128 12500
16:30 $87 11500
18:00 $87 11500
19:10 $53 6000
20:30 $87 11500

How is this not obviously dynamic award pricing to match cash fares?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
This is definitely the SkyPesos model of pricing awards to tracking the cash prices, in the vicinity of $0.01/mile

TPG gives an example of EWR-FLL on May 14. Let's pick that.

06:40 $128 12500
08:29 $128 12500
10:30 $128 12500
14:00 $128 12500
16:30 $87 11500
18:00 $87 11500
19:10 $53 6000
20:30 $87 11500

How is this not obviously dynamic award pricing to match cash fares?
This is great, thank you for sharing the comparison! I really worry about the dynamic pricing... My main use case is for awards is intercontinental biz and/or short-notice travel. If they get tied to cash values this tightly then it will be a huge devaluation for my use cases.... I'd definitely start evaluating just buying cheapest carrier vs. keeping allegiance to *A
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bhunt
I'm 2-for-2 in getting GA's to add me to the bottom of the upgrade list on an award flight. Both times there were less people on the list than seats available, so I asked for the favor and they did it - and both times I cleared.

Certainly not an official perk, but my results have been good.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No love for LAX-PHX still at 10K miles thru end of May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.